• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use Waze?

ergalthema

Nov 12, 2009
A couple months ago, I noticed that Google Maps rerouted me because of an accident reported by something called Waze. I installed the Waze app, and turn it on when I'm going to be driving for a while. I like it, but I'm more familiar with Google Maps and assume that Maps is better for directions and certain other info. On the other hand, Waze shows me more details about what is reported on the road, and I like contributing my own findings and confirming what is/isn't already there.

It seems like Waze won't notify me of hazards/cops/etc. unless it is open in the foreground, and it seems kind of silly to have Waze and Maps running at the same time anyway.

I guess I don't totally understand the intended use. Is Waze supposed to be used in replacement of Maps? Or should I only use Waze when I know where I'm going, and use Maps when I need to focus on navigation?

Waze and (Google) Maps are two sparate mapping apps. Both provide turn-by-turn navigation. Google recently purchased Waze and some integration between the two apps has begun. Road hazards that Waze users report has begun appearing on Maps. Note that Maps currently has no way of reporting such incidents.

Which app you should use depends on your personal preference. I personally prefer to use Waze. My reasons are that in Waze, you can configure the zoom level and every time you use Waze, it remember what zoom level you were using and displays the map in that same zoom level. Maps always opens in the same zoom level and annoying changes the zoom level throughout my drive. (I don't like that.) I also find that Waze is just way better at recommending routes through traffic. When I compare the suggested routes of Waze and Maps, Waze routes are generally better and saves me time. It also, alters the route if traffic conditions change. I think Maps may do it the same, but at least with Waze, it tells you that it is changing the route. Waze also works without having to enter a destination. I can turn on Waze and can see hazards and other road conditions and traffic information while I'm driving. With Maps, you cannot get the driving navigation view unless you enter a destination to drive to. The overhead view works, but then the screen times out and shuts off.

Waze only notifies you of road hazards if you are using it which to me makes sense. When you select your destination and start navigating, it will give you a summary on the traffic conditions on your route and any reported hazards. When you begin driving and switch to the navigation display, Waze will also pop up with a message to notify you of any new hazards or road conditions whenever you come to a complete stop, such as at a red light. Once you start moving again, the message disappears.

I don't quite understand your last question. I find I cannot use the navigation display in Maps unless I enter a destination. Unless I know where I'm going, using Maps while driving is not possible for me. With Waze, it doesn't matter if I enter a destination or not. I can get the navigation display.

If you wish to contribute to the crowdsourcing information of Waze, then you should use Waze. I use it almost all the time for anything, but short trips. I do that to provide Waze with traffic information (speed) on the roads on which I am driving. Also, if you actually want to report (and confirm) incidents on roads, you will have to use Waze.

Upvote 0
Quick question, I've been thinking about giving Waze a try...can you save places online and then access/navigate on the app? Sort of like 'my places' used to be??

You can save places within the Waze app. There is no online web site or way to enter places. What you can do is within your contacts app on your phone, select an address of your contact and have Waze launch and search that address.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones