• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to wake phone?

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
Now I DO know how to wake the phone by pressing the top button and then sliding the screen lock to the right. Is there a way (perhaps with an app) that you can wake your phone say when your turn your bluetooth headset on? I just want the screen to light up to show me that my BT is connected instead me having to go press that top button.

Also I noticed that when I am on a call, my screen goes to sleep and sometimes I have to shake or wave the phone around in order to get it to wake up! What's up with that?

Even when I get text messages, the phone will stay asleep! I get the notification sound and then I see the green light flash letting me know there is a text message but it doesn't take the phone out of sleep mode until I start unlocking those 2 buttons.

Sometimes at the end of a call the screen stays black and I have no way of tapping the END button and by the time it comes too, its back on the home page again.

I believe all of the behavior your are describing is actually the desired effect. The screen sleeps during a call so you don't cheek dial. When it dims during a call that I take with the handset, as soon as I move it from my ear, it comes back to life and I can press the end button. I only just started using my bluetooth headset today, but I think the screen does stay blank when you use the headset, since you aren't using the proximity sensor. But, why is there a need to press the end button on the screen? I just end the call using my headset.

As for the txt messages, there is an app that will make the screen turn on when a txt msg is received, although I don't know if it unlocks the phone or not, since I didn't install it. Can't remember the name but I think the the dev is Andrew Schwimmer.

As for not having to slide to unlock, I saw someone start a thread the other day about an app to eliminate needing to the slide to unlock. Again, I can't remember the exact thread but you can search for it.

I hear you on being annoyed at having to turn on the screen AND unlock the phone, but I think I tolerate it because the alternative is accidentally dialing people or doing other undesired button presses. On my last phone, I had to enable the keyguard on my own, and sometimes when I would forget to, something in my pocket might hit the button to bring the screen on or I would get an alert or something which turned the screen on and then next thing I knew I had butt dialed someone or started a calendar event that would unfortunately send me a reminder at midnight on a tuesday or something else undesirable, LOL.

Upvote 0
Crankerchick your too funny! LOL! You made some good points but you got me laughing about the "butt dialed" comment! LOL! I am sure those things do happen as I accidently called 3 people at 3 am when I first got the Droid! The app that gets rid of the sliding lock is called SCREEN MODE WIDGET. I would be interested in finding out the text message app you spoke about though.

Upvote 0
Yeah I have called my grandparents twice when I didn't mean to, once at 10:30 pm and they are old people that go to bed at 8 o'clock so that 10:30 pm wasn't really a good thing at all. I actually installed this app called "Not Call Log" from the market which makes the phone go back to any screen you choose after ending a call instead of the default which is to go to the Call Log screen. Both times I accidentally called my grandparents was because I had just taken a call and then set the phone in my lap and accidentally called them from the call log.

I just looked on the market and the app to wake the screen when an SMS is recieved is called SMSAwake.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks that's good, because I wouldn't want it to unlock it for that whole butt dialing reason when it's in my pocket and I receive an SMS.

I read the comments on Handcent SMS and I see a few comments that it caused a lag, so I haven't tried it out. The stock app seems fine to me, I'm not a "power texter" LOL.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones