• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How would someone have scanned my phone number?

CtCarl

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
Hello all, hoping someone in the forum might have an answer for me.

The other day, I was waiting for someone in the parking lot of their apartment complex when some rando walked up to me, called out to his SO, "Hey honey, write this down", and then proceeded to read her the digits of my cell number. He was on foot and I can't see how he could have had a Stingray on him.

It's not a big deal because it was a spare "burner" phone that only gets spam calls and I never answer it anyway, but I'm just curious how he could have managed that.

I'm assuming that it has to be an app, but I've never heard of one that could scan for nearby phones and return numbers.

Me neither. Android apps aren't able to see the phone number of the device they're installed on without being granted explicit permission to do so. And your phone doesn't broadcast your phone number in any way - Bluetooth and Wifi IDs, sure, but not phone number. It's not possible for an Android app to determine the phone number of a nearby phone.

Any chance this guy might have been a magician?

Upvote 0
Me neither. Android apps aren't able to see the phone number of the device they're installed on without being granted explicit permission to do so. And your phone doesn't broadcast your phone number in any way - Bluetooth and Wifi IDs, sure, but not phone number. It's not possible for an Android app to determine the phone number of a nearby phone.

Any chance this guy might have been a magician?

Starting to wonder the same thing myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones