• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How would you improve the Fascinate

Not busting your chops, just making an observation. You state that the Fascinate is probably the best phone on Verizon then go on to list its short comings. I just wanted to point out that with the exception of the FFC you just described the Droid X. :D;)

Except for one big problem. The X isn't as sexy and sleek as the Fascinate... :D

The Fascinate wins hands down for ergonomics and form factor, it's just about perfect in that regard.

I guess in a perfect world, everyone is wishing for the perfect phone in the almost perfect form factor of the Fascinate. :cool:

Upvote 0
I would improve the email (yahoo) and the messenger functionality. I've been a blackberry user and I really loved the fact that my email would come through automatically. It had yahoo messenger factory installed. There is a mobile IM widget/app that comes factory but it leaves MUCH to be desired. I totally had to trash the standard email app for yahoo. I was not receiving my emails after going through all of the set up and trying everything that was listed in the forums. I DL the yahoo mail app and it's working great... so far (only a couple of hours in). The No LED notification is also an annoyance, but I DL NoLed and that seems to work ok. I've said this in other posts, but it could be more pleasing to the eye. Battery life sucks, but I expect that from a phone that does so much. Overall, I LOVE my Fascinate. I've had it for a little over a week and wouldn't go back!

Also - to all on the forums, your posts have really been helpful. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Battery - 2000 mAh
Back plate - make it carbon fiber like the Captivate's
Mic - dual mics, one for noise cancellation
Memory - 16 GB internal (2 GB RAM) and secondary microSD slot
FFC - no reason not to!
CPU - dual-core Orion A9 (check out an article on this)
System - use a more efficient file system like EXT4. Come on, Samsung!
Screen - improve power efficiency, please

Upvote 0
Freaking A! My long Swyped response disappeared! :(

Here we go again...

-Add the X's HDMI out port.
-Add the X/2's keyboard text zoom/cursor placement feature (something similar is rumored to be coming with Froyo).
-Increase battery life.
-Increase camera pixels.
-Add a Captivate-esque rear cover.
-Add the Epic's front facing camera.
-Get rid of the crackle sound when I hold the phone a certain way.
-Fix the GPS issues.
-Give us Froyo!
-Add the ability for the phone to detect nearby cake. Mmmmmmm...cake.

Upvote 0
Front Facing Camera
8GB Internal
Ship with 2.2
the volume (for media) should be louder
An option to delete the uhhh ill say this nicely, crap verizon forces me to have on this phone (which kills my battery)

oh and i also love how were the only galaxy s people who dont get the shipped headphones (not that big of a deal) i use my own expensive ones but i like backup ones I.E my nice expensive ones broke 2 weeks ago (RIP)

EDIT: oh & Led light for notifications & a vibrate switch like on the iphone

Upvote 0
I would appreciate it if the backlight on the capicitative (sp?) touch buttons would stay on a little bit longer.

I concur with the people who want an easier to remove back battery cover as when I put my fingernail to try and pry it off I feel like I'm going to break the phone.

Everyone in this thread raises valid points and most seem to love their Fascinate. Just think how much more we would all like it if none of these issues existed?

Upvote 0
Some of the fixes we all mentioned are coming, some will never come. I must say in terms of my end-user experience running with phone with the 1.2Ghz voodoo enhanced OC kernal has been a dream. Everything snaps and pops. The phone's responsiveness is literally double. Might not have fixed GPS et al but since Im more of a hardware guy anyway it was the best "fix" for me

Upvote 0
1) Provide the un "verizoned" version of Bing if Bing is what we get.

2) Allow me to adjust the hard key backlight time out. Do not dictate the setting to me. I am a big boy, I can decide.

3) Copy the motorola trend of multiple mics to allow for effective noise canceling. I was in a bar and the guy beside me had a D1 and I was able to voice search in a packed bar with the JukeBox blasting hillbilly. This phone is like the Imagio, you have to have silence for it to work.

4) Why all these seperated email apps? With the Imagio you created all the email accounts you want and you just swipe sideways from email #1 to #2 to #3 to#4 to SMS to MMS and back to #1. You could keep adding new accounts, and there was one simple point of entry for all accounts. Just swipe back and forth to see whats up with them. This Gmail seperated from Hotmail seperated from company mail seperated from text is too cumbersome.

5) Allow copy/paste from anywhere to anywhere in the phone... like the 2 year old Imagio did! This is the newest, latest and greatest... yet it has limitations that we didn't have 2 years ago. Does not compute?

6) Drop the USB Micro and go back to USB mini. My external hard drives are mini, my camera is mini, my phones uesed to also be mini.... one common cable for all devices was great! Now we have to go to Micro and buy all new cables/car chargers. Boo-Hiss! Size is so close, there is no real valid argument for that. Maybe if you tell me that micro adds something to the game, but I doubt it does.

7) Put the freaking volume rocker back on the right hand side like every phone made in the last 20 years has had! Imagine buying a new pistol and suddenly the safety is on the right, or maybe it's in front of the trigger guard.... you would be all screwed up! Every time I want to hit volume I hit the power button and turn the dang screen off! Bad idea! Throw the power on top, put the volume back where it belongs!

8) Get the USB Micro port off the top! Geeze, did anyone test this thing in a car with the charger plugged in? Terrible feat of engineering there! This port should be on bottom, or on a lower side corner at least. How this made it past R&D I'll never understand.

Upvote 0
Some of the fixes we all mentioned are coming, some will never come. I must say in terms of my end-user experience running with phone with the 1.2Ghz voodoo enhanced OC kernal has been a dream. Everything snaps and pops. The phone's responsiveness is literally double. Might not have fixed GPS et al but since Im more of a hardware guy anyway it was the best "fix" for me

Does rooting and voodoo made calling quality better? My calls on this phone really suck and its the only issue I have?

Upvote 0
Does rooting and voodoo made calling quality better? My calls on this phone really suck and its the only issue I have?
No, it wont at all. Rooting gives you access to the whole phone and voodoo enhances the filesystem making the device more responsive. Both are great decisions but neither will do a thing for reception/call quality

Upvote 0
6) Drop the USB Micro and go back to USB mini. My external hard drives are mini, my camera is mini, my phones uesed to also be mini.... one common cable for all devices was great! Now we have to go to Micro and buy all new cables/car chargers. Boo-Hiss! Size is so close, there is no real valid argument for that. Maybe if you tell me that micro adds something to the game, but I doubt it does.

I'm on the flip side, all my other devices use Micro so it was a welcome addition for me.

Upvote 0
make it look less like an iPhone. some people have asked if I'm testing the verizon iphone. I hate being mistake for one of job's sheep!
apple-blow-up-sheep.jpg

Upvote 0
1. Have the capacitive buttons glow and fade as a notification, rather than having an LED. This is actually doable since it is software related. And there is a petition somewhere trying to get Samsung to implement this

2. Adjust the time out of the capacitive buttons. (always on when the screen is on would be nice)

3. Fix the freaking GPS

4. Froyo

5. Auto arrange the app drawer by app name (I use LauncherPro so this isn't an issue, but c'mon Samsung, really??)

6. USB on the bottom (Only thing on my list that is not doable with software updates)

I actually like not having internal memory and having it shipped with a 16GB SD card. None of the 3rd party music apps recognize internal memory, from what I've noticed.

Upvote 0
older thread, but i never posted on it, so why not :rolleyes:

1-Obviously phone should have launced with 2.2, inexcusable that a phone launched from the summer on didnt. They should have just delayed the sgs until it was ready, rather than program to os revisions. even though 5 million sgs phones have sold, im sure there are a few thousand here and there on different carriers that didnt even consider a 2.1 phone

2-g..........p..............s...........

3-more internal storage...obviously more can be fit in here.....*cough* captivate....4 gb should have been min, 8 optimum

4-ummm....lets see different file system other than rfs (or at least a less buggy rfs) to reduce lag, and let the phone run at its true potential

5-no bing...android phones=google

6-less plastic-y feel, make it more solid like the droid x

7-pipe dream...but stock android, no tw....or at the very least make touchwiz less intrusive...seriously tw controls or has its hands in everything which makes development more complicated (and for that matter porting themes a real b*tch with 2 frameworks, vs uh 1 on everything else)

8-added noise cancelling mic ala droid x

9-led for notifications....seriously (although with bln i dont care anymore)

10-not that it would help me per say, but for the devs...cleaner code of this phone...from my understanding its virtually identical brother the mesmorize has done a much better job

edit: also looking back on posts the memory issue (discussed at lengths elsewhere) is a non-starter. the phone has 512 mb or fam, just 180 or so is dedicated to graphics, thus not available to us. also the froyo .29 (eclair) cant read more than 256 anyway. .32 (froyo) can

Upvote 0
1- A better external speaker, distorts to easily when on speakerphone.

2- GPS that locks on sats in a timely manner.

3- The choice to either select google or Bing. ( I guess some folks actually like Bing)

4-Signal bar and dbm readings that are accurate.

5-HDMI out cable, 1080P video @ 30fps

6-Bottom lights that are controllable. Turn on, off and set duration of time for either. (Dincs lights stayed on and made it irritating to browse when dark)

7-The ability to use as a remote for TV, garage door and alarm sys.

8-The ability to remove all VZW and TW crap that WE DON'T WANT OR NEED ON OUR PHONE. (This is probably the biggest annoyance that will force me into rooting) Not to mention Bing. :)

9-Dual mikes

10- Landscape or portrait mode incorporated in TW home screens. ( I know ADW has that)

11-More freakin widgets Sammy ! sheesh. That is one thing I realy miss from the Dinc.

12-Front facing camera w/led that could be turned on or off. (LED could also serve as notification light)

13-Optical trac pad. (sure is handy while texting when you make as many mistake as I do)

14-All external speaker volumes to be as loud as the speaker phones volume. (man that thing blasts !) GPS turm by turn volume useless.

15-Another speaker to take full advantage of the 5.1 SRS surround sound built into the music player. Seems like there is plenty of room on the bottom of the phone.

16-Back cover w/kickstand (carbon fiber w/gold inlays would be nice)

Now don't get me wrong here, this is just a reply to the OP'er.
If I had to make a list of things that I liked about the phone there would not be enough room in this forum to write it all down. Thank you and good evening :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones