• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's your battery life?

Does anyone know if there is an app or a way to switch this phone to 2G mode? (edge).....
that used to save battery on my previous gsm phone.....
i was not able to find any app on the market that would work with CDMA phones.....(few HTC ones may be)....So is it possible on CDMA or not (i mean the switch from 3g to 2g)?

Upvote 0
its a very common issue for most of the newer smart phones, faster processors drain more battery life..slower processor..well no one wants them :)
they will have to research on making better batteries. only this that works i to see if you can find a bigger battery, more MAH (which requires diffrent casing too).
Actually thats not necessarily true. With newer processing technologies making the processors smaller ie, 32nm to 25nm, those newer, processors take up less power and have the potential to be equal or faster in speed because they use less energy. This concept is working for both the laptop and the mobile markets. Using less power equals better battery. For example, the razr maxx has two cores. Two cores should equal more power unless the manufacturing process is smaller allowing for less power usage per core. The Maxx gets two whole days of usage or one to one and a half days of heavy/ moderate usage.
[Edit: I do feel kinda bad about using the razr as an example as it has a 3200 mAh battery but laptops are still a good example of how we are seeing longer battery life]

Anyways, sorry for the rant. My TU gets about a day and a half to two days of being unplugged. I let my phone die completely and i recharge it completely. I can say that I have moderate usage on it. I keep my bluetooth, wifi, auto sync, auto rotate, and gps off (when i dont need them) and my screen at a visibly low setting. I dont run those "battery savers" but i will say that I believe that having your apps on your sd card will keep some not all apps from starting when you start your phone. I use android assistant to keep those unwieldy apps from starting at boot and also to shut them down when I feel like it.

Upvote 0
Actually thats not necessarily true. With newer processing technologies making the processors smaller ie, 32nm to 25nm, those newer, processors take up less power and have the potential to be equal or faster in speed because they use less energy. This concept is working for both the laptop and the mobile markets. Using less power equals better battery. For example, the razr maxx has two cores. Two cores should equal more power unless the manufacturing process is smaller allowing for less power usage per core. The Maxx gets two whole days of usage or one to one and a half days of heavy/ moderate usage.
[Edit: I do feel kinda bad about using the razr as an example as it has a 3200 mAh battery but laptops are still a good example of how we are seeing longer battery life]

You may be right about the newer nano technology consuming less energy...but thats not the case with RAZR max....it simply has a better battery. double capacity than before.

they need to come up with newer battery technology....like they did 8-10 years ago....NiMh vs NiCd...was a GREAT leap!

Upvote 0
Lithium reacts violently to air and water which is why we have lithium ion batteries instead of just lithium batteries. Recently however a researcher was able to coat lithium in a special material and allow it to touch both air and water which somehow allows higher density and longer lasting batteries.. more in the link.

www.polyplus.com/time.html

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Upvote 0
I was really hoping to necro an old thread I saw chev make but couldn't find it... I was browsing amazon for a new case today and came across this gem.. haven't used it yet but I know a few of us have been looking for something like this..

An extended battery and battery cover for 20 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007577LZS/ref=mp_s_a_6?qid=1337014086&sr=8-6

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Upvote 0
install JuiceDefender. i use my phone a lot. i charge it from 11:30 pm to 6:00 am and 100%. at around 9:00 pm the battery is at 30% to 40%

+1 to this. Juice Defender has kept my phone going quite well. I don't really need to charge it until I go to bed at night.

Coming from a Blackberry Curve that would die halfway through my workday, it's been lovely to not have to charge several times a day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones