• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HP Touchpad with ICS "SD Card Removed" Problem

I was not ignoring the advice you give. I had got somewhat different advice on sullin's thread so was trying to understand the right thing to do.

It was not just what you posted in #38 but I was reading your previous posts as well. If you really want to help people which I guess you do that is why you are on these forums answering people's queries, you need to be more patient.

Coming back to the solution, Thanks once again. I will increase my internal storage. Can I just make the entire size as my internal storage? I.e. make my sd card partition 0?
OK I just read in sullin's thread nit to take over the SD card?
Can someone explain why if it is just a partition?
Also, he talks about a safety margin but does not specify what it is. What us the bare minimum I must leave on my SD card partition?

Upvote 0
I was not ignoring the advice you give. I had got somewhat different advice on sullin's thread so was trying to understand the right thing to do.

It was not just what you posted in #38 but I was reading your previous posts as well. If you really want to help people which I guess you do that is why you are on these forums answering people's queries, you need to be more patient.

Coming back to the solution, Thanks once again. I will increase my internal storage. Can I just make the entire size as my internal storage? I.e. make my sd card partition 0?

I supposed you could try. Just wondering what all those installed programs are going to use for their data and settings are going to do if you take away all the SD card which is where they store that kind of stuff.

Each time one runs the 2048 memory fix, another two GB of SD card space is given to the /data partition. I have seen folks run it twice without apparent side affects. Beyond that, you are in uncharted territory and live with the unknown consequences which could be permanently bricking your TouchPad.

Upvote 0
OK I just read in sullin's thread nit to take over the SD card?
Can someone explain why if it is just a partition?
Also, he talks about a safety margin but does not specify what it is. What us the bare minimum I must leave on my SD card partition?

There is only one person that I know of that can answer that question, and that it the man himself, J.C. Sullins. Good luck getting an answer, he is not what I would call the talkative type.

Just curious, why are you so intent on increasing your internal memory to such a large size?

And just for grins, why don't you try posting your question in that thread and see if someone provides an answer. Sullins has surprised me before. You never know when you catch him in the mode to talk.

Upvote 0
If it gets too big, tailor could be used to make it smaller.

A data partition bigger than 4 gb is wasteful and asking for trouble.
OK I get you. The data partition or internal storage is for installing the apps and the SD card partition is for all the settings and data related to apps and other data like music/pictures. I have been reading the other threads. I have logged into the rootzwiki forum but it is not allowing me to reply to that thread of sm7 card fix.

One last question, hopefully, is that thread talks about backing up off of the touchpad. How do I do that? NT I read your thread on Preware and webos quick installs. Is that the only way? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it is not working for me. I am getting "no device is connected" when I ran WebOS Quick Installs even though I rebooted in WebOS, enabled developer mode and can see the device as a drive on my computer and palms novacom is also running. I even used the original HP cable. So apart from Preware and WebOs QuickInstalls, is there a way to backup or transfer my backup to my computer? When I connect my computer to my touchpad, I cannot see the backup folders on my internal storage partition, only the sdcard partition.

Upvote 0
OK I get you. The data partition or internal storage is for installing the apps and the SD card partition is for all the settings and data related to apps and other data like music/pictures. I have been reading the other threads. I have logged into the rootzwiki forum but it is not allowing me to reply to that thread of sm7 card fix.

One last question, hopefully, is that thread talks about backing up off of the touchpad. How do I do that? NT I read your thread on Preware and webos quick installs. Is that the only way? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it is not working for me. I am getting "no device is connected" when I ran WebOS Quick Installs even though I rebooted in WebOS, enabled developer mode and can see the device as a drive on my computer and palms novacom is also running. I even used the original HP cable. So apart from Preware and WebOs QuickInstalls, is there a way to backup or transfer my backup to my computer? When I connect my computer to my touchpad, I cannot see the backup folders on my internal storage partition, only the sdcard partition.

You'll have to register on that forum to be able to post and reply there.

Backuping up one's TouchPad is done using either ClockworkMod Recovery or TeamWin Recovery Project(TWRP) recovery. If this is something you don't understand or have not done yet, ask and I'll explain in more detail.

As far as saving a copy of the backup one makes with the recovery program, it's just a matter of copying that over to one's PC using Windows Explorer. The backup is stored on the SD card in the ClockworkMod/backup folder or the TWRP/backup folder depending on which recovery one uses. And I strongly suggest you use usb mode through WebOS, not MTP mode through Android.

Upvote 0
So it seems like yj understand the issues around the SD card, mine is slightly different but because it seems so similar I haven't gotten any real help. My SD card is missing. All I get is the allocated space and my ICS won't let me download anything right to it.. it says "SD card missing" could you please help me with this?

Upvote 0
So it seems like yj understand the issues around the SD card, mine is slightly different but because it seems so similar I haven't gotten any real help. My SD card is missing. All I get is the allocated space and my ICS won't let me download anything right to it.. it says "SD card missing" could you please help me with this?

I'm going to paste a small guide I wrote that should help after you go read the entire thread here: CM7: Fixes for SDCARD issues - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

********************paste*****************************

You can try running the memory fix, however, it is almost certain that it will fail.
No harm is done by trying, and you just might get lucky and it finishes with “Success”.

As has been mentioned, moving apps to the SD card to free up internal memory will
eventually hit the “50 app limit” and the SD card will become unmounted. One has
a couple of options avail to them. Uninstall Android and start over. Once you
are done installing Android, run the memory size fix and immediately reboot to
initialize the fix.

Another option is to follow J.C’s instructions on how to move your apps back to
internal memory. If there is not enough room to move them all, you are going to
have to uninstall enough apps to make room in internal memory.

Once you have accomplished this, then you can try running the memory fix, but expect
it to fail. Now make a nandroid backup and save a copy on your PC for safety. Run
ACMEUninstaller to reset your TouchPad memory and uninstall Android. You will need
to copy the CM.zip rom, cwm6 and Moboot to the cminstall folder and use ACMEInstaller3
to reinstall. Don’t worry about installing gapps. Once the install is done, boot to
CM to make sure the install was successful. Now go back to cwm and install the memory
size fix of your choice. When it is done, reboot immediately to initialize the install.
You can check settings/storage and you will see you now have the original 1.48GB plus
the additional you flashed. So for example, if you installed the 2048GB fix, you will
now have 3.48GB of internal memory. Now restore your nandroid backup and you are back
to where you were with lots of internal memory. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones