• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire 3g problem

I had this issue just now on a few days old Desire on O2. I had tried turning it off and taking battery out and turning it back on last night to no avail, as well as airplane mode. Tried airplane mode this morning but left it for a good minute and it worked.

I also have uninstalled the following apps:
3G Watchdog
PcktAuctions
K9 Email (I figured this might have caused the below issue)

I had an issue with SMS messages last night as well where I received duplicate messages from a friend that he'd sent a few hours prior, a few times. It was bizarre and annoying. It seems to have happened to a few other people, but it's hard digging out the info as I tend to get results for sending duplicates, rather than receiving them! Maybe it could have been related to the data network being glitchy?

Upvote 0
Hi All,

In a nutshell, in my workplace, i have used a Nokia N73/N95/N97 with 3uk monthly contract. Both Data and phone connections have been great, with watching iplayer streams and surfing web posing no problems at all.

Now i have the HTC Desire, using the same sim.

I know there is a good strong 3uk connection here as i can watch both youtube and iplayer streams fine on my laptop using my dongle.

However on the HTC Desire i pretty much only get a G connection, with the voice signal saying roaming (to Orange) i think.

If i go into the "Wireless and Networks" settings, and change the mobile network mode to WCDMA only, i then get the H icon, but it doesn't get any arrows up and down under it when i try to connect.

Whe the signal "drops" down to 3G the connection is perfectly fine for both surfing and downloading.

HOWEVER, it keeps changing between H 3G and dropping out altogether.

So then i have to re-enable GSM/WCDMA to auto, and i'm back to the roaming connections again. AND the big problem with this (data speed aside) is that when there IS a G data connection in use, all calls are rejected.

Is this a hardware issue? or can a later firmware update sure this.

Upvote 0
ok i now have this issue after a month

3g keeps dropping out and mostly it wont connect now
if i go to settings the mobile network is stuck on "turning on"

i also have 3g watchdog but is there anyway to uninstall (to test if its that) it if you cant get online?

airplabe mode on and off doesnt work, and neither does switching it off/on/battery out etc

edit: im on orange, midlands, uk

edit2: it came back. i deleted 3g watchdog and opera, worked for 20 minutes and now again no internet acesss

Upvote 0
What other applications do you have? My problem hasn't come back since I uninstalled the above apps and did the airplane thing. I'm not saying this is a fix, just that it worked for me.

Interestingly when I had this problem I had the issue with the SMS's coming in duplicated too. A friend in my area commented that she received a few texts at 5am in the morning, which had been sent the night before. She was also on O2, suggesting some kind of localised signal problem on the network.

I'm left wondering whether potentially this might have something to do with why O2 isn't releasing the desire on their network until they've done "further tests". What if there's something that might happen on their network periodically which might just delay messages and the likes on other phones, but causes the desire to lose its 3G connection for extended periods of time?

Upvote 0
Problem is not about signal strength, my mobile operator signal mostly is strong (3 or 4 bars).

But, it cannot get data connection, no downstream traffic.

It works intermittently.

I am in the process of changing the provider (moving to Vodafone.NL). Let see if it will make difference.

This seems really strange. I didn't bother changing anything, but in London I get a strong 3G signal.

Upvote 0
I got my new desire on Tuesday and found that the signal strength indicator always showed I was roaming (with my official 3 sim in and connected to a 3 cell?!?)

I only realised when I took the phone to work (which looks like it has a better 3G/HSPA coverage) that the problem only happens when the phone is trying to camp onto a GSM (2G) cell.

After a torturous 2 hour support call to a call-centre in India I was eventually given a handset replacement. It is due to arrive on Friday.

Upvote 0
i had the same problem on orange, no internet connection even though it said H or 3g, when i had it on gsm/wcdma auto. so i did a phone reset and when i want to use 3g or H, i leave it on wcdma. and so far its been working.

I have also switched to WCDMA instead of the auto setting and I now have a reliable HSPDA ("H") connection whereas before I was only getting "G" or "E". No idea where "3G" went - I've never seen it on this phone - but I found this summary of the different types of technology helpful:

1. WCDMA is a 3G technology while GSM is a 2G technology
2. GSM is slowly being phased out in favor of WCDMA
3. GSM is still more widespread than WCDMA
4. WCDMA and GSM use different frequency bands
5. WCDMA offers much faster data speeds than GSM
6. WCDMA will soon replace GSM

So WCDMA seems to be the way ahead.

I'm on O2 Textandweb Pay As You Go and while I've been trying to sort out my connection I have received no help from O2. Even though they sell the HTC Desire they refuse to support PAYG customers. Sigh.

Reactions: mikeot
Upvote 0
Hmmm, I was thinking about getting a Desire as my first Android phone, looking though this thread, ones about batteries and SD cards etc now I'm not so sure.....

Knowing what you do now, would you have bought the Desire?

Abso-bloody-lutely!! You only hear about the niggles remember and not all users get them. The forum would be a different place if every member/user posted up the positives.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Been having a problem with my HTC Desire similar to what's been happening in this thread where it seems to drop off the 3g/data settings.

I work from home so usually I have mobile off (which i presume switches 3G off, as when i have it off the 3G icon disappears) and wifi on, this means that I can use my phone to make calls send texts but I can't use the browser or any application that uses the internet without having wifi turned on.

hope that makes sense.

Anyway, the last 2/3 days I've been having problems receiving SMS messages and they would only come through if I made a call or had 3G on constantly.

Text messages will come through if I make a call or if I have 3G on, however sometimes the phone drops completely off 3g even though i have it switched on with the little mobile HTC widget.

When I go to networks and connections it says:

mobile network: turning on, and it will just remain like that, it will not turn on to the mobile network i.e. 3G

Currently I have Mobile on and wifi off and have got a constant 3G in the icon bar. If I turn wifi on, my mobile internet will turn off and I will drop off 3G (or at least the icon disapearing suggests so)

Settings are WCDMA/GSM auto, I'd have no problem with switching to WCDMAA only except in some areas you can't get a WCDMA signal and only a GSM signal so i'd rather not play around with this setting.

Any body have any further information which may help?

Thank you

Mark

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am with Virgin in the Uk and only get GPRS connection I have never had 3G connection since I got the phones which was nearly 3 weeks ago and I live in a very strong signal area after checking virgin website.

So this is a bug then? What is the easiest work around to connect to 3G?

I'm on O2, not Virgin, but have the same issue living in a strong 3G area. I have contacted HTC customer support who, to their credit, have been quick to respond. Here's what we've said to each other so far:

Me:
I cannot get 3G on my HTC Desire - I have never once seen the "3G" connection icon despite living and working in an area where other people on the same phone network (O2) get 3G all the time. This appears to be a handset-specific problem and a quick search on the internet reveals that many other people are experiencing the same problem. If I switch to WCDMA only I pick up "H", but this is no good if I move into an area where "H" isn't yet available and want to use "3G". On GSM/WCDMA auto, I can only get "G" or "E", never "3G". Do I have a faulty handset? My network provider seems to think so.

HTC: The WCDMA settings should give you 3G when H is not available. The issue you are having is most likely related to signal strength. If you don't get 3G when set to WCDMA only when you are in an area that has yet to receive HSXPA please get back to us so we can escalate this issue to see if it an issue with the software in our Desire devices or an isolated instance so it then can be rectified as soon as possible.

Me: Using WCDMA only, I can confirm that when I am in an area where I can't pick up HSXPA, the handset does not switch to 3G. Instead, I lose my connection altogether.

HTC: Thank you for the information, I will forward this on to the tech team and they will have a look at it And I will get back to you as soon as I have any further information.

Reactions: mikeot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones