• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire battery lasts 4 hours

I'm wondering how many of the people claiming to have crappy battery life actually charged the battery properly when they first got the phone and do a proper charging cycle with their battery rather than just randomly plugging it in whenever they are near a charger....

I get nearly 2 days out of my Desire with pretty constant usage, wifi on at home, 3g out and about, RSS and other data feeds updating hourly. I use Taskiller Pro to kill stuff if I have left it open...

Ben

Upvote 0
The battery life on my Desire is so poor, even on days with hardly any use, that I am involved in a serious discussion with HTC about it. Their latest idea (process of elimination) is for me to reset the phone to factory data reset, but this is such a drastic step, that I am seeking others advice first. I am likely to lose data and have the hassle of resetting everything up again from scratch. Is there anyone out there who can see that this step would actually help improve my battery life? Or would it be a waste of time and effort? I have tried a new battery, the problem is just the same, and by running the phone on airplane mode for eleven hours, after which the battery showed 100% full, they tell me that the phone and battery are not faulty. Should I reset or not?

Upvote 0
I'm wondering how many of the people claiming to have crappy battery life actually charged the battery properly when they first got the phone and do a proper charging cycle with their battery rather than just randomly plugging it in whenever they are near a charger....
Ben

If they aren't doing a regular charging cycle, and if they're just plugging it in whenever they're near a charger, then they are actually using the battery the way it's intended.

I can't believe the amount of people who are still stuck in the nickel-cadmium battery mindset from years ago. To be totally fair the sales staff in mobile phone shops tend to be the same way too.

Upvote 0
The battery life on my Desire is so poor, even on days with hardly any use, that I am involved in a serious discussion with HTC about it. Their latest idea (process of elimination) is for me to reset the phone to factory data reset, but this is such a drastic step, that I am seeking others advice first. I am likely to lose data and have the hassle of resetting everything up again from scratch. Is there anyone out there who can see that this step would actually help improve my battery life? Or would it be a waste of time and effort? I have tried a new battery, the problem is just the same, and by running the phone on airplane mode for eleven hours, after which the battery showed 100% full, they tell me that the phone and battery are not faulty. Should I reset or not?

Have to side with HTC.

Do you have a Flickr account set up? If so that's your issue.

Footie and skynews apps are also known battery drains

What apps do you have, and what sync settings for email and Facebook?

Upvote 0
Ive just checked my partial usage stats and it seems calendar is using the majority of my battery :s i dont see how, i do have a few reminders enabled but surely this doesnt entitle the app to stay active :S can anybody shed any light into this issue

It probably isn't the calendar. Some apps don't report what they are properly and are known to be labelled as calendar. Get rid of any apps that could be constantly or frequently updating.

If your battery isn't lasting long, it isn't a fault with the phone or the batttery. It's something you're doing wrong, or an app that isn't working as it should. This has been very heavily covered. Read the sticky threads at the top of the forum, that's what they are there for. If after trying everything in those you still don't see an improvement, then start a thread about it. Otherwise you're just going over things that have been covered to death before.

Reactions: nx1977
Upvote 0

My average battery drain is 3% per hour, with Bluetooth off and GPS and 3G on, no Flickr account, and hourly syncing of Google Agenda and Exchange, and with a known battery drainer, the company push mail app Good Technology).
A collegae of mine had a battery problem with his HTC Desire (fully drained in like 6 hours, battery constantly warm). We checked every hint given in these forums and applied the same settings as with my Desire, since it was only showing that 'Android system' was using the juice, at last a hard reset was the only thing that really cured it for him. Only difference between his and my phone; he had +2500 contacts stored which seemed to disturb things.
After the hard reset, his battery drain is about on par with mine.

So i would say it's worth the effort. Also i would advise you to keep the phone stock for a few days to determine if it's performing well battery wise. Then after that, apply your apps one at a time

Upvote 0
Talked to hTC support and they informed me that they are aware of the poor battery performance. Their engineers are working to fix the problem but have no idea what is causing it. They expect to have a fix out sometime in the future.

Annoying that they are still selling the phone with this major defect. I am getting six hours just using the cell phone and everything else switched off.I do like the the phone but it is off little use with such a short battery life.

Upvote 0
Annoying that they are still selling the phone with this major defect. I am getting six hours just using the cell phone and everything else switched off.I do like the the phone but it is off little use with such a short battery life.

Except they are not selling a phone with a major defect, including me I know 6 people with Desires and we all get over 30 hours battery life with medium to heavy use.

You must have a dodgy battery.

Upvote 0
Mine goes down about 20% an hour with heavy use only, internet / youtube. However when on standby it will only lose about one or two percent an hour. Streaming seems to drain battery quickly so does GPS / satnav. Does seem like something wrong if high battery loss when phone is idol.

Hope you can sort it soon :)

Upvote 0
Except they are not selling a phone with a major defect, including me I know 6 people with Desires and we all get over 30 hours battery life with medium to heavy use.

You must have a dodgy battery.

I'm sorry but there is no way on earth you will get 30 hours out of a single Desire charge under medium to heavy usage...absolutely NO WAY!

I know about 6 people with desires and most use them regularly throughout the day and every one of us has to charge it every night.

Depends what your definition of Heavy usage is...Im talking an hour or so calls and a good 2 hours internet...plus texting and maybe navigation....some days I can get to 3 o'clock and need to charge it!

Upvote 0
I have to charge my desire two, sometimes three times a day and am getting sick of it to be honest. I have hardly used it today and am already getting low battery warnings after trying the "hey this officially works thread"

I have used a few SMS, Whatsapp messages. Brightness is on mid, no BT, Wifi is on and thats it. Its shocking

Upvote 0
5-6 hours use from a full charge? That's either a faulty battery or there's an app that's using the CPU 100% of the time. My Desire would last about 5-6 hours of constant game playing.

It's also possible to get 2-3 days use IF all the features are turned off, thus rendering your Smartphone a Dumbphone.

Most people, myself included, have apps that update every 1-2 hours, use the internet, use email, and communicate with friends via Twitter and Facebook. My daily routine now includes a couple of hours charging at work and the same at home in the evening, and my battery rarely falls below 30%.

I use my Desire as it was intended, and stay well clear of pointless applications such as task killers that cause more battery drain than they prevent.

My laptop can do everything my Desire can do, but that lasts less than 2 hours and won't fit in my pocket.

Overall, I'm very happy with my phone AND it's battery performance, considering how much amazing stuff I can do with it.

Upvote 0
Read the battery section in the FAQ at the top of the forum. If you can honestly say you've tried all of that, I'll believe you had a dodgy battery. But it's infinitely more likely that either you have a dodgy app, or you simply don't know how to use the phone correctly.

Of course I am aware how to use the phone and have read through this forum. You do realise that there is more than one person suffering from this ussue too? So I do not appreciate you telling me that I am not using the phone correctly.

Its hardly constructive and doesn't entice too many people to come back when we are being told we don't know or are not using the phone properly. I use a number of apps on my phone and will continue to do so. So I am not going to post and gloat that I send three SMS and the occasional email within a certain timeframe so that I can tell everyone on here that my phone lasted 246 hours straight. That defeats the object of this phone

I noticed people saying that their batteries lasting 40+ hours with minimal use, well get a cheaper handset then because a Desire is obviously not for them.

Upvote 0
Battety saving tip!

I have tried everything to get longer battery, Even bought the extended battery with the bigger case on the back of the phone, It didnt even last as long as the original!!!

The best way for me and if you are willing to do so is to turn off the 3G down to GSM only and it will save your battery buy a large amount.

When you are in an area that does not have a 3G signal your phone constantly tries to find the signal and in doing this will drain the battery even when the phone is idle.

Give it a try, Hopefully you will notice the benefits i have.

Settings>
Wireless&Networks>
Mobile Networks>
Network Mode>
Then change to GSM only. DONE!

Upvote 0
Of course I am aware how to use the phone and have read through this forum. You do realise that there is more than one person suffering from this ussue too? So I do not appreciate you telling me that I am not using the phone correctly.

Its hardly constructive and doesn't entice too many people to come back when we are being told we don't know or are not using the phone properly. I use a number of apps on my phone and will continue to do so. So I am not going to post and gloat that I send three SMS and the occasional email within a certain timeframe so that I can tell everyone on here that my phone lasted 246 hours straight. That defeats the object of this phone

I noticed people saying that their batteries lasting 40+ hours with minimal use, well get a cheaper handset then because a Desire is obviously not for them.

I browse the internet for maybe an hour a day on wifi, 30-60 minutes of phone calls, between 100 and 200 texts, syncing three news feeds regularly, download an app or two and some updates daily, and play about an hour of games on it a day to while away the bus journey...And I normally have about 50% left after a 07:00-23:00 period off charge. I can assure you, the battery is fine. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones