• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Windows 8 and sync

Rogermare

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
I am running out of ideas how to trouble shoot this problem and I'd welcome any help.
I have a HTC Desire Runing Android 2.2 it is not rooted
I am trying to get the phone to sync the music with windows media player (12.0.9200) running on windows 8

WMP does not recognize the HTC as a device it can sync to

When I install HTC Sync (3.3.21)[latest from htc site] it recognises the phone but does not recognize the playlists in windows media player. It displays old playlists (I assume it gets these from the HTC as they have never existed on the windows machine (recently replaced)) There seems o be no way to force an update between sync and WMP

I have also tried installing HTC Sync manager (1.1.87.0) and it finds all of the windows media files and playlists fine and they can be manipulated etc. However, I cannot get it to recognize the Desire.

I have tried installing the sync programs on their own and together and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am careful to reboot the computer and the phone before and after each installation.

The order was
Install 1.1.87.0 - failed/removed/reboot
Installed 3.3.21 - Failed/ removed/reboot
Re-installed 3.3.21 (hoping driver from this would make Installed 1.1.87 work -but it failed so removed/ Which went wrong so had to restore to earlier point before any of the software installed.

There are 3 possible solutions that would work for me (in desirability order)
1 .. Get HTC sync 3.3.21 to recognise changes in WMP
or
2 .. Get HTC sync manager 1.1.87 to recognise the HTC desire
or
Install another application which would let me transfer the music and playlists between phone and computer. (I of course would prefer freeware)

Any help welcome

Welcome to the forums, Roger.

Well, I can tell you this: Windows 8 is one finicky animal. I have a nice new HP M7 and W8 had to uninstall my usb 3.0 drivers because of conflict issues. I was a bit startled to say the least.

I think drivers are your issue, and that W7 would have no problem with your media desires (nor would XP, come to think of it ;)).

I wish I could be more help, but I'm sure experts in HTC will chime in over time if you keep an eye on this thread. Meanwhile, I hope I've influenced you to go on a mad search for drivers for everything involved, and see if you can use the "compatibility feature" in Windows 8 to force them to work. :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones