• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Evo, 1 month fine. Then, no reception bars. NEW replacement, same prob till act. MARKET

So I'm pretty annoyed. Just got a brand new replacement Evo. Drove home, 4G 2 out of 3 bars. Good reception bars. Got home, added emails, etc.
ADDED MY GMAIL INTO THE MARKET TO ACTIVATE and the reception bars went to nothing.

This is the problem I had with the original, it would flash 5 bars, then 0 for a while, 5 for a split second then nothing. Can't receive calls, make them, text, nothing.

What the H is going on, this thing is brand new and had bars when I got home for quite a few minutes. Tried off 4G, still no bars.

Had the 1st Evo for a month, no problem till Dec 2, curious, right after 4G started. But, I really thing I pinned it to something with the market.

So I cleared the cache, data on the Market. Forced stop, uninstalled updates. All to get the market unactivated, but it still has these awful wavering bars with no reception.

I have Sprint.

PLEASE ADVISE!

Is Your house in 4g network area? Because I have heard rumors that sprint uses verizon when you are not under their 4g. Problem is verizon won't let sprint use their 3g so you are actually using 2g. That being said you would have pretty bad service. Ask around though see what other thoughts you get.

Actually that may be t-mobile I'm thinking of..maybe someone else has heard of this and can clear it up.

Upvote 0
Wrong section, a mod needs to move this to the Evo section.

Also... that sounds like it could either be the phone (doubtful, this IS your second with identical problems), or in all likelihood, it could be Sprint. I know IOWA went through something like this. His phone would drop reception completely, 4g, 3g, or 1x, just as yours is. I say call in, and ask about what's going on. It turned out there was a network problem where IOWA was, and it was fixed in a couple days.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android Forums!

It sounds like you're in an area with intermittent coverage. And if you're in a "building" you might be running into interference issues too. If you walk outside do the bars come back? If you're standing outside the Sprint store, do the bars come back? Or is your reception always jumping between bars?

Upvote 0
It's jumping between bars, literally flashing full bars for 1 second back to none. And it all worked fine on 3G till Dec 2.

They created an engineer ticket that day to check the tower and event boards, and said whatever it was was resolved yesterday at 4am.

Still think it has something to do with the "Market" app when activated it, because it was connecting fine before that.

Upvote 0
The market app accesses the data network on the 4G radio... and shouldn't ever touch the CDMA radio. It would make sense if they were having issues with a nearby tower. The best way to prove that is to check the signal strength when away from home. If it's inconsistent everywhere then there's a good chance that something in the handset is causing you problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones