• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO 3D: Full specs for TECHIES & DUMMIES!

Loads of news today! Thank all you guys for acquiring all the info! And what does that mean for the phone Novox?

It means the E3D will have power management support of NFC, but that doesn't mean it will be equipped with NFC. It opens the door to the possibility though. NFC through the SD card like what's been discussed around here. I wouldn't include this info in the OP. Just reporting that there was a brief mention of NFC in the schematics.

Upvote 0
This is what I posted but I can remove it all together if you believe it isn't really something note worthy:

Novox77 has confirmed that there will be NFC support with the PM8058 chip through for any 3rd party's NFC chip, like FeliCa chip (Keep in mind this is not an actual NFC chip). A little bit more info about this discovery can be found farther down in this thread: HTC EVO 3D for DUMMIES!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I found one website that listed support for for HID profiles under the bluetooth specs, meaning that the 3d should support ps3 controllers and wiimotes for gaming, as well as bluetooth keyboards etc.. Can this be confirmed by anyone as being correct?

I'm hoping someone can confirm this. I've been wanting to connect a wiimote to my EVO for quite some time without having to get rid of sense.

Upvote 0
page 20 of 43 on that Schematics PDF: There is an AMBER and GREEN LED!

Am I remembering correctly that the EVO 4G had two separate notification areas (e.g. one on front and one on back)?

(Given that these are coming from adjacent pins, I suspect it's like what I've seen on the Shift where the front LED changes from amber while charging to green when it's done charging, which presumably requires a green and amber LED. The only other LED references I see are apparently for the camera flash.)

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Am I remembering correctly that the EVO 4G had two separate notification areas (e.g. one on front and one on back)?

(Given that these are coming from adjacent pins, I suspect it's like what I've seen on the Shift where the front LED changes from amber while charging to green when it's done charging, which presumably requires a green and amber LED. The only other LED references I see are apparently for the camera flash.)

There are two notifications lights on the front of the EVO 4G in the speaker at the top. The one on the left is for the charger, which is green and amber, then there is one on the right that flashes when you get a text or some other notifcation like an email. I believe this is green and amber as well, but I cannot remember what it was originally like since I have flashed...right now it is a darker green than the one the charger has on the left.

Upvote 0

You are correct Cobalt. (in the Evo 3D) This is one LED that does 2 colors or two adjacent LED's that do one color a piece slightly angled toward center. Low Battery amber, green fully charged/notifications just like on the Evo 4G's native notification area. Based upon my perusing of the document it appears there is only one native location for notifications and a dual LED flash for the camera.

Upvote 0
I found one website that listed support for for HID profiles under the bluetooth specs, meaning that the 3d should support ps3 controllers and wiimotes for gaming, as well as bluetooth keyboards etc.. Can this be confirmed by anyone as being correct?

I did try to find any reference to this in the schematics, but came up empty. I think the BT stack stuff is all software, so it wouldn't be there. Don't think we can confirm this one until we try to pair a HID device to the phone.....

Hmm, you may be right. One of the notification lights on the Evo changes from amber to green based on charge, as you say. And then there's the other LED on the Evo that is a darker green on the right side that was not used by the factory ROM. Later, devs found it and started to use it for various notification purposes. Yeah, might need to backtrack on this one. :(

Upvote 0
There are two notifications lights on the front of the EVO 4G in the speaker at the top. The one on the left is for the charger, which is green and amber, then there is one on the right that flashes when you get a text or some other notifcation like an email. I believe this is green and amber as well, but I cannot remember what it was originally like since I have flashed...right now it is a darker green than the one the charger has on the left.

Ah, okay, thanks for the info. So on the Shift, the green/amber charging light (on the right side of the front top speaker grill) appears to be the same spot that blinks (green?) for notifications.

Upvote 0
Hmm, you may be right. One of the notification lights on the Evo changes from amber to green based on charge, as you say. And then there's the other LED on the Evo that is a darker green on the right side that was not used by the factory ROM. Later, devs found it and started to use it for various notification purposes. Yeah, might need to backtrack on this one. :(

Well, I wouldn't give up hope entirely. I noticed two separate LED references *other* than those green and amber ones. All those references appeared to be related to the camera, and so I suspected them to refer to the same LED (i.e. the flashbulb), but since they do have different names I'm hesitant to completely rule out the possibility that one's the flash LED and the other's actually a second notifier. :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got a big warning from my browser when I tried to visit that link. Just so everyone knows, it's safe.

<Insert random conspiracy theory about warning from browser>

But seriously, the schematics will probably be hidden in a short order, once HTC/Sprint notice that they're available for public viewing. It may be prudent to download a copy before that issue is corrected, if you should so care about the schematics.

Upvote 0
<Insert random conspiracy theory about warning from browser>

But seriously, the schematics will probably be hidden in a short order, once HTC/Sprint notice that they're available for public viewing. It may be prudent to download a copy before that issue is corrected, if you should so care about the schematics.

Agreed, they aren't supposed to be up there according to another posted document.

Upvote 0
On page 6 of the schematic it shows 768MB LPDDR2-SDRAM and 4GB eMMC (ROM)...could one of the other system chips on board contain the small difference and consider the space as RAM?

--edit--
On the right diagram on page 6 just underneath the circuit board there is a really small *TBD but no reference point on the board itself. Maybe that was their little clause?

Upvote 0
If I missed this being posted, please edit this post out as needed :)

I did not see this noted, but thought it would be worth considering. In page 42 of the schematic of the EVO 3D shows the Broadcom BCM4329. This has the ability to receive and transmit FM signals. I am not sure the phone will have this turned on, but if so, I think it would transmit directly to any FM radio. First link to schematic, second to Broadcom product page.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1475266

Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

Upvote 0

I did not see this noted, but thought it would be worth considering. In page 42 of the schematic of the EVO 3D shows the Broadcom BCM4329. This has the ability to receive and transmit FM signals. I am not sure the phone will have this turned on, but if so, I think it would transmit directly to any FM radio. First link to schematic, second to Broadcom product page.

Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

No one brought that one up yet, might be a good catch. Although, according to iFixit's tear down, the Evo 4G also has the Broadcom 4329 installed. So its more or less the same hardware unless there was a revision that didn't constitute a number change. Question will be how its connected to the board and how/if the new software utilizes the full function of the chip.

Upvote 0
My apologies. Please disregard adding the transmit portion of the BCM 4329.

A closer look at the schematic does show the possibility of transmit. However, each line dedicated for transmit, designated by FM_TX with miscellaneous functions, go literally nowhere. Unless this schematic doesn't reveal everything, I do not see the E3D transmitting radio signals via FM.

Upvote 0

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1475266

FM does not mean car radio stuff, its the type of modulation its using to transmit the sound of your voice (or other sounds and data) over the bluetooth signal (or other radio waves). Its a common mistake people make when they see "fm" on something, has nothing to do with being able to broadcast to your car stereo. Frequency modulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
FM does not mean car radio stuff, its the type of modulation its using to transmit the sound of your voice (or other sounds and data) over the bluetooth signal (or other radio waves). Its a common mistake people make when they see "fm" on something, has nothing to do with being able to broadcast to your car stereo. Frequency modulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the case of the schematic, however, the FM_RX lines point to commonly used radio functions. FM_ADJACK, for example, connects directly with FM_RXP. The labeling of this line as WFM_ANT_1 in red points to the common method of connecting an antenna through the headset port/jack to receive FM signals to the phone.

This would indicate to me that, like the original Nexus and the EVO 4G, the radio has FM receive/transmit capability, but is not connected to transmit.

Reactions: novox77 and jerofld
Upvote 0
In the case of the schematic, however, the FM_RX lines point to commonly used radio functions. FM_ADJACK, for example, connects directly with FM_RXP. The labeling of this line as WFM_ANT_1 in red points to the common method of connecting an antenna through the headset port/jack to receive FM signals to the phone.

This would indicate to me that, like the original Nexus and the EVO 4G, the radio has FM receive/transmit capability, but is not connected to transmit.

I agree with this. I remember seeing some news story, maybe last year, that said the government (FCC specifically) is requiring all cellphones to be able to receive FM transmissions. Probably AM, too. The reason is...so everyone could get emergency broadcasts (weather, terror, etc) through their cellphone, even if cell networks are down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones