• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Evo Complaints

They are are not things I can't figure out, they are things that can't be done. I have spent a lot of time in other forums and even offered others help. Things like setting primary contact numbers for people. I only mentioned Blackberry a few times mostly when someone acted like a feature I wanted was insane. I didn't title my post as Anroid VS Blackberry. It was about things I don't like about the Evo. Being told to root my phone and void the warranty is not really any help.

Ok, well I guess the question you have to ask yourself is are those few things a dealbreaker? Because if the phone won't do it, it just plain won't do it and there are certain things that just aren't made possible by adjusting your settings and downloading apps, that's why there is the 30 day return policy, like I said before, no phone is perfect and this phone isn't for everyone.

Upvote 0
Most everything you listed has a solution to it. Even customizing the lock screen and removing sprint bloatware. You just need to do the research to find the answer. As for customizing the lock screen and removing the bloatware, that requires root access--don't take that step lightly and think that anybody can root, it's not for everybody.

Re-read that post. Nobody is forcing you to root, just giving you a solution to your problems. In fact, I said to be careful because it's not for everybody. We gave you the answer, you don't like it, quit yer bitchin! Hell, if you don't want to root, photoshop an image with your name on it and set it as the lockscreen wallpaper! Jeebus!

Reactions: rzenger
Upvote 0
There is a difference between criticism and flat out bitching about something before taking it upon yourself to look for the information before throwing a fit about the phone not being exactly what they want. No phone is perfect and no two companies make phones the exact same way. I for one think everyone's expectations of this phone were far greater than what they should have been, in reality it's still just a phone, and it's impossible to please everyone.
True, but if you read the forum, there's NO complaint that goes by without the same lame ass comments, which is just sad. Literally every thread I read is the same format -

Any complaint about evo -> gtfo, dont let the door hit you on your way out, go back to iphone.

Like you said, the phone isn't perfect, so there are bound to be some complaints about the flaws. And this really seems to be an Evo phenomenon.. I owned the Hero and was on the forums all the time, I never saw complaints of "theres dust under the screen" with "go back to iphone, apple fanboy"

Upvote 0
I know I can return the phone. Most of my items are not deal breakers, just things I think you should be able to do. My post was not "Don't buy this phone". It was just complaints I had about it. Really the most important is calling over my headset. I use that a lot for business. I didn't post just to complain, but was hoping to get some ideas besides root my phone. Maybe even an app suggestion. I have either looked for apps to fix the things or tried various apps that didn't work.

Upvote 0
True, but if you read the forum, there's NO complaint that goes by without the same lame ass comments, which is just sad. Literally every thread I read is the same format -

Any complaint about evo -> gtfo, dont let the door hit you on your way out, go back to iphone.

Like you said, the phone isn't perfect, so there are bound to be some complaints about the flaws. And this really seems to be an Evo phenomenon.. I owned the Hero and was on the forums all the time, I never saw complaints of "theres dust under the screen" with "go back to iphone, apple fanboy"

Fair enough, I agree that some people take their love of their new toy a little far but you can probably also agree that a number of the OP's questions could have been answered by a little research, that's my point. And in the same token every phone is different and they all won't be the same as the one you owned before it so if you are so dead set on the few options that a phone you had before did things that you liked that this one doesn't than maybe a person is better off sticking with that particular phone. Maybe?

Upvote 0
I know I can return the phone. Most of my items are not deal breakers, just things I think you should be able to do. My post was not "Don't buy this phone". It was just complaints I had about it. Really the most important is calling over my headset. I use that a lot for business. I didn't post just to complain, but was hoping to get some ideas besides root my phone. Maybe even an app suggestion. I have either looked for apps to fix the things or tried various apps that didn't work.

I think if I had said the camera didn't take good enough pictures or the browser was too slow, that would just be complaining. But to ask how come I can't take Sprints name off the main screen or why when I plug it into my PC theres no option to backup, are real concerns.

I understand your concerns but the point you are missing is that if those are the most important functions of a phone for you then you should do your homework and find a phone that meets those needs. If I absolutely needed certain things from a device (no matter what kind of device) if it didn't have the functionality I was looking for I wouldn't buy it and would know that before I made my purchase or if I found out after I bought it, I would simply return it for something that better suits me.

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
Fair enough, I agree that some people take their love of their new toy a little far but you can probably also agree that a number of the OP's questions could have been answered by a little research, that's my point. And in the same token every phone is different and they all won't be the same as the one you owned before it so if you are so dead set on the few options that a phone you had before did things that you liked that this one doesn't than maybe a person is better off sticking with that particular phone. Maybe?
Several times, people have said the problems have been answered. The only one that was really answered was about backup, which I appreciate. I saw the backup app on the market but didn't understand why the HTC Sync didn't have an option to backup the phone. Again, root is not an answer, neither is take the phone back, stop bitching, or get used to it.

Upvote 0
I understand your concerns but the point you are missing is that if those are the most important functions of a phone for you then you should do your homework and find a phone that meets those needs. If I absolutely needed certain things from a device (no matter what kind of device) if it didn't have the functionality I was looking for I wouldn't buy it and would know that before I made my purchase or if I found out after I bought it, I would simply return it for something that better suits me.
And I might return it, I just thought before I did, I would see if there were any solutions to my problems. Since I have not been given any real help, I guess that means no. For an open source device, it sure seems like some things are hard are impossible to do on this phone. Kind of hard to play with the device before I bought it, when no place had one on display that worked.

Upvote 0
Several times, people have said the problems have been answered. The only one that was really answered was about backup, which I appreciate. I saw the backup app on the market but didn't understand why the HTC Sync didn't have an option to backup the phone. Again, root is not an answer, neither is take the phone back, stop bitching, or get used to it.

I guess maybe you're blind... or at the very least reading selectively.

Someone answered your question on how to have the light on when you use the video camera. I told you how to add Yoda (and other words) to your dictionary so they aren't autocorrected next time. I also told you that there are apps in the market that allow you to customize your lock screen.

Reactions: rzenger
Upvote 0
I guess maybe you're blind... or at the very least reading selectively.

Someone answered your question on how to have the light on when you use the video camera. I told you how to add Yoda (and other words) to your dictionary so they aren't autocorrected next time. I also told you that there are apps in the market that allow you to customize your lock screen.

I download the light and told the person thanks. I knew how to add things to the predictive text, but that doesn't address the no spell check. The Yoda was just an example. If you mis type a word it sometimes guesses wrong. So you either have to stop and check what it is writing or keep looking at the suggestion bar, either is slower than just typing and then having a device highlight or underline words it doesn't recognize, which is easier and faster. I tried 2 different apps for the screen lock before posting. Owner and Contact Owner and neither worked.

Upvote 0
Try "Screen Suite Lock Screen".

I know you thanked the person, but saying that "the only one that was really answered was about backup" isn't true, because more than one of your questions was answered. You just admitted so yourself. You're making it sound like all everyone is doing is bashing you when there are a few people who have genuinely tried to help.

Maybe try a different keyboard, like Swype. It learns words you use and I rarely make mistakes with it. Although I didn't have the problem you do with the regular keyboard in the first place... I type very fast but I still pay attention and correct my mistakes as I go.

Upvote 0
Try "Screen Suite Lock Screen".

I know you thanked the person, but saying that "the only one that was really answered was about backup" isn't true, because more than one of your questions was answered. You just admitted so yourself. You're making it sound like all everyone is doing is bashing you when there are a few people who have genuinely tried to help.

Maybe try a different keyboard, like Swype. It learns words you use and I rarely make mistakes with it. Although I didn't have the problem you do with the regular keyboard in the first place... I type very fast but I still pay attention and correct my mistakes as I go.

It was my mistake, I have been given a couple of very good suggestions by nice people. But to say everything has been answered stop bitching is also a mistake. The keyboard it not the problem, I like it, the problem is that my spelling ability has been put in hibernation by spell check over the years. I do find it much easier, but this is one of the things that falls under personal preference. I will try "Screen Suite Lock Screen", thank you.

Upvote 0
I guess maybe I would be considered more of a business user than a personal user. That is where my complaints come from. I have been a Blackberry user for many years, and they do business great. However, they lack in anything other. So, I thought I would give Android a try. I have seen complaints about the music player and keyboard, but I like both. I just need to be able to use my phone for business and play. So being able to save an email, spell check so my customers don't think I'm stupid, have contact information on the screen for security, backups, or voice dial are things I use daily. It is not just me, if these things weren't important to people, there wouldn't be so many Blackberrys. Because again, Blackberrys suck at play.

Upvote 0
It was my mistake, I have been given a couple of very good suggestions by nice people. But to say everything has been answered stop bitching is also a mistake. The keyboard it not the problem, I like it, the problem is that my spelling ability has been put in hibernation by spell check over the years. I do find it much easier, but this is one of the things that falls under personal preference. I will try "Screen Suite Lock Screen", thank you.

I don't think you were ever told "everything was answered stop bitching", I do believe that you did receive multiple answers to some of your questions, I know for a fact I answered you about the text prediction, but because some of the things you want this phone to do just aren't possible it got a little rougher in here and I believe one of your responses was " Blackberry can do it why can't Android" and the simple fact is, that this phone isn't a Blackberry, it's not designed for the same functions as a blackberry, this is more of an entertainment device and less of a business one so if a business device is what you want then a business device is what you should purchase.

Upvote 0
I don't think you were ever told "everything was answered stop bitching", I do believe that you did receive multiple answers to some of your questions, I know for a fact I answered you about the text prediction, but because some of the things you want this phone to do just aren't possible it got a little rougher in here and I believe one of your responses was " Blackberry can do it why can't Android" and the simple fact is, that this phone isn't a Blackberry, it's not designed for the same functions as a blackberry, this is more of an entertainment device and less of a business one so if a business device is what you want then a business device is what you should purchase.
The things that aren't possible aren't hard things. I don't want the phone to transform into a robot. I have tried to not bring up other phones, because I didn't want the forum to be this phone vs that phone. But it is hard not to. When you have a 4 year old phone that can do something simple, you would think that a new, faster, better phone would also be able to do it. And for Android the Iphone and Blackberrys are it's competition, so it does need to be able to do most of what those phone can do. Again, I have not said anything like the Iphone has a better keyboard, but when speaking about spell check I was told this is a mobile phone. So I said the Blackberry can do it, because it was like I was asking for it to float on water.

Upvote 0
The things that aren't possible aren't hard things. I don't want the phone to transform into a robot. I have tried to not bring up other phones, because I didn't want the forum to be this phone vs that phone. But it is hard not to. When you have a 4 year old phone that can do something simple, you would think that a new, faster, better phone would also be able to do it. And for Android the Iphone and Blackberrys are it's competition, so it does need to be able to do most of what those phone can do. Again, I have not said anything like the Iphone has a better keyboard, but when speaking about spell check I was told this is a mobile phone. So I said the Blackberry can do it, because it was like I was asking for it to float on water.

Here's the problem, you think just because these are things "that are not hard to do" because your "4 year old phone can do something simple" means that every phone should do them. Blackberries are around for a reason, so that the people that want those functions can have them, that is the market the Blackberry caters to, this phone isn't designed with that in mind. Also, just because a 4 year old phone can do it doesn't mean "it's easy to do" nor does it make it necessary. You have no idea (nor do I) what it takes to design, research, and put into effect all of the technology it takes to make all the functions of these devices work, and not only work but work right and work in unison with all of the other functions that device is designed to do. So I suggest you ask yourself what functions are the most important to you and buy a device that caters to your tastes, HTC did not set out to make another blackberry with this device, it is a COMPLETELY different type of phone so I'm not telling you to like it or gtfo, I'm saying that this probably isn't the type of phone you were looking for and maybe another phone would suit your needs better.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm leaving this forum and won't be back. I expected more from Google. If a phone can't save an email message or simply move a picture and that doesn't seem kind of crazy to you, then you are a Fan Boy.

I guess I will have to see if the New Blackberrys are any better at fun, since Google can't do hard things like remove Sprint from the screen.

Upvote 0
The new blackberries aren't any better than the old ones. I have had several of them myself.

RIM is far, far, far behind apple and google when it comes to OS development.

Good luck. I hope you can find something that makes you happy. Many people have two phones... one for business, and one for fun, just for this very reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones