• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO Handbrake Settings with Video

I dont understand why you guys aren't using DVD FAB.
popped it in set it to ipod convert and in about an hour on a slow machine (2003 p4) It took out copy protection and converted.

I gotta tweak the aspect ratio cause it came out bad when my ps3 tried to upscale it. so im going to rip to a different format soon and try again.

I want it to look best on laptop/tv but be playable on my evo if i get REALLY bored. Going to try setting 800 res

Reactions: 355spider
Upvote 0
I have been using Handbrake to convert my 1080P .mkv files but for .avi or smaller .mkv files, I just use Rock Player since it plays both of those formats. This way I only have to change the video resolution to 800px. Thanks, Twistax for doing what I didn't get a chance to do which was show the resulting video... in a video :)

Upvote 0
OK very easy if your using Handbrake for the EVO:

I use Make MKV to rip the blu-ray.

1. Load your Movie File
2. Pick Iphone preset under Apple
3. Under the "Picture" tab, change the height to 720 (make sure "keep aspect Ratio" is checked.
4. Click "Video" Tab, click "Target Size" and type 2000 in the field(for 2GB file)
5. Check "2-Pass Encoding" and "Turbo First Pass"
6. Click "Start"

(for very wide aspect ratios, like the fast and the furious, you will want to change the width to 1280 *instead of changing the height* for step 3 in the above directions.

It seems that the evo doesnt like any width settings above 1280)

Perfect Everytime Very High Deff on the Evo

Upvote 0
RedsGT
Used your settings and it worked great. Thanks a lot! I was struggling to get video in 720P to play on the EVO. With your settings output to 720P over HDMI is spectacular looking, perfect for taking on trips. Now if we just didn't have the 2 gig cap on file size. I am having to break up movies into 2 to 3 parts when encoding on 720P.

Note: For those with DVDfab I ripped bluray to a MKV file and than used handbrake to convert to a MP4 with settings same as above except for bitrate of 5500.

DVDfab when ripping bluray directly does not seem to use right MP4 version and will not play on the EVO. However, it will rip a plain DVD when using the ipod settings. It looks great on the EVO but not so good through HDMI.

Upvote 0
RedsGT
Used your settings and it worked great. Thanks a lot! I was struggling to get video in 720P to play on the EVO. With your settings output to 720P over HDMI is spectacular looking, perfect for taking on trips. Now if we just didn't have the 2 gig cap on file size. I am having to break up movies into 2 to 3 parts when encoding on 720P.

Note: For those with DVDfab I ripped bluray to a MKV file and than used handbrake to convert to a MP4 with settings same as above except for bitrate of 5500.

DVDfab when ripping bluray directly does not seem to use right MP4 version and will not play on the EVO. However, it will rip a plain DVD when using the ipod settings. It looks great on the EVO but not so good through HDMI.

Nice!! i was wondering if it looked good over hdmi with those settings. I think i will have to pick one up. Do they sell them in local stores yet, or just online?

Upvote 0
I can't use HandBrake on my computer. I have no idea why. I spent all weekend trying to figure out why all the movies quailty was terrible. The movie acts like it's buffering. Stop start stop start... Finally I used Magic DVD Ripper because there was a free trial. This program works perfectly but I don't want to pay 40 dollars after the trial! Any idea what may be going wrong with HandBrake and how to fix it??? I tried every single suggestion on here... Or a different but FREE Ripper that would work well.

Upvote 0
I can't use HandBrake on my computer. I have no idea why. I spent all weekend trying to figure out why all the movies quailty was terrible. The movie acts like it's buffering. Stop start stop start... Finally I used Magic DVD Ripper because there was a free trial. This program works perfectly but I don't want to pay 40 dollars after the trial! Any idea what may be going wrong with HandBrake and how to fix it??? I tried every single suggestion on here... Or a different but FREE Ripper that would work well.

Whats the source? What resolution and bitrate are you using?

Upvote 0
Whats the source? What resolution and bitrate are you using?

the source is a Dvd. I tried three different ones. Not sure of resolution... I tried 1500 for bitrate. I also tried the ffmpeg at 61% because someone on here suggested it but still didn't work. I tried on two different computers. It's not just the video either. The sound also starts and stops. Where do I find the resultion option?

Upvote 0
I've come to the conclusion this program sucks. I have an old copy of ipod to dvd converter that is far easier and much more successful at ripping protected dvds. I've been buying old rentals to add Disney movies to our phones for the kids and handbrake has not been able to copy a single one. My old ripper does it all in 3 clicks. I think i'll just get the new version of it as they have no option to upgrade the old one.

Upvote 0
I've searched through the thread but can't find it. Do I have to rip the movie (or TV series) on my computer and then use Handbrake?

If so, what are the settings that are on the video by the original poster because the video has been taken off youtube and can't be viewed.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you should rip the dvd to the PC first, then use handbrake.

If you read the rest of the thread, you will find the settings.

I've come to the conclusion this program sucks. I have an old copy of ipod to dvd converter that is far easier and much more successful at ripping protected dvds. I've been buying old rentals to add Disney movies to our phones for the kids and handbrake has not been able to copy a single one. My old ripper does it all in 3 clicks. I think i'll just get the new version of it as they have no option to upgrade the old one.

Handbrake works fine for me, you just need to learn how to use it. You need to rip the dvd first, that could be your problem.

Upvote 0
From my experience, I already had HD MP4 videos on my computer and used XMedia Recode (thanks to whatsitsname for the tip) to re-sample them onto the handset. I recently converted Avatar, which was originally 2.5 gb and came out to be 2.03 gb on the phone. Albeit the audio could be a little higher, the picture is beautiful and plays very well. YES the phone WILL play files larger than 2gb, at least on my phone (using the pre-installed 8 gb card).

Upvote 0
Wow I just DVD fab to rip 2 videos. Took half an hour to go from disc to phone in perfect resolution. Thanks to those who suggested. Dump handbrake. This is so much easier. two clicks and you're done.

Those of you using DVDFab, what settings are you using? I put it on iPod/iPhone and set the Profile as ipod.h264. It worked but I was wondering if any other settings make the quality better. Thanks

Upvote 0
OK - I have tried all the posts that give settings to use in Handbrake (HB). I can't seem to rip my DVDs at all. I have a macintosh with handbrake and it rips files beautifully at default settings.
PROBLEM: Trying to use HB on my PC... not good. Every DVD I try fails. They work on the mac but not the PC (windows 7) The PC version of HB will open the DVD and I have tried using the same settings as the default ones on the mac and also a variety of my own and ya'lls as well.
The output I get everytime is a mix of green and mutlicolored pixelated squares constantly changing. Sometimes you can see a little of the image/movie but most of the time it is 45%green squares, 45% multicolored squares and some black mixed in.

ANYONE have this problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones