• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Evo V or keep the LG Optimus V (Need help with the wife)

jeffj318

Dec 23, 2011
Okay, boys (and girls) :D

I have the LG Optimus V and bought one for my wife some months back when Best Buy had them on sale half price off. We have never activated them for phone use and I use mine for internet, music, email, etc. My wife has used hers infrequently. We both have stayed with the dumb phones for now. My wife likes the screen using her long nails as a stylus as the screens are the old ones not using the pressure pad.

Anyway, I almost had mine on and decided to wait. For what, I do not know. Just waited. Now, I see the HTC Evo V 3d 4g is on Virgin Mobile. I said wow! Now it is time to sell the phones we have and get this superb phone with the much larger screen. My wife says "Forgetaboutit" too much money. I say ditch the home phone and go all cell with better phones and she would love playing Words with Friends on the new, larger and badder screen. (Not sure she is falling for this yet.)

Give me some hints to use so I can get the HTC and she will be happy, too, and get rid of the non-used LG Optimus phones. ;)

Thanks to all and to all a goodnight!

Jeff

Okay, boys (and girls) :D

I have the LG Optimus V and bought one for my wife some months back when Best Buy had them on sale half price off. We have never activated them for phone use and I use mine for internet, music, email, etc. My wife has used hers infrequently. We both have stayed with the dumb phones for now. My wife likes the screen using her long nails as a stylus as the screens are the old ones not using the pressure pad.

Anyway, I almost had mine on and decided to wait. For what, I do not know. Just waited. Now, I see the HTC Evo V 3d 4g is on Virgin Mobile. I said wow! Now it is time to sell the phones we have and get this superb phone with the much larger screen. My wife says "Forgetaboutit" too much money. I say ditch the home phone and go all cell with better phones and she would love playing Words with Friends on the new, larger and badder screen. (Not sure she is falling for this yet.)

Give me some hints to use so I can get the HTC and she will be happy, too, and get rid of the non-used LG Optimus phones. ;)

Thanks to all and to all a goodnight!

Jeff

Sad it's always about money but it is.. I kept my OV and started the Evo V out on a new contract.. So for $60 a month I have 2 handsets 600 minutes talk time 5gigs of data 3G and unlimited 4G and a powerful android handset that has so many tools available for it it's a no brainer to me.. Yeah find a contract phone that can do that for $60..

To your question I use the OV as a remote and security to the evo and #1 handset and the Evo is my tool set with glasses off as I can read it with out my readers on and don't want to take calls on it or I have to stop what I was doing....

That said it works well as a Phone and the antenna is on par with the OV for calls and drop where the OV drops them.... Coverage is what it is with this outfit and having a OV you know where your bounders are and they will stay the same..

I used the what about my poor eye's approach and it worked for me!! GL

Upvote 0
The OV was my first foray into the smart phone. I rooted, flashed a custom rom, and thought I was getting over on my buddies at work with the fancy phones and the big screens. WOW! Was I wrong. The HTC EVO 3D is bad ass. Now I'm really getting over on those guys. The $35.00 plan, basically unlimited everything, and people are still locking into contracts. Spend the money for you OR your wife to get the EVO. Trust me, 1-2 weeks (if that) and you will both have the EVO, funds permitting. Just celebrated 24 years of marriage with a woman "who squeaks when she walks, she is so cheap" and she wants an EVO now. Let me know if you need any more ammo.

Reactions: jeffj318
Upvote 0
:D

Find out all new features of EVO V and try to tell her how she can do her daily tasks she does on her phone better because of the new features.

4G - If you live near on in Metro area or at least spend 10-12 hours per day in or near Metro area where 4G is. It is better for fast browsing, downloads, videos, music, etc.

Dual core processor - Fast app performance and no lags

Big screen - Great for games, apps, e-mails, texting, calendar, etc.

More memory - great for apps and performance

Front facing camera - better for video calls and self protrait

Better 5 MP rear camera - Great for snapping and posting pictures

Adobe Flash - Now browser can play flash enabled videos

FM Radio - Now one does not need to rely on 3G / 4G or wi-fi for FM Radio

and so on...

However, women are more practical when it comes to money and budget. We are asking USD 300 per phone upfront and 10 USD more (if you are on 25 USD plan now). One need to justify 4G, speed, performance against cost.

:D

Upvote 0
Ditch land line and use Obi202/101 (cost of $40-$75) with google voice to get free unlimited domestic US/CA calls. Allocate the saving to a new cell phone. if your land line bill is $35 month (the actual amount that include tax and fee), you'd save $345 a year if you spend $75 on Obi202.

The downside, is obi202 with gv does not provide 911 service. You'll need to use your cell phone for 911 calls. In addition You have to spend up front and recuperate your cost after 1 year.

I did this in March 2011. I purchased an OV and am still on the grandfathered $25 plan. I've saved quite a bit. Just switching from my old cell plan to the $25 plan reduced my monthly cell payment by about $22. My old cell plan was voice only too. We didn't have a land line. So I spent a bit on the Obi voip adapter and a new land line phone. Overall, I am ahead by about $57 after 14 months (I have an excel to track the comparison). Wife was extremely happy with the voip setup, as she can call China at super discount and with super voice quality.

Upvote 0
Ditch land line and use Obi202/101 (cost of $40-$75) with google voice to get free unlimited domestic US/CA calls. Allocate the saving to a new cell phone. if your land line bill is $35 month (the actual amount that include tax and fee), you'd save $345 a year if you spend $75 on Obi202.

The downside, is obi202 with gv does not provide 911 service. You'll need to use your cell phone for 911 calls. In addition You have to spend up front and recuperate your cost after 1 year.

I did this in March 2011. I purchased an OV and am still on the grandfathered $25 plan. I've saved quite a bit. Just switching from my old cell plan to the $25 plan reduced my monthly cell payment by about $22. My old cell plan was voice only too. We didn't have a land line. So I spent a bit on the Obi voip adapter and a new land line phone. Overall, I am ahead by about $57 after 14 months (I have an excel to track the comparison). Wife was extremely happy with the voip setup, as she can call China at super discount and with super voice quality.

hchen, sent you a PM about the OBi202

I'm waiting for Walmart/Kmart/Target to get the Evo V so that I can pick it up... Justified the cost of the phone $300 plus the $35/mo. instead of adding a 2nd cell to my VZ plan which would raise the bill $25-30/mo. So the Evo pays for itself in 1 year. Which is probably the amount of time it will take for them to go on sale for $200 or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones