• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Gingerbread update.

I'm pretty sure that the stock ROM I used yesterday was an older version.

Do you mean when you did this?

And to make matters worse, I was getting frustrated with waiting for the update to arrive so decided to root my phone and install the leaked version yesterday then realised that the OTA version was rolling out so didn't even bother playing around with the leaked version and decided to flash back to the stock ROM.

How did you install the leak? Using clockwork to flash a .zip file (custom ROM style) or by actually using the leaked RUU?

Upvote 0
I'm on Vodafone UK, unbranded bought from carphone warehouse, but still no update for me. Not through OTA anyway..........Still waiting.

The only thing I'm hoping it fixes is my poor speaker volume. If it doesn't address this then I don't see the need to update. Not having any problems/issues elsewhere. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.

Regards

Upvote 0
maaaaaaaan! reading all this! it's clear that HTC are taking the pi**. its a joke! carrier getting it before unbranded headsets! tbh that is a issue with android OS/updates compared to dare i say it... iphone OS/updates. apple do it all one time regardless of the carrier and that (big sigh) HURRY UP PEEPS! we want or gingerbread! :(

*mini rant over*

LOOL.

Upvote 0
Using the unlocked and vodafone UK branded DHD here in India...
installed gingerbread about 12 hours earlier... Didn't back up or anything and it worked great...
the phone now feels smoother to use....
the battery life seems to have increased.. with mediocre usage and a full charge about 10 hours ago the battery is still charged at 80%...
faced issue with picasa force closing... re-installation and resyncing worked fine though...

Upvote 0
maaaaaaaan! reading all this! it's clear that HTC are taking the pi**. its a joke! carrier getting it before unbranded headsets! tbh that is a issue with android OS/updates compared to dare i say it... iphone OS/updates. apple do it all one time regardless of the carrier and that (big sigh) HURRY UP PEEPS! we want or gingerbread! :(

*mini rant over*

LOOL.

No SH** there taking the PI** ive got 2 dhd one on the three network unlocked and unbranded (it was a first batch) and 1 from the cfwh unlocked and unbranded which i paid

Upvote 0
Hey dudes

Some questions for UK owners:

1. Are Voda subscribers still getting the update? (ie: anyone got it today?)
2. Has anyone not on Voda had the update today? (since it seems to have been pulled right after release)

I'm on Three but with an unbranded handset (I think - build 1.72.405.3). As yet, not a sausage when I check for updates.

Thanks!

Uri

Upvote 0
To be honest I'm glad that this time I'm still waiting for the update (unbranded, unlocked on Vodafone) as others can trial it before me and, hopefully, find any bugs ..... :cool: I upgraded to the 172 release around Xmas before it was pulled. Now luckily I haven't seen any of the supposed bugs with that release but having to wait a bit isn't a big deal to me.

As someone who's worked for IT companies for many years I can appreciate the difficulties that HTC face with an upgrade such as this so I'll not slag them off as yet .....

Dave

This is probably the most sensible, well thought out post in the entire thread.

And agreed, having worked for an extremely large IT company for the last 8 years, I can appreciate a release of this size is a massive undertaking and taking their time about it is probably the best way to go.

Reactions: dvhttn
Upvote 0
I agree with the above.

It's interesting that most Android users (me included!) have now got "upgrade fever", and not just for the base OS but apps as well.

I've seen apps rated poorly in the store just because of a lack of updates. We're not talking about bug fixes, just random new or different stuff.

Gone are the good old days of software and sysadmins, where the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" reigned supreme.

Having said all that, I'm gnawing my arm off waiting for gingerbread, and I'd flash the ROM on my washing machine and lawnmower if I could!

Uri

Upvote 0
Why? For wanting to do things right this time rather than botch things up like they did with 1.72.405.6? ;)

Seriously, why are you so desperate to update???

I don't think it will be any different from the Updates the rest of Europe are getting, I think this testing bullsh!t is a cover up something else and its a different reason as to why they are holding out.

The reason I'm so "desperate" is because I feel HTC have be in the wrong since December when 2.2.1 came out, they should of done something about the bugs a lot sooner even if it meant down-grading the phones back to 2.2. Or at least explained to their customers the problems and give them some options or advice on how they could go back 2.2. Why should it be left to us to try and rectify the problem such as having to find and use an alternative SMS app etc.

I think we all deserve better explanations from HTC for their doings, after all some of us have payed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones