• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Gingerbread update.

Just received an email from HTC.

"The updates are send out on a rolling server, this means the update is sent to certain IMEI numbers ( This is the identification number for the handset. Once the server reaches you in the list, you will receive the update as a punch message as soon as the update is ready for you handset."

All we have to do is just chill i guess people lol

Peace
MastaKillahDMG

Upvote 0
Just received an email from HTC.

"The updates are send out on a rolling server, this means the update is sent to certain IMEI numbers ( This is the identification number for the handset. Once the server reaches you in the list, you will receive the update as a punch message as soon as the update is ready for you handset."

All we have to do is just chill i guess people lol

Peace
MastaKillahDMG

I see the logic in that but they must be working there way down the list in reverse. As I got my HD on the day of release but still haven't received update.

I'm in no particular rush to get the update. Just confused as in the order they are releasing it. Ie. Vodafone branded first etc etc etc................(dont want to repeat everything that has already been said). 'Good things come to those who wait'.....:):):)

Upvote 0
That sound so cool......If I knew what the HELL you were on about. LOL:p

haha, I got bored of waiting for the gingerbread ota so I installed a custom rom based on it. I cant really explain what a kernal is because I don't really know what it is, but basically it is coded better than the official HTC one so it makes the phone run better, it also lets you overclock the cpu, The cpu on an official stock htc rom is, as we all know 1GHz, I now have it set at 1.4GHz so the phone runs even faster.

Upvote 0
haha, I got bored of waiting for the gingerbread ota so I installed a custom rom based on it. I cant really explain what a kernal is because I don't really know what it is, but basically it is coded better than the official HTC one so it makes the phone run better, it also lets you overclock the cpu, The cpu on an official stock htc rom is, as we all know 1GHz, I now have it set at 1.4GHz so the phone runs even faster.

Now that does sound cool. But not one for sounding like a kill-joy, won't overlooking to nearly 50% the original clock speed produce more heat and shorten battery life. Just that one of the things people want more is longer battery life between charges. Or are you not to bothered about battery life. Or will o/c it not effect battery life. What about the life of the cpu? Again are you not concerned.

Or maybe it doesn't work like overlooking a pc's CPU.....

Upvote 0
Now that does sound cool. But not one for sounding like a kill-joy, won't overlooking to nearly 50% the original clock speed produce more heat and shorten battery life. Just that one of the things people want more is longer battery life between charges. Or are you not to bothered about battery life. Or will o/c it not effect battery life. What about the life of the cpu? Again are you not concerned.

Or maybe it doesn't work like overlooking a pc's CPU.....

It is just like overclocking a pc, The voltage to the cpu at 1.4GHz as I have it now is the same as it would be on a stock htc rom/kernal at 1GHz, So the battery will work out about the same with no added heat, If I put the cpu to 1GHz then the voltage to it would be lower than it would be on stock so actually saving battery power and producing less heat. That's where the custom kernal is doing part of it's job, The HTC kernal is badly coded giving more voltage than is actually needed, but still within safe limits.

Upvote 0
I cant really explain what a kernal is because I don't really know what it is, .

The kernel is the most basic form of the operating system which acts as an interface between the hardware and the software which operates the phone.

That aside, any one got the OTA update yet?

Reactions: cracksquirrel
Upvote 0
It is just like overclocking a pc, The voltage to the cpu at 1.4GHz as I have it now is the same as it would be on a stock htc rom/kernal at 1GHz, So the battery will work out about the same with no added heat, If I put the cpu to 1GHz then the voltage to it would be lower than it would be on stock so actually saving battery power and producing less heat. That's where the custom kernal is doing part of it's job, The HTC kernal is badly coded giving more voltage than is actually needed, but still within safe limits.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense now.

P.S. Unbranded, cpwh, Vodafone UK, no update yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Is the update supposed to be pushed by the network? I currently use WaridTel and they are saying they have no collaboration with HTC so will I receive the update even then?? I have a wireless connection can I get my phone updated via the internet through the settings>About phone>System software updates?

Are you branded? Is there a WaridTel logo on the back of the handset? Do you get a WaridTel logo when you log on?

99.9% of the time, if the answer to the above is no, you'll be unbranded and your phone is configured to look at HTC's servers for the update.

Upvote 0
Is that a "good" or "bad" thing?! Are the branded ones likely to be updated first, or is it basically just chance when phones get their updates?

It's a bit controversial at the moment, unbranded phones should technically get the update first. Normal procedure would be Google gives the base version of Android to HTC; HTC would then tweak Android and add their Sense overlay to it. Once they're happy with it, they'll test whilst at the same time releasing to the network operators to add their bloatware and own tweaks etc. Whilst the network operators are adding their own stuff and making sure it works, HTC release it to the unbranded handsets. Branded will follow some time later.

The reason I say it's controversial at the moment is in the UK, Branded Vodafone handsets are being upgraded at the moment, before the unbranded handsets.

In December, HTC released an OTA update which contained more bugs than it should have, causing massive problems with SMS and SD Cards for some users. It was pulled a few hours after it was released. This worked out for branded users, as the networks had the opportunity to remove these bugs before it was released to their users.

In response to the OP's question, an easier way to check whether or not your handset is branded is look at the build number, unbranded handsets will have 405 somewhere in there. Mine is 1.72.405.6. Totally forgot about that!

Reactions: mastiman
Upvote 0
Yup its unbranded and checked the build number! it has a 405 in it! thanks alot buddy! btw way do u have any idea when HTC will be updating the mobile sets in asia? or will they update all the unbranded ones in one go? plz do inform me when your cell gets updated! :) thanks alot once again! u have relieved my tension! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones