• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Gingerbread update.

Has anyone in the UK not on Vodaphone got this update yet? Ive got an unbranded DHD on o2 (through carphone warehouse) Ive been checking for an update every day - tried the changing date thing to no avail. Im happy to wait till it comes my way but im surprised we havent had any reports of any other networks getting the update yet.

I kind of expected it would be out on one particular network on one day and maybe a couple of days later it'd show up on another, but as far as i can tell its only shown up on vodaphone so far.

Upvote 0
I kind of expected it would be out on one particular network on one day and maybe a couple of days later it'd show up on another, but as far as i can tell its only shown up on vodaphone so far.

It all depends when the individual networks get their acts together - they all test and tweak the firmware themselves and their speed varies by quite a lot.

To be honest, we weren't expecting vodafone to be ready so soon after HTC, that's unusual.

Reactions: Sonic Reducer
Upvote 0
Has anyone in the UK not on Vodaphone got this update yet? Ive got an unbranded DHD on o2 (through carphone warehouse) Ive been checking for an update every day - tried the changing date thing to no avail. Im happy to wait till it comes my way but im surprised we havent had any reports of any other networks getting the update yet.

Nothing has appeared on my DHD and I'm the same as you, O2 unbranded cpw.

Hopefully we get the update soon as it would be better than froyo with the SMS notifcation bug but I can wait.

If your that desperate you could try put a Vodaphone sim in your phone if you have one but thats a bit too extreme I think.

Upvote 0
It all depends when the individual networks get their acts together - they all test and tweak the firmware themselves and their speed varies by quite a lot.

To be honest, we weren't expecting vodafone to be ready so soon after HTC, that's unusual.

Ahh, I see. Thanks. So That's probably why people with unbranded phones are up in arms about not getting the update before the newtorks, I take it? ( I only discovered mine was 'unbranded' the other day from reading posts on here and reading what the criteria for unbranded was)

If so, it does seem a little wierd that unbranded phones havent got the upgrade by now. Presumably HTC having done their testing could roll out the upgrade to unbranded users?

Upvote 0
If your that desperate you could try put a Vodaphone sim in your phone if you have one but thats a bit too extreme I think.

Oh, im not desperate at all, It'd be nice to get the benfits of the better battery usage and im keen to see what other goodies the new upgrade has to offer but I'm happy to wait. Just throught I would try the date changing trick the other day as someone said it had worked for them.

I was more curious as to why the upgrade had only showed up on Vodaphone in the UK.

Upvote 0
Ahh, I see. Thanks. So That's probably why people with unbranded phones are up in arms about not getting the update before the newtorks, I take it? ( I only discovered mine was 'unbranded' the other day from reading posts on here and reading what the criteria for unbranded was)

If so, it does seem a little wierd that unbranded phones havent got the upgrade by now. Presumably HTC having done their testing could roll out the upgrade to unbranded users?

Yeah, unbranded phones usually get these things a few weeks early at least. If I recall correctly what I read earlier in this thread, HTC presumably found a bug and had to do some more testing for the UK release. So I'm assuming that bug doesn't affect/was already fixed by Vodafone in their release.

EDIT: This was it: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/309009-htc-gingerbread-update-4.html#post2644679

I took that as meaning they found some bug/problem with the UK version.

Upvote 0

It wouldn't make a difference, branded phones have S/W on them that tell the handset to look to the providers servers, not HTCs.

From my understanding, you could buy a Vodafone branded DHD, unlock to work on any network, stick in an Orange SIM and it would still look to the vodafone servers for OTA updates. Whether or not it would get one is a different story altogether.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
Branded or unbranded? Don understand

Branded phones are normally bought through network providers and locked to the particular network.

If your phone has any network provider badges on the phone itself or if there's any software on your phone specific to your provider, it's probably a branded phone.

To be sure though, check Settings -> About phone -> Software information -> Software number

If you're phone is unbranded, the software number should be something like x.xx.405.x

If it's something other than 405, it's branded.

Upvote 0
Branded phones are normally bought through network providers and locked to the particular network.

If your phone has any network provider badges on the phone itself or if there's any software on your phone specific to your provider, it's probably a branded phone.

To be sure though, check Settings -> About phone -> Software information -> Software number

If you're phone is unbranded, the software number should be something like x.xx.405.x

If it's something other than 405, it's branded.

Ok noted. I'm using unbranded one. Just finished installed the update 2.3. Will let guys know what are the improvement. The obvious things that I can tell now is the reception is better than before.

Upvote 0
I'm on hold with HTC now to see if they'll let me know when they're commencing rollout.

I don't think the girl I spoke with had any idea there was a rollout TBH though......

Had zip all response from HTC on Twitter...I'd have been happy to wait a couple of days post Vodafone release but in truth the fact those users have had it so far in front of unbranded users sticks in my chuffing craw.

Upvote 0
They told me nothing. I am in complete awe of the incompetence of the girl I spoke with over the phone.

After telling her I'm not on a branded handset, I'm just using an Orange SIM, she told me that only Vodafone customers are getting this update at the moment and because I have an Orange branded handset, I would have to wait. I went back and forth with her a bit, explaining that I've an unbranded phone, I was just using an Orange SIM so I would be getting the update from HTC, not Orange, but she was having none of it. I just gave up in the end.

I'm slightly confused though, because I gave her my IMEI and she told me I was Orange despite me being unbranded.

Had zip all response from HTC on Twitter...

Nothing on FB either, there was a thread earlier, but it looks like they deleted it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones