• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Hero contacts and changing google mail accounts

seaniep

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
My wife has an HTC Hero on the Sprint network. When we first got it for her, she was working for a non-profit that had google mail, she didn't have another gmail/google mail account so she just put that one into her Hero it seemed convenient. She has since left that position, they are not all that cooperative and have deleted her email address, we want to put a new googlemail/gmail account into her phone. When she went to the sprint store, they were going to delete all of her contacts - this cannot happen. The contacts are still on her phone, they are google contacts (as opposed to phone contacts) - ideally I could take them all off and into a spreadsheet so as to edit them down? But the bottom line is that I need to delete the now inactive googlemail account that is on her phone, and then I need to add a new one, but I want to keep her contacts somehow and then put them back on the phone.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I found your forums trying to find a solution to this problem as the Sprint Store wants us to drive an hour to a different store that has a "tech". We have a hard time believing that this problem does arise for anyone else in the world but us?

Thank you again

I am not sure on a stock Hero as I am rooted and have been for about 3 months, but try this, hit contacts,then hit menu and then hit export, that should create a CSV file to your SD card, then you can delete her old Gmail account and the set her Gmail account with the new email account she created, then you can import the contacts you just created. to her new email account

My wife has an HTC Hero on the Sprint network. When we first got it for her, she was working for a non-profit that had google mail, she didn't have another gmail/google mail account so she just put that one into her Hero it seemed convenient. She has since left that position, they are not all that cooperative and have deleted her email address, we want to put a new googlemail/gmail account into her phone. When she went to the sprint store, they were going to delete all of her contacts - this cannot happen. The contacts are still on her phone, they are google contacts (as opposed to phone contacts) - ideally I could take them all off and into a spreadsheet so as to edit them down? But the bottom line is that I need to delete the now inactive googlemail account that is on her phone, and then I need to add a new one, but I want to keep her contacts somehow and then put them back on the phone.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I found your forums trying to find a solution to this problem as the Sprint Store wants us to drive an hour to a different store that has a "tech". We have a hard time believing that this problem does arise for anyone else in the world but us?

Thank you again

Upvote 0
Something else you can try before you delete the old gmail account from her phone

If all your contacts are Google skip to step 5.

1) Go to the 'Market'
2) Search ContactSync
3) Download and Install
4) Run program and it will transfer any Phone Contacts to Google ones.

5) Go into 'Settings'
6) Now click on 'Data Synchronization'.
7) Scroll down to 'Contacts' and ensure the tick box is marked. Even if it is not untick it and retick it and will start to synchronize.
8) Give 5 mins+ and it should be done.

Reactions: ladyc_833
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones