• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Hero Safe Mode Problem

Hi, I have a Sprint HTC Hero - I'm not sure what version of Android it is running, but it is the same version I've had since I got the phone in December of 2009. I have not rooted the phone or done anything beyond normal use.

I recently dropped the phone in water, and immediately recovered the phone, took the battery out, and but it in a bag of rice.

Just about everything is working fine on the phone now (even the screen has dried out and doesn't show imperfections). However there are a few problems.

The main problem is the phone only boots into SAFE mode. I think this is because there may be an electrical short that is forcing safe mode? Not sure. This prevents me from accessing any 3rd party apps... making the phone kinda useless.

The phone also has some speaker issues once in a while, and shuts down randomly sometimes too (not huge issues).

Is there any way I could get rid of this safe mode issue, and force the phone back into the normal OS mode? Do you think upgrading to the newest OS available (I think 2.1) for the Hero would fix the problem?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones