• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Hero Touch Screen problems

Do you have a SPRINT HTC Hero (CDMA)? Does your phone say Sprint on the front? You mention having bought the phone in the mid east, and not Canada...:thinking:

We can get you the best help if we know exactly what phone you have. :)

My mistake, I have Hero GSM and not CDMA. I didn't realize I have posted question in the Sprint CDMA thread. But will be glad to know if something works out for anyone of you to test if GSM has similar solution.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Looks like, I am not the only one facing this problem though quite new to it. It just started 3 days back and very annoying since then, phone works and not works. It doesnt recognize the touch location e.g. I touch in the middle of the screen and screen bottom buttons 'Applications-Phone' are clicked. I cant type properly. I had to press hard. Turning screen off and turning on sometimes helps but thats not valid all the times. Surely, it is the most annoying thing I am facing on it even worst than waiting for 2.1 upgrade..So far all the searches resulted in no solution :-( really looking forward to hear from you all.

Returning the phone is not an option. I didnt buy from Canada. I had it from mid-east and carrying it since last year so need to find a fix.

Thanks for helping. off course, there will be a solution. I trust so many genious brains out here ;-)
You can try : Main menu>Settings >Touch Input>Text Input>Calibration tool then follow directiions.
If doesn't help try: Main menu>Language & keyboard >Touch input>Text input >Reset Calibration (reset).
If that Main menu> Settings >Sound & Display>G sensor calibration then put on a level flat surface and reset.
If those things don't work then I don't know,maybe a hard reset,but I doubt that will help.

Upvote 0
i think ive been having the same problem. the touch screen doesnt work when i touch it... if i touch it on one side... it presses something else on the other side.. as if it had a mind of its own! sometimes when im trying to text... it doesnt show what im typing at all.
i cant drag down the screen lock... and when i finally do... the screen zooms in and out.. then it shows me all the slides.

my htc is refurbished and i bought it online from the sprint store.. but i dont know if that has anything to do with this problem? also i noticed that theres a small plastic under the screen... and at first i thought that was causing the problem until i read this article

please help!

thanx

Upvote 0
i think ive been having the same problem. the touch screen doesnt work when i touch it... if i touch it on one side... it presses something else on the other side.. as if it had a mind of its own! sometimes when im trying to text... it doesnt show what im typing at all.
i cant drag down the screen lock... and when i finally do... the screen zooms in and out.. then it shows me all the slides.

my htc is refurbished and i bought it online from the sprint store.. but i dont know if that has anything to do with this problem? also i noticed that theres a small plastic under the screen... and at first i thought that was causing the problem until i read this article

please help!

thanx

How long have you had it? Is the warranty still in effect? Sounds like you need to contact Sprint and get a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
hmm maybe you need a new touch screen, once I had an iphone and the bottom portion of the touchscreen didn't respond, I swapped the screen and it works great. The other thing that could be wrong with it, is that the flex cable some how got disconnected (maybe just a portion of it) try reconnecting it and then it might work. You can get a touch screen at durapowerglobal they have good prices and products.

Upvote 0
Got the same problem, about a week ago the touch screen started to glitch sometimes. For example, I'm browsing a web page in the Dolphin HD browser. I try to scroll the page down, but instead it zooms in and out. Or the bottom of the screen becomes absolutely unresponsive, so I can't type text or open the Phone menu. Then this could be solved for some time by simply turning the screen off for 5 seconds. I've done the factory reset and for a couple of days it just worked perfectly. But now it's an absolute mess! Not only does the touch screen produce touch events on its own, but the phone completely glitches: hardware buttons don't do what they should do, the launcher starts to zoom in and out on its own, and so on and so on. Now this doesn't seem like a touch screen issue.. Anyone with same troubles?

Upvote 0
Got the same problem, about a week ago the touch screen started to glitch sometimes. For example, I'm browsing a web page in the Dolphin HD browser. I try to scroll the page down, but instead it zooms in and out. Or the bottom of the screen becomes absolutely unresponsive, so I can't type text or open the Phone menu. Then this could be solved for some time by simply turning the screen off for 5 seconds. I've done the factory reset and for a couple of days it just worked perfectly. But now it's an absolute mess! Not only does the touch screen produce touch events on its own, but the phone completely glitches: hardware buttons don't do what they should do, the launcher starts to zoom in and out on its own, and so on and so on. Now this doesn't seem like a touch screen issue.. Anyone with same troubles?

Sounds like hardware issues to me. Are you able to take it to a Sprint store and have them check it out?

If anything, you may be able to get a refurbished replacement, though I am not sure how many Sprint HTC Hero handsets are left in their stock at this point. It is worth a try though.

Reactions: kaalatittar
Upvote 0
Sounds like hardware issues to me. Are you able to take it to a Sprint store and have them check it out?

If anything, you may be able to get a refurbished replacement, though I am not sure how many Sprint HTC Hero handsets are left in their stock at this point. It is worth a try though.

I believe that this is a problem with HTC hero, few other users have reported this as well. My Hero now doesnt work at ALL, unless I squeeze the bottom third with one hand and then use the touchscreen with other.

Finally got Cyanogen to work and now this screen failure !! :( Had the fone since March 2010, dont have warranty or insurance, not sure how much will they charge me to repair or give me a used one for free ?

Otherwise, headed to ebay to get another set. LBP, if I buy a EVo from ebay / Caraigslist, will they make me pay the extra $ 10 'premium data" or 4G ( whatever they call it ) charge or will I be able to keep my current 3G
plan ?

KT

Upvote 0
I believe that this is a problem with HTC hero, few other users have reported this as well. My Hero now doesnt work at ALL, unless I squeeze the bottom third with one hand and then use the touchscreen with other.

Finally got Cyanogen to work and now this screen failure !! :( Had the fone since March 2010, dont have warranty or insurance, not sure how much will they charge me to repair or give me a used one for free ?

Otherwise, headed to ebay to get another set. LBP, if I buy a EVo from ebay / Caraigslist, will they make me pay the extra $ 10 'premium data" or 4G ( whatever they call it ) charge or will I be able to keep my current 3G
plan ?

KT

If you get ANY other handset, whether it is 3G or 4G, and switch over to that ESN, you will incur the $10.00 extra per month. They call it a "premium data" fee.

It does not matter if the handset is new or old either. The minute you switch to that handset's ESN from your current Sprint HTC Hero one, the charge will be added to your monthly bill.

Reactions: kaalatittar
Upvote 0
and that is true even if
1. I get a replacement phone because my current phone could not be repaired by Sprint store ?
2. I use y old flip phone ( not 3G )
Thanks for your response.
KT

You might be able to get Sprint to let you keep your bill the same without the $10.00 premium data charge being added if you get a replacement handset from them if the old one can not be repaired. I cannot guarantee that will definitely happen though.

I think that the $10.00 premium data charge only applies to smartphones. I would call a Sprint customer service representative and verify that though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones