• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC M8 - Unlocked Bootloader, Rooted but Still Cannot Uninstall Bloatware

mricu

Lurker
Jan 29, 2011
Hi all,

Please forgive me if I don't provide all the details to my issue as I'm not an expert with rooting (yet), and at the same time I appologise for the potentially long post, but am hoping someone out there can help with my issue.

I have an HTC M8 running Lollipop on AT&T and decided that I really hate the bloatware floating around on my phone so went through the rooting process in order to forcefully remove the ATT software. So far this is what I have done:

- Made back-ups of my apps and settings using Clockworkmod Helium/HTC Sync Manager
- Unlocked bootloader through HTCDev website
- Rooted the phone using TWRP (twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img) and installed SuperSU (sorry if i'm not using the correct terms as I'm not sure if these are the programs that actually root the phone, but just wanted to provide references to the programs I used)
- Validated root using Root Checker and everything came out as being correctly rooted.
- Tried getting S-Off through rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0 but didn't look like it worked.

So currently I have an HTC M8 "rooted" phone with S-On and loads properly into the OS (from what I can tell).

I installed Titanium Back-up which is what I intend to use to remove bloatware. It was granted super user access. But still needed to install BusyBox.

I tried installing BusyBox 1.23.2 and upon startup it gains super user access, but when I try to install it the phone it does one of two things:

a) gives me an error message saying "It looks like the installation of BusyBox was not succesful. Try installing to a different location, that may resolve the issue." It is being installed to /system/xbin.

b) It just resets the phone and goes through a normal start-up cycle, but still shows that it is not installed.

Without Busy Box, I don't think Titanium Back-up can work. I tried removing some software using Titanium Back-up, knowin BusyBox was not installed, and the phone just resets itself back to the OS.

So that is where I'm at. Any suggestions on possible next steps to help me remove my bloatware? I want to remove this bloatware before I start re-installing all my programs and tweaking my settings

Thanks, and please let me know if you need any more specific details.

Funny thing about this phone... Even though you did all that, I see you didn't s-off. This is your problem. HTC still has system write protection on.

You can:
1) use sunshine and gain s-off for $25
2) install a custom sense ROM like viperone, leedroid, skydragon, etc... Just Google it. they come debloated.
3) install a custom SENSE kernel like elementalX or lonelyx that has system write

Upvote 0
Did you try installing busybox to a different location? Try installing to system/bin

Tap the install location circled in red and change to /system/bin and see if you can get a successful install.
Screenshot_20151104-184216.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That is not going to work if he is s-on. I've been there and tried it. The only option is custom ROM/kernel that has write protection turned off or sunshine.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=61698389

Fair enough. I'd not heard this before. Thanks.

Do you think an app such as THIS would work as a simple solution to install busy box?

Also, for OP's sake, any chance you could link him to a modified stock kernel with write protection disabled?

Upvote 0
Fair enough. I'd not heard this before. Thanks.

Do you think an app such as THIS would work as a simple solution to install busy box?

Also, for OP's sake, any chance you could link him to a modified stock kernel with write protection disabled?
Idk know about that app. I don't trust things like that to control things that are supposed to be controlled on the kernel level... I mean what about recovery actions? How's that going to work? No. I don't trust it.

Be glad to link to a couple of kernels that I know work great on stock sense LP Roms.
1) lonelyx

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347784848

2)elementalX

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347764629

Just read the first page of those threads, follow the instructions, and download the kernel. I'm personally using lonelyx with viperone 4.6.1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Idk know about that app. I don't trust things like that to control things that are supposed to be controlled on the kernel level... I mean what about recovery actions? How's that going to work? No. I don't trust it.

Be glad to link to a couple of kernels that I know work great on stock sense LP Roms.
1) lonelyx

2) elementalXhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2705613

Just read the first page of those threads, follow the instructions, and download the kernel. I'm personally using lonelyx with viperone 4.6.1
You're awesome!!

@mricu take a look at the links Razen_kain posted and give us a shout out if you need any help. Should be pretty straight forward, but don't be afraid to ask!

Upvote 0
You're awesome!!

@mricu take a look at the links Razen_kane posted and give us a shout out if you need any help. Should be pretty straight forward, but don't be afraid to ask!

Definitely glad to help. The kernel names will link you to the respective xda thread where you can also ask for help. The links below the names are the direct download links

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian and Razen_kain for all the good info!

At the moment, I'm debating whether to go forward with the elementalX kernal, or just going back to the factory rooted state. Perhaps you guys can give me some more guidance.

Since I did my root, I have noticed a lot of my apps not working properly. Two apps in particular:
- What's App: It's an instant messenger type app but I am no longer receiving any alerts unless I go into the app and manually update (Background sync is on).

- Google Maps: I usually leave my GPS off to save on battery and in the past it would use my cell signal to try to get my location. After the root, it does not use my cell signal to find me, it will only use my wifi when I'm at home. When I'm out, it won't even attempt to find me through cellular.

Do either of you have experience using any of the above apps on elementalX and are they working well?

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian and Razen_kain for all the good info!

At the moment, I'm debating whether to go forward with the elementalX kernal, or just going back to the factory rooted state. Perhaps you guys can give me some more guidance.

Since I did my root, I have noticed a lot of my apps not working properly. Two apps in particular:
- What's App: It's an instant messenger type app but I am no longer receiving any alerts unless I go into the app and manually update (Background sync is on).

- Google Maps: I usually leave my GPS off to save on battery and in the past it would use my cell signal to try to get my location. After the root, it does not use my cell signal to find me, it will only use my wifi when I'm at home. When I'm out, it won't even attempt to find me through cellular.

Do either of you have experience using any of the above apps on elementalX and are they working well?

Never have used WhatsApp, and I've never once had a problem with location on this phone. Stock, rooted, custom kernels/Roms...Never. But, i always leave location on.
ElementalX is a great kernel but i suspect your issues are not related to the kernel. Won't hurt to try it. Make a backup of your current rom and if you don't like elementalX or something goes wrong you can restore it and have your original rom/kernel combo

Upvote 0
Well, after much trying and tweaking I'm afraid my rooting experience with my HTC M8 has failed and I need to go back to stock (I'll start a new thread on that).

I tried both ViperOne and ElementalX and have had issues with both. The main issue is that I am not able to receive any phone calls. It has to do with AT&T using their 4GLTE to do HD voice service. If I turn off data, it works, but who wants to contantly turn on/off data?

Anyways ... I do appreciate all the help and I've learnt a few things along the way ... now to learn how to get back to stock ...

Upvote 0
Do any of the roms you flashed have apn settings that you need to change to get it working properly? There were a few roms for my evo 3d that I remember having to manually choose the correct apn settings.

As for retuning to stock, the best and safest way would be to use the RUU. I'm pretty sure this is the correct one for your device: http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones