• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc sync can't find my phone

Really appreciate the advice - excuse my Win7 ignorance:

The contents of C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x86 are:

androidusb.cat
androidusb.INF
androidusb.sys
htc.cat
htcrndis.inf
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll

There is no HTC directory in C:/windows/system32 ... but the 2 .inf files are located here:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\androidusb.inf_x86_neutral_55dd30a167c8da35\androidusb.INF
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\htcrndis.inf_x86_neutral_68c6418758855d5a\htcrndis.inf

Reactions: punky9699
Upvote 0
Well - to add insult to injury - now that I've finally got a connection it turns out that it won't sync anything.

This is apparently because, having synched all my data from Google to the phone, my contacts are all "Google" contacts and my calendar items are all "google" calendar items - rather than "Phone" items.

WTF!!?? So I'm supposed to manage 2 separate datasets - 1 for google sync and one for phone sync!!?

Absolute ox crap - renders the whole connection exercise above entirely redundant as far as I'm concerned. Spitting feathers.

Thanks for all the input and help though.

Upvote 0
After wasting a whole morning scouring the net, uninstalling and reinstalling, calling HTC, factory resetting, using msconfig, copying drivers etc etc etc, I made one last-ditch attempt to sync my Desire by checking the "Stay Awake" option under Settings --> Applications --> Development. I did this wondering if the phone was timing out before it completed the sync search because, a few times, the Sync Manager would pop up right after the phone stopped searching for HTC Sync.

Lo and behold, the flipping thing worked! :eek: I decided to give it a go again in case it was a fluke. Consistently, my phone found HTC Sync on my PC in a matter of seconds.

I don't know if that's the solution many of us have been waiting for, but I can tell you that for now, it seems to have worked for me. Fingers crossed it keeps it up. :)

Hope this helps my fellow Android friends. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks! "Stay awake" thing really worked for Desire!

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Perhaps, that's the proper fix. Let's see if it works for others as well. Sometimes the most simple things are the solutions to big problems. I was thinking that a great device like the Desire cant possibly require users to mess with Windows services to get it to sync. After all, most people will need to sync when they switch from other phones.

I was beginning to wonder if I'd have to go back to my BlackBerry. :D

Upvote 0
My HTC Desire has been syncing just fine for a week since it arrived and suddenly in the middle of the day today after having connected a number of times it stopped.

I have uninstalled and re-installed HTC Sync on my PC seven times now and my Desire still can't detect it and now I have tried every fix mentioned above, some more than once, with no result.

The fact that this happened in the middle of the day today suggests that it is something to do with a Windows update (as they seem to arrive in a constant stream these days)

I am runing Vista on my PC, but without a syncing capability my HTC device is no use to me (The Android capability is already more limiting that I would like) and I'm out of patience.

If anybody can add something to what has already been suggested I would be very grateful.

Upvote 0
I have only had my Desire a week, and I have the same problem...
I installed the latest HTC Sync (v33). Connected the phone, drivers got loaded, phone was found and I could give the phone a name. I started to sync Windows Calendar (there were 4 things in it), 1/4 started than I got a message on the phone saying something like "com.htc.bgp had unexpectedly stopped".
Repeated connections caused the "HTC Sync could not not be found on the PC" message. Tried shuting down and restarting the phone a couple of times, still no connection.
Did the copying of drivers to the system32 folder as well.
I uninstalled HTC Sync, and installed it from the sd card (v28). Same again the first time the phone made connection but then the same unexpected stoppage.
Phone is showing OK in Device manager, and I have updated the drivers.
I have tried turning off AVG resident shield (Had to do that to load the software), and turning off windows firewall with no improvement.
I have been looking around at a number of forums found by googling the problem....with no definitive answer!
I suspect it is an issue with my PC (Vista with all the updates), but I have given up and decided to use google calendar/mail/contacts.
I am just annoyed the damn thing doesn't do what it should do!

Terry

Upvote 0
There's definitely an issue here that HTC/Google need to resolve. I don't want my choice of services dictated by Google, its already intrusive enough which is why I refuse to use any of their on-line goodies.

I need a handset that works on my terms not theirs.

I am in a series of exchanges with HTC on-line help, who are doing their best, its just not getting me anywhere (although I just heard that my issue has been "escalated"). They have come up with a number of sellotape solutions like some of those on this post, but none of them have worked and frankly, if you have to jump through these kinds of hoops to get HTC Sync to work I guess its time to admit that its a failure. Which only leaves us with the question of who is going to compensate me for my costs and inconvenience and supply me with a phone that does what it says on the can!

It would help if everyone who has this problem sent a ticket to HTC's on-line help. At least they would know that its not just me and it might get them moving a bit quicker. HTC - About HTC - Contact Us by E-mail

Reactions: Moaning Myrtle
Upvote 0
Hi

Getting the same "timed-out" response here too with the Desire.
Using Vista (why oh why?) on a Fujitsu laptop

Tried:-
Version 2.0.28 and 2.0.33
Putting files in windows/sys32
Turning it on and off again (with and without data cable plugged in)
Rebooting everything
Booting the Laptop (made me feel better but made sod-all-difference)
Reloading everything
Turning AV off (Kaspersky)
HTC sync as administrator
Following convoluted instructions to boot up lappy with nowt running
Desire with and without Debugging Mode

Have I missed anything?

Still wont recognise the Desire as connected in Sync mode, but will in Disc Drive mode.

This has to be back in their court!!

DT

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm also having this problem on an XP machine. I've checked all the stuff above and it's now with HTC support "escalated". I don't hold out much hope though. I suspect that there's an underlying problem with sync that causes it to interact badly with certain PC configurations. I would have expected HTCsupport to have seen some commonality in the problems reported and to have a definitive response by now.

One thing I found on my system was that I had a problem even getting it recognised as a disk device, I was getting "USB Device Not Recognised" messages and the warning triangle in MS device manager. By a process of elimination (not HTC Support) I discovered that there was a device conflict between the HTC Desire and a Logitech web cam I have had for years. Disabling the webcam made the phone connect as a disk drive quite happily.

I'm a little confused by this as I thought USB devices avoided all the old problems of conflicts.

Upvote 0
HTC's advice to go through the process of playing with MSCONFIG worked for me. It turns out that my recent installation of Droid Explorer broke HTC Sync. Uninstalling it gives me back my functionality.

If you can link up when you begin a barebones startup without unnecessary services and startup programs, then for sure one of those services or startup programs is the cause of the problem. Then it's just a matter of a little trial-and-error detective work to figure out which is the problem. Any recently installed program is a prime suspect for your investigation.

Reactions: gnulinuz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones