• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Weather app/widget

Scherzo

Lurker
Mar 10, 2011
Since 26th May 2011, my HTC weather app on my HTC Desire Z has been malfunctioning.

When I open it, it says 'updating...' for about 1 minute. Following which a message pops up saying 'the connection dropped while your weather information was dowloading. Try downloading again?'. If I press 'No', the weather just remains as it was on May 26th. If I press 'Yes', the same message pops up talking about the connection drop.

The weather widget just doesn't update at all.

I went to settings > accounts and sync and checked that both boxes were ticked indicating that applications can automatically sync, send and receive data at any time and checked that the weather account was there. It was. I pressed sync all just to sync again. Didn't work.

I tried restarting the phone. Didn't work. I tried a soft reset. Didn't work.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Since 26th May 2011, my HTC weather app on my HTC Desire Z has been malfunctioning.

When I open it, it says 'updating...' for about 1 minute. Following which a message pops up saying 'the connection dropped while your weather information was dowloading. Try downloading again?'. If I press 'No', the weather just remains as it was on May 26th. If I press 'Yes', the same message pops up talking about the connection drop.

The weather widget just doesn't update at all.

I went to settings > accounts and sync and checked that both boxes were ticked indicating that applications can automatically sync, send and receive data at any time and checked that the weather account was there. It was. I pressed sync all just to sync again. Didn't work.

I tried restarting the phone. Didn't work. I tried a soft reset. Didn't work.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Puts hand up.

As of the same date. Just checked again then and it failed with same error you mention. It 'has' been updating on its own every now and then. Possibly network issues with the weather provider?

Cheers,
Sombre.

Upvote 0
Same problem here, since a few days ago (around 26th May I think).

That was the same day I upgraded to Android 2.3.3, so maybe it was because of that or maybe I just happened to upgrade Android on the same day the weather stopped working.

My girlfriend has the same phone, but didn't upgrade to 2.3.3 yet, and her weather widget is working fine. So it cannot be server issues.

I noticed that I can get it to work sometimes (simply by re-trying) with a 3G mobile data connection. So the problem seems to be mainly happening during Wifi connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones