• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Wildfire S - US CDMA - Working Custom Rom

Gryffon

Jan 2, 2013
TN, USA
READ ALL

Before I start I should state that I am using a US Cellular HTC Wildfire S (CDMA) phone "MarvelC". I updated to 2.3.5 (From 2.3.4) and unlocked bootloader via HTCdev. Flashed twrp 2.2.2 as recovery (For whatever reason, CWM Recovery, no matter what version, didn't like my phone and either didn't install, wouldn't start up or done other silly things. The only CWM Recovery that actually stood up to the game was the marvelc Touch version, but that has annoying bugs so I went back to twrp 2.2.2.) Root using root.zip/SuperSU, either or.

UPDATE: January 15, 2013

After flashing numerous custom roms to my US Cellular A6230 Wildfire S (CDMA) I found there is nothing available right now that can be flashed, booted and working for my phone available rght now. There are folks working on numerous roms, patches, fixes and bugs however, but to my knowledge there are none that take into acount all the variations in the carriers and the network technology in the USA. Many of the available roms "work" to a degree, if you are OK with loosing various operations on the phone, the main loss which I can't find a working fix for on my particular device is the GPS.

I have therefore gone over to a stock rooted rom, you'll find links to that in post #10. After days upon days of mind bending effort and frustration I have given up on custom roms, as much as I like many that I flashed. I just want my phone working 100% for now.

Attachments

• root.zip
    873.8 KB · Views: 136
  • SuperSU.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
READ ALL

As I now have twrp I thought I'd try some cm roms again, and I installed cm9 alpaha9 for marvelc yesterday. This is a version specifically designed for the US marvelc

Tested & Working so far running cm-9 for Wildfire S (CMDA) MarvelC

Phone,Wifi,GPS,SMS,
Browser (A little slow and basic)
Camera/Camcorder, Torch, SuperSu

Flashed Gaps via Goomanager (Direct from Goo.im website v2.2) last night and will test the ROM further today.

Assuming I must download and flash GAPPS along with this. Do I also need the two additional links/attachments in your first post, or is the link to CM 9 all I will need?

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Assuming I must download and flash GAPPS along with this. Do I also need the two additional links/attachments in your first post, or is the link to CM 9 all I will need?

Thanks so much!

Just the cm9... I placed the attachments files there for anyone searching for them...

Good luck... let me know if you have issues..

Reactions: Mamadanz
Upvote 0
Is there an issue with the GPS with this ROM? I've tried it twice (on places where I knew where I was going) and at the top I get "Follow the map" (or something like that) and below I get "Searching for GPS".

While the map was pretty accurate - it didn't move as I traveled.

At first I thought the "searching for GPS" was because I was in the house and it couldn't connect to the satellite, but coming home from work, I was out in the open and it still showed that for the whole drive.

Is this a glitch for "me" - is it a bug in the ROM? Or perhaps the navigation that was "pre-installed" isn't that good and I need to download a new app?

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Is there an issue with the GPS with this ROM? I've tried it twice (on places where I knew where I was going) and at the top I get "Follow the map" (or something like that) and below I get "Searching for GPS".

While the map was pretty accurate - it didn't move as I traveled.

At first I thought the "searching for GPS" was because I was in the house and it couldn't connect to the satellite, but coming home from work, I was out in the open and it still showed that for the whole drive.

Is this a glitch for "me" - is it a bug in the ROM? Or perhaps the navigation that was "pre-installed" isn't that good and I need to download a new app?

Any thoughts?

Sorry, you were right, I checked the GPS after reading your post and it did the same for me :/

I just flashed to a rooted stock rom because its clear that there is no custom rom that works with my particular US cellular wildfire S.
This stock rom has all the bloatware removed so it has a lot of internal memory available now (Which was my primary objective) and everything works...
I would have liked a snappier custom rom but from spending two weeks flashing rom after rom I've just given up... I'll keep looking, but I'm notflashing anything else until I see it's actually been tested and working on my A6230.

I think you mentioned you were on Metropcs? Your version of the same root stock rom can be found here on Phandroid:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...2-1-rooted-apps2sd-metropcs-only-marvelc.html

Anyone wanting the US Cellular version can find it over on XDA (Not certain it's also on here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1390447

Upvote 0
Sorry, you were right, I checked the GPS after reading your post and it did the same for me :/

I think you mentioned you were on Metropcs? Your version of the same root stock rom can be found here on Phandroid:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...2-1-rooted-apps2sd-metropcs-only-marvelc.html

Anyone wanting the US Cellular version can find it over on XDA (Not certain it's also on here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1390447

Am on Virgin Mobile - but the WFS is Marvel C...

Was really liking this ROM.....not too happy to go back to stock - even with bloatware removed....

Oh well....

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones