• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I am sad to say. . .

. . .I am leaving the LG Ally community.

Sure, I may not have been much of a poster here in the Ally subforum (I'm posting here in the ATR subforum because I was far more active here as a rooted user than a stock unrooted user), but I have upgraded out of the LG Ally to greener pastures and bluer skies: the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE.

And I literally mean greener and bluer. The graphics on this thing are freakin' awesome.

But really.

The LG Ally was what got me into Android in the first place. The various quirks and problems within the system were what made me want to learn about Android itself. After a year of rolling with stock, I got into rooting and found out about the (nearly) endless possibilities that can be done with a rooted phone.

Recovery Mode! ROM flashing! Overclocking! Titanium Back Up! Root Explorer!

It was a very educational experience for me. My Ally has been my old reliable for the two years it has served me. Sure, it lagged like crazy, its graphics were subpar, it couldn't run many of the great apps the Android platform has. . .but the LG Ally has kept pace with me, trying its best to stay afloat in this sea of epic smartphones with gigahertz chipsets and high-definition graphics. . .and keeping up with them.

The Ally has been no disappointment to me. It's been a very reliable phone, though all the trouble it has given me.

I thank the LG Ally for bringing me into the wonderful world of Android, and educating me in rooting and flashing. . .and helping me hone my skills for the National Phone Throwing Competition 2012.

I will forever lurk the Ally forums to see what is going on with development on the LG Ally, even after its long, two-year run. My deactivated Ally will be patiently waiting for some fun with new ROMs, experimentation in flashing custom stuff, and being a starter device for helping me learn to possibly develop stuff that may end up here on the forums (can't register for a Play account. . .I don't wanna pay $25 just to get my app published. . .I'd rather have my app be freeware. . .).

Adieu, adieu. . .parting is such sweet sorrow. Adieu, LG Ally. Turn off your laggy screen, and rest your tired processor. Rest, my Ally.

I'm weird that way.

Reactions: Biotic
Good luck with your new phone. I wish i could find a suitable replacement for my Ally, but I love the keyboard too much.

I think the Droid 4 will be as close as you can get most likely. I love the keyboard on the Ally too, I think its one of the best keyboards ever made on a smartphone. However, I'm absolutely fine with typing on a virtual keyboard as well, which is why I've moved on to the S3.

To the OP: I hope you have fun with your Nexus, its a very sleak looking phone! It was one of my top options if I couldnt get a newly released phone before the unlimited data cut off.

Upvote 0
Sad to say that I too am leaving the Ally behind. I have 2 Ally's one was my daily driver, the other a "backup" and rom tester to try those roms out before i put them on my daily driver. I am most likely going to remove the dialer on those and let my two young-uns use them as mini tablets to keep them quiet on trips etc....
I had a choice to make on a FREE upgrade between 5 phones and only two were slated to get the ICS upgrade the HTC Rhyme and LG Lucid. After comparing them all I went with the Lucid and am greatly impressed with this phone and the ease of rooting it even after an update. Not enough development on it yet, but hoping that changes. 4g LTE, 1.2 ghz dual core processor, 1gig ram, 8 gig storage, (up to 32 gig card additional storage (which I added the 32 gig card)), front and rear camera's (rear 5mp front VGA 1.3mp), 1080p video recording, 4" screen. Only drawback no physical keyboard like the Ally but the screen is big enough that that isn't much of a problem. And the upgrading of my phone didn't have me losing my unlimited data plan like some I have heard had happen.

I do have a question and was wondering why they consider this a low to mid Android device? I mean all the high end devices only have 2 things different that is an 8mp camera (not a big deal) and a 4.3" screen (again not that big a difference), and this one has the 1.2ghz dual core when most high ends only have a 1ghz processor and some aren't even dual core. Do they just consider LG an inferior producer of phones compared to HTC and Motorola? Just my wonderings.......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones