• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I can not for the life of me get Data to work.

rontron

Jul 23, 2011
So I got my Optimus a few days ago and wanted to get root my phone and get all the cool features that goes a long with it (and get rid of the bloatware) So I decided to Root my phone.

So I downloaded gingerbread and rooted my phone just fine. Now I couldn't get recovery on my phone so I decided to choose the easy way out (or so I thought) and use the dreaded Rom Manager... well needless to say I got hit in the face with a brick...

So I followed this to unbrick my phone and finally got it back up and running... then flashed recovery and installed sense rom.

Well my MSID was zeroed out so I followed this and finally got my MSID correct but still no service... so I updated my personal roaming list using *228 and FINALLY GOT SERVICE.

Well.. I can make phone calls and text but no MMS or internet.

##626* allows me to change DATA settings (MIP NAI, Browser Proxy Settings, SIP NAI etc.) but I don't want to mess with those since I have no clue what I'm doing.

Sorry for the wall of text but I spent my weekend smashing my face against my virtual keyboad.... Anyone have any ideas?

So I got my Optimus a few days ago and wanted to get root my phone and get all the cool features that goes a long with it (and get rid of the bloatware) So I decided to Root my phone.

So I downloaded gingerbread and rooted my phone just fine. Now I couldn't get recovery on my phone so I decided to choose the easy way out (or so I thought) and use the dreaded Rom Manager... well needless to say I got hit in the face with a brick...

So I followed this to unbrick my phone and finally got it back up and running... then flashed recovery and installed sense rom.

Well my MSID was zeroed out so I followed this and finally got my MSID correct but still no service... so I updated my personal roaming list using *228 and FINALLY GOT SERVICE.

Well.. I can make phone calls and text but no MMS or internet.

##626* allows me to change DATA settings (MIP NAI, Browser Proxy Settings, SIP NAI etc.) but I don't want to mess with those since I have no clue what I'm doing.

Sorry for the wall of text but I spent my weekend smashing my face against my virtual keyboad.... Anyone have any ideas?

Open voice dialer and say APN a little box will pop up click it and add these settings

Name: MetroPCS
APN: <Not Set>
Proxy: proxy.metropcs.net
Port: 3128
Username: <Not Set>
Password: <Not Set>
Server: <Not Set>
MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc
MMS Port: <Not Set>
MCC: <Not Set>
MNC: <Not Set>
Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP APN Type: *

Save the APN it will error but save any way and back out check to make sure the apn is their by opening the apn menu again. Reboot and wait a sec and see if you have data hope this helps. I found it in the ascend forums! Let me know if it works for you

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply!

Don't know if you left it out on purpose but do I put anything in for MMS Port? Also it's saying APN cannot be empty

Keep mms port empty... when it says apn cannot be empty save it anyways and just back out with the home button or back button then say apn in your voice dialer and check to see if metro Pcs is their and highlighted reboot and u should have data. Also update your prl file

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones