• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I can't get in!!

Hey everybody, it's @MoodyBlues but I can't get logged in. I've tried different browsers, but I just get stuck. I can use the "Log in" button at the top, but as soon as I log in, it takes me to a 'register' page. At other times (sorry, I've been experimenting and don't recall exactly), I was told usernames must be unique, and MoodyBlues is already in use. Um...yeah, by me! What's the secret?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Will the mobile app be next?
Sadly the mobile app will not be updated. It was built by @steve and includes a TON of code that we could not port from XF 1.5 to 2.2 without our full-time staff. You've got no idea how badly I so dearly wish we still had our whole team onboard... but we've got to make due as best we can with what we've got!

We'll mostly likely replace the Android App with a simple icon link to the website until further notice (haven't researched this just yet).

Accessing favorites quickly is definitely something I care about, however, that entire concept/system will need to be revisited. Most of the "favorites" were related to Channels (specific Devices, Apps, Games, etc...) and no longer exist. We're currently exploring how best to reintegrate that concept into the site with the minimal amount of custom code.

Upvote 0
Any chance for Tapatalk support?
0% chance.

They really screwed over a lot of Forum owners, including AF.

They basically promised us the world to sign up with them, siphoned our users to their app, took 100% of the revenue from ads on our content, and then refused to remove our content from their site. They're a glorified scraper site. Bait and switched the hell out of us.

Upvote 0
Well that's unfortunate. I use TT for several forums, it's convenient to have them all in one place and it allows for global dark mode by using the system theme. I use it in a basic mode without a Tapatalk account (who needs that?) and an effective adblocker (Blokada) so no ads or extra stuff to make it annoying. Would have been nice to add AF but looks like it's not to be.
But with a working dark mode and the ongoing improvements, a Firefox shortcut isn't looking too shabby.

Upvote 0
Yeah honestly screw Tapatalk. I was so sick of them using pop-ups to install their app when a browser worked perfectly fine. Good riddance to that mess.

The web browser is the most useful app on a smartphone to me. I don't need dozens of various apps to replace websites and Tapatalk encouraged that mess. Why have a facebook, twitter, youtube app when you can just use the browser? I always thought it ironic that one of the initial strengths of owning a smartphone (ever since the iPhone in 2007) was 'desktop class browsing' and NOT mobile sites, and now we have redundant apps filling up our home screens for each individual website, the mobile version of a cluttered Windows desktop. Worse yet, all those 'apps' require constant updates and since iOS 7 and Android 5 soured me, I no longer believe in updates and use devices that no longer get them.

OEMs, developers, you brought this upon yourselves. I wonder how many complaints about storage on one's phone/tablet would've been alleviated had one just used the browser vs. various apps. Mom's phone has literally hundreds of apps for websites, from Redbox, to Facebook, to the freaking Weather Channel. I had to point out to her that the iPhone 13 Pro has a built-in Weather app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
now we have redundant apps filling up our home screens for each individual website
That's what I loved about the AF app... how it detected your device and automagically joined forums for your device and carrier, connecting you with like-minded users in the process.

It never took off like we hoped, nor did our "Early Bird News" app. Looking back I can think of plenty of reasons why... but still a bit surprised the concepts themselves didn't carry the apps more.

In going through our files, I see that I literally renamed the Tapatalk folder to F&%^ TAPATALK where those symbols are not symbols. Haha.

Upvote 0
At the time I used a tablet instead of a laptop because I lived in a camper where no outlet near where I sat or spent time existed and laptops then only got 2 hours on battery, and having to deal with the 'browse this forum on Tapatalk' pop-up for every time I typed 'androidforums.com' annoyed the ever loving crap out of me that I swore off any remote chance I'd, well, give it a chance. the tablet loaded the site fine as-is.

Pretty much every internet forum I spent time on in those days, had that pop-up.

Similar annoyances on Google searches happened, where you'd get 'askmefast.com' and 'fixya.com' links with the exact topic you were curious about, but the sites only loaded ads, and askmefast wanted you to pay to see the answer. That used to take up a good 80% of search results. Never wanted to give either sites a chance, as if you annoy me, I don't bother.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones