• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I DESIRE an Nexus One

...but samsung themselves as a company would not be making a concious decision to leak it purposefully

Allow me to disagree.

Bottom line guys: none of the argument you brought here can't convince me that this is a good phone (except for the screen which is great).
I only hope DESIRE is what I expect from an Android phone and it's not going to be stuck with 2.1 (being so similar with nexus one).

I thank you for your thoughts and goodwill! You've sweetened the pill since my first day with galaxy :)

Upvote 0
also its not down to samsung. the firmware has to be accredited and tested by the carrier and pass (which is when it gets released officially)

Well here's another problem. I bought my Galaxy from eBay (or could have bought it unlocked from Expansys or somewhere else) and I probably would never buy a 'sponsored' phone with a 12-24 months contract.

I don't dive a bit about O2 UK - but I suppose it is the only official carrier for this phone across the UK. Considering only phones with CSC can be updated via NPS, I would be totally depend on a company, that I have pretty much nothing to do with. That really pisses off too in the whole "official update" business.

Upvote 0
Allow me to disagree.

Bottom line guys: none of the argument you brought here can't convince me that this is a good phone (except for the screen which is great).
I only hope DESIRE is what I expect from an Android phone and it's not going to be stuck with 2.1 (being so similar with nexus one).

I thank you for your thoughts and goodwill! You've sweetened the pill since my first day with galaxy :)
you can dissagree all you want, there is a legal responsibility between samsung and carrier firmware. it is holding the carrier name.
if it was non csc firmware (which doesnt seem to exist) then it would be a different story

Upvote 0
Well here's another problem. I bought my Galaxy from eBay (or could have bought it unlocked from Expansys or somewhere else) and I probably would never buy a 'sponsored' phone with a 12-24 months contract.

I don't dive a bit about O2 UK - but I suppose it is the only official carrier for this phone across the UK. Considering only phones with CSC can be updated via NPS, I would be totally depend on a company, that I have pretty much nothing to do with. That really pisses off too in the whole "official update" business.
have you ever seen a non csc samsung update for galaxy?
i havent

unbranded phones dont get the updates

Upvote 0
In conclusion, all phones released in 2009 were a bit pants. Android had too many bugs and whether it was the Galaxy or another phone they all had their share of frustrations. Personally while there's things I like about my Galaxy it still gives me a lot of headaches and instead of enjoying the phone I frequently check what new phones are out there in contemplation of getting something new.

But, I think I'll wait a bit, maybe til there's Frodo or Gingerbread phones out there. I wish Google had a roadmap with more information on what will be in future releases and with a rough release date. So much for being "open", there's just nothing out there with that information.

I'm another of the "never another Samsung" group, although to be fair I don't think any of the other manufacturers are really all that more open or useful in telling their customers when updates will be available.

Upvote 0
In conclusion, all phones released in 2009 were a bit pants. Android had too many bugs and whether it was the Galaxy or another phone they all had their share of frustrations. Personally while there's things I like about my Galaxy it still gives me a lot of headaches and instead of enjoying the phone I frequently check what new phones are out there in contemplation of getting something new.

But, I think I'll wait a bit, maybe til there's Frodo or Gingerbread phones out there. I wish Google had a roadmap with more information on what will be in future releases and with a rough release date. So much for being "open", there's just nothing out there with that information.

I'm another of the "never another Samsung" group, although to be fair I don't think any of the other manufacturers are really all that more open or useful in telling their customers when updates will be available.

I think you're right about everything. I just could not take any more of these "headaches" so I went out and bought an HTC DESIRE!!

After I played 3 full days with it I could write a whole day about how bad the galaxy is unlike DESIRE but I'm only gonna try to make the comparison simpler:
GALAXY: it's like running windows ME on 32mb of ram
DESIRE: it's like running windows 7 on 4gb of ram

I finally understand what was all the fuss about HTC Sense...it's not only the theme but all the little apps/widgets that comes with it that makes it GREAT. Add to that the functionality built in 2.1 and you get a phone that has it all. I only needed to install a third of the programs I used to install on galaxy after a wipe and the best thing is that all of these htc/2.1 apps are way better than the 3rd party apps I used to install (including paid apps like "beam reader").

Bottom line: DESIRE is all I was hopping galaxy to be and even more than that. It's not bug-free of course as I did encounter a couple of bugs but they are minor ("I don't give a s#1t" type).

Reactions: gie62001
Upvote 0
well done, good choice. me too bought desire and damn this thing is fast and your comparison is true.
i just wanted to say that playing with this phone for 2 days made me thing - why on earth i bought samsung galaxy for :) but at the same time i got to know how android works and many other things.
for now im thankful to HTC who created such a beatyful phone and the hardware they put in.
however i'll still hang around here to give support whoever needs it and maybe will do comparison video of both devices to let people see how much they're struggling with their galaxies :)

Upvote 0
maybe will do comparison video of both devices to let people see how much they're struggling with their galaxies :)

no need to rub it in
tongue.gif

Upvote 0
My first car was a wreck, I spent almost as long working on it as I did driving it. Yet it got me eveywhere I needed to go, I loved driving it, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

Despite, (Or maybe because of ) all the problems, I have spent almost as much time working on it, flashing and tweeeking as I have using it. I think it is safe to say the Galaxy will hold a similar place as my first Android phone.

Still want a Desire, but won't rush, saying goodbyr to my Galaxy will be emotional.

Upvote 0
My first car was a wreck, I spent almost as long working on it as I did driving it. Yet it got me eveywhere I needed to go, I loved driving it, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

Despite, (Or maybe because of ) all the problems, I have spent almost as much time working on it, flashing and tweeeking as I have using it. I think it is safe to say the Galaxy will hold a similar place as my first Android phone.

Still want a Desire, but won't rush, saying goodbyr to my Galaxy will be emotional.
quoted for epicness

Upvote 0
no need to rub it in
tongue.gif

sorry hehe naaatttt...
huh you cant imagine how it feels actually everything really works, when im saying works i mean at blazing speed and smootheness. and then now and again i touch the galaxy as my sim card is still there as im playing World War on it as it's got unlimited internet access on O2 but put this sim card to my desire and damn this thing flies. never seen loading pop up on this game on desire :)
and for everyone's interest Speed Test app on the same O2 simplicity sim on Galaxy is showing around 1.8 - 2 mb of internet speed while on desire its showing 2.4 - 2.8 mb/s speeds. and its also showing H (HSDPA) while on galaxy it only used to be 3G. seriously maybe if i have more time tomorrow i would do video comparisson but pitty that i don't have wireless router to do fair comparison of both devices. but maybe ill do if i decide to go to uni tomorrow as there's wirelles connection there :)
end note - whoever was stuck with galaxies and always wanted their devices to work, dont hesitate unless something better comes out soon, get the HTC desire or Nexus 1. damn these devices cant be even compared to our poor old galaxies
have a nice day guys and girls

Upvote 0
and its also showing H (HSDPA) while on galaxy it only used to be 3G
its just part of their theme

galaxy shows 3g for hsdpa, i can tell you this as standard 3g you will not get more than 128kb/s down on o2 where as you can get anything from 256-7.2 on hsdpa

still though you are talking next generation technology so the speed improvements are to be expected.
you cannot expect 528mhz 192ram to compare to 1ghz 512ram, its more than double everything lol

the hsdpa/3g thing is just an icon set though

Upvote 0
galaxy shows 3g for hsdpa, i can tell you this as standard 3g you will not get more than 128kb/s down on o2 where as you can get anything from 256-7.2 on hsdpa

so how do you explain this?

galaxy:
Imageshack - img1681j.jpg

htc desire
Imageshack - img1680h.jpg

note: both phones using the same sim card. both have killed all apps, background, and all other stuff killed just allowing use data. same location (on the floor in the room), almost same time just couple of minutes difference to change sim cards, galaxy (1.6) desire (2.1). btw i used to get only 1.2 mb/s most with galaxy 1.5 cupcake.
just want to hear ur opinions. i think it might be due to processor speed and amount of ram but im not sure or the way it handles data connection, but i can tell one thing that opera mini on my galaxy opening pages slower than stock browser on desire :)
btw if you see ping speed on galaxy is a bit better than on desire, but maybe just coincidence :)

Upvote 0
its excellent and yes
Actually that's the only thing I don't like about desire...if you need to scroll trough some text or list it's a pain to use it. Not to mention that it can be activated by mistake when moving your fingers from one button to another without even touching the senzor and this is causing things to happen...annoiyng

Upvote 0
[
Actually that's the only thing I don't like about desire...if you need to scroll trough some text or list it's a pain to use it. Not to mention that it can be activated by mistake when moving your fingers from one button to another without even touching the senzor and this is causing things to happen...annoiyng

nope its not like this, dont even know how its done but believe me you can't accidentally trigger it. ive been using desire for 4days now and it didnt happen and if you look at desire's thread i don't see anyone having this isssue.
however im also telling you that the screen is huge compared to galaxy and you won't need that much scrolling. and why fingers are not good or better for scrolling
so optical pad is done excellent, actually i was worid about it before buying as technology is kind of new (been used only in couple of mobile devices before), but trust me there is nothing to worry about, well at least until now :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones