• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I dun messed up, renamed system files

snapcase

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
So I've been using a Nexus 7 that belongs to a family member lately, mostly to watch Netflix. The tablet was rooted by someone else by unknown means. It doesn't appear to have a custom recovery installed and it's a stock ROM. I don't know the exact version of the Nexus 7, and I'm not 100% sure which version of Android it's running other than one of the flavors of ICS.

I ran into trouble with Netflix giving me an error message (0013) during playback, and I found out it's almost certainly because the device is rooted. I searched for solutions, and the recommendations mostly revolved around deleting or renaming some of the DRM files in the root directories (yeah I know... stupid of me to listen). I renamed several files by appending .bak to the end of the filename, though I don't remember offhand exactly which files or their respective directories. All was fine and Netflix started working again, but then I let the battery die before reverting the file names.

Now the device is stuck in the boot animation (the Nexus "X" logo). I can't get it to boot up and I don't know if there's any way to rename those files to their original names through other means. I tried connecting it to my PC and using ADB, but ADB doesn't list the tablet as a connected device, while Fastboot does.

Is there any way for me to rename those files to their original names (just delete the .bak) with the PC (Windows 7)? I'd rather not have to wipe the tablet if it can be at all avoided. Would appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

There are two Nexus 7 tablets, 2012 and 2013, so you could be running anything from jellybean to marshmallow

You won't be able to rename system files with a PC in browse mode, you'll have to use ADB. And that's only if USB debugging was toggled before the tablet smoked. With no specific Android OS to work with here, I'd say you're screwed. But it's a Nexus, and it can definitely be fixed, but with a firmware flash. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for pics and other stuff to be there afterwards.

Also, performing a factory reset will NOT revert system files you changed, it's gonna do the same thing it's doing now. Not boot up. Changes in a system folder stay put with a reset.

Take chances plugging it into a PC to take any photos or videos off of it, or look up WugFresh Nexus tool kit over in XDA forums and go from there.

Edit:
Saw you can only get fastboot to recognize. Good for flashing system partitions, not so good for renaming files. You're gonna have to reflash that thing.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones