• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I exchanged my Galaxy Nexus for a Rezound last night.

I think you will see a lot of converts in the weeks to come once some that puchased the nexus with high hopes become disappointed. Not saying that there won't be those who love the nexus but I'm sure there are quite a few who bought the phone for the ics experience. Loved that part but I can wait for it to come to the rezound. Some little things just bugged the heck out of me. For example if you had text messages from ten different people and wanted to save one of the threads you would have to manually go into the other nine and delete them individually instead of just checking off the ones you want to delete. Stuff like that just annoyed me. I think there were quite a few people who were torn between the rezound and the nexus , initially chose the nexus, but now are rethinking that decision. Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Some say sense is the reason why they chose they nexus over the rezound. I never thought much of the way vanilla android looked and really after owning a jailbroken iPhone kind of got tired of messing with the phone. Themes, hacks, etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked doing most of it. But after a while and getting the phone where I liked it, it was like, ok, now what?

I like sense. I think it's part of what sets HTC phones apart from the crowd. Granted, with ICS, HTC is gonna have to figure out how to integrate the two. For the most part now, I just want to use my phone, as is. And sense lets me do that. I want a phone that works as a phone first. The rest will take care of itself.

I know there are lots of people who feel differently about sense. And that's fine, whatever. Thats why the nexus has such a great following.

Upvote 0
My Rezound works so well, I'm not sure I'll upgrade to ics when it comes out for us. After my dx, I've learned to wait on software upgrades if your phone is working well.

As for the Nexus, they better fix it. It's not fair that people dropped cash for a 4g phone that doesn't get 4g. I wouldn't settle for a phone with crap signal, it would be returned same day. There is no reason to deny, ignore or accept a sub par product.

Upvote 0
This is what makes the Rezound resoundingly (sorry, had to revisit that pun) better when it comes to signal sensitivity.

nw7pl.jpg

Upvote 0
My Rezound works so well, I'm not sure I'll upgrade to ics when it comes out for us. After my dx, I've learned to wait on software upgrades if your phone is working well.

As for the Nexus, they better fix it. It's not fair that people dropped cash for a 4g phone that doesn't get 4g. I wouldn't settle for a phone with crap signal, it would be returned same day. There is no reason to deny, ignore or accept a sub par product.

I have been reading the Nexus forum and that is exactly it. I don't understand how those guys can accept all the things I am reading that are wrong with that device. After shelling out that kind of money to just sit and accept it??? I had the Rezound for a few days, and the size wasn't for me, but as far as a solid device goes, it was awesome. Would you buy a car that has known braking issues and say.. ah that's OK, their working on a fix.. That's just crazzy...

Upvote 0
Some say sense is the reason why they chose they nexus over the rezound. I never thought much of the way vanilla android looked and really after owning a jailbroken iPhone kind of got tired of messing with the phone. Themes, hacks, etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked doing most of it. But after a while and getting the phone where I liked it, it was like, ok, now what?

I like sense. I think it's part of what sets HTC phones apart from the crowd. Granted, with ICS, HTC is gonna have to figure out how to integrate the two. For the most part now, I just want to use my phone, as is. And sense lets me do that. I want a phone that works as a phone first. The rest will take care of itself.

I know there are lots of people who feel differently about sense. And that's fine, whatever. Thats why the nexus has such a great following.

+1 here on that. I ran CM7 on my phone for a week before I went right back to Sense. Played around with the Nexus at Verizon and I think it is very vanilla... Me personally wouldn't even consider another phone at this point other then HTC. The only thing I don't care for on the sense 3.5 is the lock ring. I liked the lockscreen of Froyo and GB better, but that is just me.

Upvote 0
For those people considering jumping to the Rezound, I'd say you'd better decide by Friday (maybe even Saturday) of this week. Standing in line waiting to return an item after Christmas is going to be INSANE!

That being said, I'm expecting the biggest amount of converts to come after Christmas.

Why? We got till mid January to return. I got mine at Verizon anyway, it's not like standing in line at Best Buy. BTW, the Verizon store I visited yesterday said they had plenty of Rezounds in stock. And while we are making a ruckus in these forums about battery life and signal strength, etc., the average Joe Schmo, the great unwashed ;) is gonna be mostly oblivious to all this.

Upvote 0
Why? We got till mid January to return. I got mine at Verizon anyway, it's not like standing in line at Best Buy. BTW, the Verizon store I visited yesterday said they had plenty of Rezounds in stock. And while we are making a ruckus in these forums about battery life and signal strength, etc., the average Joe Schmo, the great unwashed ;) is gonna be mostly oblivious to all this.

I couldn't disagree more. Just because Joe Schmo may not be aware of these problems doesn't mean that he/she will be willing to put up with them if they arise. In fact, I think the average Joe is far less likely to put up with the types of problems the GNex has been having. Unlike those that were waiting with bated breath to buy the GNex who can overlook some glaring problems in hopes that it will be fixed with a software update, Joe Schmo will not be that forgiving. They just want a product that works well out of the box. As such, they are far more likely to return the GNex than the rezound. As some else on these boards said the other day, there are advantages to running an OS that is a year old and well tested.

Upvote 0
Well, the reason I invoked Joe Schmo and his indifference is because Verizon employees are telling me they are not getting returns of any consequential numbers. This is talking to tech support staff, B&M employess, and other phone support. Now you can say they are hiding the truth or don't know for sure or it's too early to tell. But I suspect when I go to return my Gnex on say Dec. 30 (pick a day after Xmas) I'm not gonna be waiting in line behind abuncha other Gnex people. Just remember that people are also getting the Razr, Rezound or any other number of phones. Perhaps that's what TxGoat is talking about. I could be wrong but I ain't gonna stress over lines.

Upvote 0
Well, the reason I invoked Joe Schmo and his indifference is because Verizon employees are telling me they are not getting returns of any consequential numbers. This is talking to tech support staff, B&M employess, and other phone support. Now you can say they are hiding the truth or don't know for sure or it's too early to tell. But I suspect when I go to return my Gnex on say Dec. 30 (pick a day after Xmas) I'm not gonna be waiting in line behind abuncha other Gnex people. Just remember that people are also getting the Razr, Rezound or any other number of phones. Perhaps that's what TxGoat is talking about. I could be wrong but I ain't gonna stress over lines.

Just for clarity, my comment wasn't about lines, just what I thought of Joe Schmo's opinion on the GNex. As for the lines, a little extra waiting never hurt anybody (actually, that's probably not true at all ;))

Upvote 0
Well, the reason I invoked Joe Schmo and his indifference is because Verizon employees are telling me they are not getting returns of any consequential numbers. This is talking to tech support staff, B&M employess, and other phone support. Now you can say they are hiding the truth or don't know for sure or it's too early to tell.

That's the same thing they told me when I asked that question about the Thunderbolt. I even asked the same question when I got stuck in "refurb hell" with the Thunderbolt. My question was, "Are you seeing a lot of these refurbs being rejected by the customers?" After my 2nd rejected refurb, I started asking, and 2 of the 3 Tech Support employees I spoke with told me "No we're not seeing that many refurbs returned". One tech support agent (level 2 I believe) actually did state to me that he'd seen more returned Thunderbolt refurbs than other refurbs. I also wouldn't expect a sales employee to say that they're having a lot of returns on the Nexus. The last thing I'd want to do as a sales associate is tell one customer that the Nexus is being returned at a higher rate, while trying to sell it to another customer.

Upvote 0
Just traded in my Nexus. HUGE improvement. I don't care what anyone says, the Nexus radio is weak as evidenced by MY personal experience. If it isn't for you, then you're lucky.

Pretty much, at least on a number of those devices. We all know that, to be specific, there's nothing wrong with the signal being broadcast and that we're able to receive. It seems the case that, for some reason, the Nexus just doesn't handle that broadcast signal properly once it hits the phone. All those reporting that they're having no issues, I'm happy for them. But that doesn't mean that no issue exists or that it doesn't affect a large number of people. One doesn't need to be a techie to know that not being able to access data or make/receive calls more than just occasionally when you're in a coverage area makes no sense. Even if they're not in a 4G area at all, 3G shouldn't drop off.

Reactions: JustinHEMI
Upvote 0
I had traded in my TBolt to a Rezound and I am much happier. Overall the Rezound is a good phone for me. Even during our conversation when I asked the sales rep about the Nexus, he said I would be pleased w/ this phone and not regret my decision. I also played w/ the Nexus in the store and wasn't too impressed. I didn't see what it could offer me that would give me a "wow" experience. Sure it has ICS but what else? Rezound will be getting ICS early next year so I'm not in any rush, HTC Sense doesn't bother me. Maybe I didn't give it that much time to say whether or not the Nexus is truly a better phone but for an hour after playing w/ the Nexus and comparing the 2 phones I decided to stick w/ my gut feelings and went w/ the Rezound.

Upvote 0
The picture of the inside back cover that TXGoat posted a dozen messages above is something that all engineers, tech people (ok... also high-tech toy/gadget fans and smartphone lovers) must see and... be delighted and thrilled!!

Those antennas in the Rezound was designed by an experienced and skilled RF engineer. The shape, length followed by a different adjoining rectangle shape of a certain size/dimension are following specific antenna design rules for different wavelengths/frequencies and gain (it is not some ugly/random patches of copper even though it looks that way ha ha!!) All this makes the Rezound fall into the "awesome antenna design" category (not kidding). This is why the signals (not just the 4G but wi-fi/etc signals) all are super with the Rezound. Bye

Upvote 0
The picture of the inside back cover that TXGoat posted a dozen messages above is something that all engineers, tech people (ok... also high-tech toy/gadget fans and smartphone lovers) must see and... be delighted and thrilled!!

Those antennas in the Rezound was designed by an experienced and skilled RF engineer. The shape, length followed by a different adjoining rectangle shape of a certain size/dimension are following specific antenna design rules for different wavelengths/frequencies and gain (it is not some ugly/random patches of copper even though it looks that way ha ha!!) All this makes the Rezound fall into the "awesome antenna design" category (not kidding). This is why the signals (not just the 4G but wi-fi/etc signals) all are super with the Rezound. Bye

It's definitely a case of "controlled chaos" when it comes to the plating on the back cover. The logic behind me posting that image is because I hear from a bunch of Nexus fans that are desperately trying to hold out hope that their wait was not in vein waiting for the OTA update to help their sacred little phone along. NO OTA update will fix a receiver that doesn't have the hardware necessary to pull in a signal.

If I may provide an analogy.... It's like Tim Tebow (We'll call that Verizon's 4G network although Verizon has better stats of course) on a football team where the main wide receiver is a T-Rex (The Samsung Nexus --I'm sure Tebow might not believe they ever existed but humor me here). The coach can outfit the T-rex with a brightly colored jersey (OTA update) so Tebow can better spot him, but with Tebow throwing the ball all over the place and not very accurate, the T-Rex still has those small receiver arms and won't be able to make a reception (or will make one and will drop the pass or go into 1X mode). Below is an illustration that demonstrates (Ok it doesn't really demonstrate) what I mean....

snin52l.jpg

Upvote 0
It's definitely a case of "controlled chaos" when it comes to the plating on the back cover. The logic behind me posting that image is because I hear from a bunch of Nexus fans that are desperately trying to hold out hope that their wait was not in vein waiting for the OTA update to help their sacred little phone along. NO OTA update will fix a receiver that doesn't have the hardware necessary to pull in a signal.

If I may provide an analogy.... It's like Tim Tebow (We'll call that Verizon's 4G network although Verizon has better stats of course) on a football team where the main wide receiver is a T-Rex (The Samsung Nexus --I'm sure Tebow might not believe they ever existed but humor me here). The coach can outfit the T-rex with a brightly colored jersey (OTA update) so Tebow can better spot him, but with Tebow throwing the ball all over the place and not very accurate, the T-Rex still has those small receiver arms and won't be able to make a reception (or will make one and will drop the pass or go into 1X mode). Below is an illustration that demonstrates (Ok it doesn't really demonstrate) what I mean....

snin52l.jpg

LOL. That is some funny stuff.

Upvote 0
Just traded in my Nexus. HUGE improvement. I don't care what anyone says, the Nexus radio is weak as evidenced by MY personal experience. If it isn't for you, then you're lucky.

Agreed to all who are in the Real World and admit that the Nexus is a miserable failed experiment in manufacturing . I tried it for 2 weeks and got he run around from verizon, samsung, and google. Oh 4.03? They are going to FIX THE DISPLAY SO IT MORE MATCHES THE OTHER PHONES WHICH DO WORK,??? uh ?,Seems that the powers to be think we all suffer form buyers remorse .I suffer form no connection, low volume, low signal, 3-4 hour battery life., GPS lack to lock on among other issues..KEEP the Gnex I'm sure it will be fixed SOMEDAY, but it WILL be AFTER they admit there is a problem.
I'm going back to my trusty OLD Droid x which works perfectly well in the very exact spot that I couldn't so much as make a phone call with the GNEX much less send a text or use my phone browser reliably.Terrible terrible device what a shame to waste such nice hardware. Google OF MY WISH LIST, they are forever GONE in my hardware list, forever.
i mean it took US a few days to rate these devices as total losses , but verizon, google , and samsung all refuse admit the simplest of faults..really..REally.we are --------- fill in the blanks because apparently you believe we are BLANK !!.

Thanks guys, I am SIEN ??!!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Ooooooookay, let's have some perspective here. The Nexus is not a failure. It's a phone with some significant flaws that affect some fraction of users. Other happy owners report no problems at all (I've loved its display on the models I've tried), and it remains to be seen how much the phone will be improved w/future software updates.

I hope you'll find another phone you like as much as your DX!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I havent posted in this thread yet?

I also had G Nex, got it on 1-5. Started out fine with some things. As the return date got close....the things it did fine went bad.

One thing it was never good at was 4G data reception in weaker areas. the 4.0.3 radios did help 3G, but thats it. And phone reception was surprising, until it got closer to the return date. As that started getting worse, I just said forget it, the experiment is done. Made my decision easier.

I have a Rezound now since 1-14, I had a RAZR since 11-11. Between those 2 phones...IMO its a harder choice than between any of those 2 and the G Nex for my wants n needs. It took 2 days to be happy with the Rezound, something I couldnt do in 2 weeks with the G Nex.

For rooting and running custom ROMs, the G Nex is king. Build quality was nice. Screen was nice. Speaker was ok...ICS is nice. After that....

Its all about wants n needs.

Upvote 0
Yup rezound is a better phone. I keep saying this.

While the GN was really cool, it didn't function well as a phone where I needed it to. I had NO signal at all at work yesterday. Today I had 2-3 bars on my Rezound! Also, I haven't had any dropped calls with the Rezound. I wouldn't have returned it if I hadn't had signal problems, but I did and I must say the Rezound is a better choice for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones