• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I forgot the Privacy Protection Password!!!

P

perrygogas

I Ijust put a second SIM to my phone and on reboot I got this message:

"Please enter the Privacy Protection Password to unlock"

From my search I realized I must have set such a password in settings but I do not remember doing it neither the password itself! my phone is locked and I connot used it anymore!!!

Please help!!!

Try taking the second sim out and rebooting. If it's a phone based password, then with single sim phones, if you type it too many times incorrectly, it locks you out and you must enter the Google account password to get back in. Mind you, you must have access to WiFi or mobile data, or you'll need to factory reset the device.

I took out the card. The problem is the anti-theft password and as I read from others even with a factory rest the problem remains...

Upvote 0
China phone. If you can't see anyway of resetting it. Does it not have a recovery, try holding down power and volume-down simultaneously for about 5 seconds. You might have to contact Jiayu and see what they say. Their phone number.
+86 755-85218535

Website (Chinese)
http://www.ejiayu.com/

Where did you buy this phone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, here's what I found out. The Privacy Protection Password is set when you turn your phone on for the first time and is needed if the sim was ever changed so if someone got your phone without your permission, they couldn't use a new sim without it. Of course you knew this already and you must have set the password because I couldn't find anything about a default password like '0000' or '1234'. In any case, even a factory reset won't fix this as it is written to the system folder.

The solutions I found are very limited. One is to reflash the factory firmware. I have found a few supposed links to stock rom's but frankly I'm not satisfied they are legit and I wouldn't want to cause any further problems for you.

There was one post on xda that had a tool to bypass this, but it required the phone be put into debugging mode and without access you won't be able to. Besides, from what I read a lot of people were not having much success getting it to work.

Personally, I think it best to follow Mike's advice and contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can provide the firmware for you to flash along with instructions.

Sorry, :( wish I had something more for you.

Upvote 0
Okay, here's what I found out. The Privacy Protection Password is set when you turn your phone on for the first time and is needed if the sim was ever changed so if someone got your phone without your permission, they couldn't use a new sim without it. Of course you knew this already and you must have set the password because I couldn't find anything about a default password like '0000' or '1234'. In any case, even a factory reset won't fix this as it is written to the system folder.

The solutions I found are very limited. One is to reflash the factory firmware. I have found a few supposed links to stock rom's but frankly I'm not satisfied they are legit and I wouldn't want to cause any further problems for you.

There was one post on xda that had a tool to bypass this, but it required the phone be put into debugging mode and without access you won't be able to. Besides, from what I read a lot of people were not having much success getting it to work.

Personally, I think it best to follow Mike's advice and contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can provide the firmware for you to flash along with instructions.

Sorry, :( wish I had something more for you.

Thank you so much for all the effort you put in my problem!!! I got the ROm from the manufacturer. Now I have to flash the ROM but I am not sure how to do this. Basically I go tthe flash tool but will the phone connect when it is locked?

Upvote 0
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
No IMEI, that could be a baseband problem. There are two different ROMs listed for the S3. One is a "3+16" other is a "2+16", so there's probably two different versions of this phone. Sounds like the amount of RAM is different on each one. And if you flashed the wrong ROM that might explain it. This is all guesswork of course.

Reactions: perrygogas
Upvote 0
No IMEI, that could be a baseband problem. There are two different ROMs listed for the S3. One is a "3+16" other is a "2+16", so there's probably two different versions of this phone. Sounds like the amount of RAM is different on each one. And if you flashed the wrong ROM that might explain it. This is all guesswork of course.

Thank you so much for everything. I found the IMEI and I used these instructions on how to insert it again:

To restore your IMEI number on a chinese phone its simple:
1. make sure you have root access. if you dont know how. in the jiayu s3 settings tab select security then turn on superuser walla u just rooted your device! now lets fix you imei
2. download an app called MTK Engineering Mode its found in the playstore. download and install this app
3. Open the app and select MTK Settings. Then on the connectivity Tab select CDS Information
4. Select Radio Information
5. Phone 1
you will see AT+
erase the "+" it shoud look like this "AT"
add a new Plus sign to the AT something should pop up. Select the first one AT+EGMR=1,7,"". enter your phones imei number between those 2 quotation marks. (Your IMEI should be located on the box the phone came with or when you remove the battery.) it should look like this. AT+EGMR=1,7,"1234567891012345" now hit SEND AT COMMAND. notice you got an error. "This command is not allowed userbuild blah blah". thats because we forgot to add space between the AT and the + so this is what it should look like. Before AT+EGMR=1,7,"1234567891012345" AFTER AT +EGMR=1,7,"1234567891012345" . now all you gotta do is reboot the type *#06# and you should see your imei.

Make sure to follow all the steps or u will continue to get errors
This fixed my problem with the IMEI for SIM 1 but I cannot get a connection to the network from SIM 2... what can I do? should I do the above using "Phone 2" as well?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I don't know about SIM 2, apart from that there should be two IMEIs, one for each SIM. But frankly you now know much more about this phone than probably anyone else on this forum. :thumbsupdroid: ....you could try the above again for "phone 2", see what happens.

I took a guess about a wrong ROM, because that can happen with some Oppo phones, where there's differing versions, flash an incorrect ROM and the baseband has problems, like losing IMEI.

I do find it interesting that you were able to reprogram the IMEI on a Mediatek device, just by using an app from Play Store. Usually you can't do things like that, as the IMEI is usually burned into the chip-set AFAIK, and reprogramming/changing IMEIs is a criminal offence in many countries and jurisdictions. You were only reprogramming your own IMEI, and NOT changing or cloning it, which is OK. The wonders of China phones.... LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know about SIM 2, apart from that there should be two IMEIs, one for each SIM. But frankly you now know much more about this phone than probably anyone else on this forum. :thumbsupdroid: ....you could try the above again for "phone 2", see what happens.

I took a guess about a wrong ROM, because that can happen with some Oppo phones, where there's differing versions, flash an incorrect ROM and the baseband has problems, like losing IMEI.

I do find it interesting that you were able to reprogram the IMEI on a Mediatek device, just by using an app from Play Store. Usually you can't do things like that, as the IMEI is usually burned into the chip-set AFAIK, and reprogramming/changing IMEIs is a criminal offence in many countries and jurisdictions. You were only reprogramming your own IMEI, and NOT changing or cloning it, which is OK. The wonders of China phones.... LOL

Hello Mike and thanks agaian and again for the attention and help.
The IMEI identifies the phone as you say so a phone with 2 SIMS only has 1 IMEI.
I do not think I could program any IMEI on it. I just needed to find my IMEI (that I had lost)
in order to be accepted by the phone. I finally found it on the inside of the cover that the phone
came with as I now changed that to a white back cover.

The problem with inserting the IMEI with the second SIM card was solved as I had to follow the
above instructions again but instead of AT+EGMR=1,7, for SIM 2 (Phone 2) you have to use AT+EGMR=1,10,

Now the phone works fine!!!

Upvote 0
Hi. Just want to express my thanks for the #mima# solution. If you set an anti theft code, in the same antitheft settings you can see and also sent info about using these extra commands to the trusted phone. Other codes you can use is a reset code so a thief will loose all data on the phone.
My phone is now unlocked!
Kris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones