• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have proof that the Vibrant can withstand some damage!!!

I dropped mine the other day, It landed on the only part that was exposed on the leather holster,(using a spare leather holster i had laying around the house until i could find one i like) I dented the bezel or trim around the display! Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the bezel around the display (with out doing invasive surgery)? has anyone tried this? Does anyone know where i can get a replacement? Thanks for the help in advance!
Spark

Upvote 0
I applaud you Jree first and most importantly for rescuing dogs and secondly for posting up this great info about the Vibrant.

We too are dog lovers and our "puppy" a 230 lb 18 month old English Mastiff (Kahless The Unforgettable - named after a Klingon) loves to chew. Your post has served as a wonderful reminder for me to keep the Vibrant out of his reach. Not easily done since he is 35" at the shoulders and his tail regularly sweeps my desktop. He's quite the counter surfer too. We have to keep all fruit, vegetables and other attractive items out of his reach. Our other 2 Mastiffs have outgrown these tendencies.

IMG_3408a.jpg

Thanks for the reminder! And again, thanks for rescuing dogs! And I agree with you about the screen protector. Nice analogy BTW.

Ahh, another big dog lover, fantastic! My wife and I adopted a 1.5 year old dane/st. bernard/lab mix from a very young couple who got pregnant and had to move back to the midwest. They kept him in their one bedroom third story appartment without much exercise and no tranining besides "Sit" and "Lay Down". The animal shelter told them as a 6 week old puppy that it was a lab/beagle mix. He's now 2 years and 2 months, 190lbs, trained great (though he still likes to jump up sometimes to strangers and lick 'em on the cheek...we've trained him out of most of that) and is starting to fill out width wise (he's pretty much done with height). It's kind of sad, when we got him he was affraid of the hose and of broom sticks (he would walk away with his tail between his legs whenever we grabbed either). He's great now though, and thinks he's a tiny dog since he loves to try to curl up on top of us :)

P.s., I would HATE for him to chew on my Vibrant...he goes through Bully sticks in less than 10 minutes for the entire thing. He even puts holes in the black, extra strong Kong toys.

First pic is at his favorite spot when we're watching TV...right in front of us. Second is him cuddling with my pregnant wife (we don't let him on the bed anymore, since his claws put a big rip in the sheets that I had to sew up), and third is this morning to show his arm length (I tried to get him standing up, but we've trained him to sit when we say "stay", so he doesn't know "stay there but stand while I take a photo, Jasper..." yet.

Attachments

• Jasper1.jpg
    Jasper1.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Jasper2.jpg
    Jasper2.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Jasper3.jpg
    Jasper3.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Awesome Justin! I love to hear rescue stories, what a great life he has now! Cool name, Jasper... I can see in his eyes that he is a special boy and he is a handsome dog too. Is that the Vibrant you are shooting his photo with in the third photo?

I know exactly what you mean about these big guys thinking they can lay on top of you. It can hurt sometimes LOL.

We have 3 Mastiffs, our oldest is Samson, who we picked up at 8 weeks old used to cower whenever I would take my belt off or whenever my wife would use a fly swatter. Of course, he was never, ever struck either before or after we got him, but for some reason he was afraid of these two items. I know what you mean about item specific reactions to certain objects.

I would be afraid that Kahless might try to swallow my Vibrant if he ever got a hold of it. He has a big mouth as you can see in the photo below, taken yesterday, of him carrying the Sunday L.A Times. That is the first time he tried carrying the Sunday paper. Clearly he has a big mouth with big teeth and would make short work of a Vibrant or Harmony remote if he was so inclined. Thankfully he has been a good puppy and never chewed any electronics. He has however cleared my desk with his tail, he stands 35" at the shoulders. This is the main reason I went with a silicone gel case for the Vibrant - I need some shock absorption.

The second photo below was taken with the Vibrant at the park where Kahless made friends with 2, 3 year old boxer girls and their owner. This will give you a better idea of his size - keep in mind he will continue filling out for 18 more months. He had lots of fun with the girls.

The third photo is Kahless with a family friend, Joy - 17 years old. She clearly is not too comfortable with the idea that he thinks he's a lap dog.

Attachments

• KAHLESS-SUNDAY-PAPER.jpg
    KAHLESS-SUNDAY-PAPER.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2010-09-04-09.57.47a.jpg
    2010-09-04-09.57.47a.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 42
  • KAHLESS & JOY.jpg
    KAHLESS & JOY.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Hey Justin, I just showed my wife your post about Jasper and you made her day! (mine too - but earlier) She loves to hear happy rescue stories... You've done a magnificent thing in giving Jasper a good home. Nikki loves his face too, she says he looks like a GIANT beagle... lol. You must get a lot of compliments.

Thanks for the photos and the heartwarming background info.

Robin

Upvote 0
Hey Justin, I just showed my wife your post about Jasper and you made her day! (mine too - but earlier) She loves to hear happy rescue stories... You've done a magnificent thing in giving Jasper a good home. Nikki loves his face too, she says he looks like a GIANT beagle... lol. You must get a lot of compliments.

Thanks for the photos and the heartwarming background info.

Robin

Hey Robin, thanks, and yes we get compliments anytime we go out. At Fiesta Island (huge off-leash dog area about 2 miles in circumfrance in Mission Bay, San Diego, with water surrounding all but one part) people love seeing him. On the boardwalk, surfers wish they had him. He's a great dog! And yes, that third photo was with the Vibrant :) Samson and Kahless sound like great dogs too! That was Jasper's name (sampson)when we adopted him. Unfortunately, our next door neighbor (who's ranked in the low 30's for world heavyweight boxing) had left his Kane Corso with a friend when he went off to a fight (looked very much like Kahless, just smaller), and the friend "lost" him. He was about 18 weeks old, half the size of Jasper, and the most playfull giant I've ever seen. Haven't found him since (1.5 months have passed). He's a real expensive dog (the friend had money issues too...not sure if that plays into it or not), so I presume somebody kept him. Sad story :(

Anyway, good to see another big dog lover. I couldn't deal with a small lap dog, they don't wrestle very well :p

Upvote 0
Great story about the dog! My Vibrant has been tested at well. The very first day I bought it, I dropped it face first on concrete with no case. Not a single scratch on the screen! I love it. With past phones I was scared to even let my fingernail touch the screen, now I don't have to worry about that.

Upvote 0
I have been saying this exact same thing here to people buying screen protectors, Waste of money, Go naked and enjoy the pure beauty of the screen.

So your saying that I should not by anymore screen protectors after I use these 2 up? I mean because I have been thinking the screen protector reduces the image quality a little(but not sure if it does.) Also if I don't use a screen protector what about fingerprints?

Upvote 0
So your saying that I should not by anymore screen protectors after I use these 2 up? I mean because I have been thinking the screen protector reduces the image quality a little(but not sure if it does.) Also if I don't use a screen protector what about fingerprints?

Finger prints depends on how oily your skin is, so your results may vary. As far as the screen protector goes, I've always been a huge advocate for them, but I never put one on my or my wife's Vibrant. I'm that confident in the Gorilla glass.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones