• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I just want to use CWM recovery!

crosspatch

Mar 17, 2012
My Photon runs Android 2.3.4 and has build number 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6 (from what I gather, those are the two most important bits of info). It's rooted, but locked.

Some time ago, I tried getting CWM recovery up and running using ROM Manager. I did select the "Motorola Photon 4G" entry in ROM Manager, of course, and the app did report a successful installation. However, when I tried getting into CWM recovery (from ROM Manager), I got:

Failed to boot 2
Starting RSD mode

Now, the app didn't warn me that it could not install CWM because I was locked (quite the contrary; as I mentioned, it reported success afterward). And I've found references that say I don't need to be unlocked to install and use CWM recovery. Other sources say I do need to be unlocked. I feel like this is in idiotic question, but... Do I need to unlock before installing CWM? If not, why would I get that error?

The second question assumes that I do need to unlock. I don't feel like waiting another eon for Motorola to release an official method for unlocking (though they'll probably do so 15 minutes after I do it through other means). What does flashing derpunlock.sbf actually do? My real question is Can I unlock without losing any data? I'm not lazy. I've searched and read to the point of anger. Some people say that unlocking necessitates data loss; others say just the opposite. I'm confused.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones