• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I love my Nexus 4

lee_arlva

Nov 13, 2012
My Nexus 4 arrived Tuesday and I signed up for the T-Mobile $30/month plan. I'm not a phone geek (LOL) and I've only had a smartphone since June. At the time, I was debating between the Galaxy Nexus and Virgin Mobile's Evo V 4G. Unfortunately, in part because I couldn't get clear answers from T-Mobile on various issues, I went with Virgin Mobile. Big mistake. I live in the Washington DC area and Virgin Mobile allegedly provides strong 4G (Wimax) in the area. I had endless frustration -- part of it was the phone (which Virgin Mobile replaced once but continued to have lots of issues. It constantly would disconnect me from 4G, 3G and even my wifi network), but part of it was the network. I couldn't get much if any service in my office in downtown DC, even next to a window. Etc.

The Galaxy Nexus is so smooth, so fast (more than double the network speeds I was getting with Virgin Mobile). Everything I imagined a smartphone would be -- but wasn't getting with Virgin Mobile. Cell service is a bit iffy on my street (we live in a bit of a dead zone) but that's always been the case, even when I had a Verizon feature phone.

Camera is still taking getting used to but the picture quality is far better than the 5 megapixel camera I had on my Virgin Mobile phone.

Data speeds with HSPA+42 seem perfectly fine. I know there's a lot of complaining about the lack of LTE but I haven't had significant issues. Pages generally load fast.

Final test before I shut off my Virgin Mobile service and transfer my number will be at work on Monday -- I'm curious to see if it'll work better than my VM phone.

This phone was worth the aggravation with Google. Very happy with its features and the fact it's unlocked, which will enable me to use the phone on various local networks when I travel internationally.

Glad to hear you love it :) i'm sure i'll love mine to when it gets here also on virgin mobile but grandaddy plan 25$ a month with motorola triumph only reason i could last on that phone for so long because of the devs and root lolz this will be a huge step up with network and phone t-mobile i hear is good in the metro detroit area can't wait virgin mobile/sprint network data wise is slow :-\ but for the price i couldn't pass it by lolz now giving to my parents hopefully they'll fix camera for cm9 in it and it will be a better phone then it is now lolz cm7

Upvote 0
I'm the original poster. One of the big reasons for getting the Nexus 4 and switching to T-Mobile was because my VM HTC Evo V 4G barely functioned in my office in Washington DC. Got into work today and ran a side by side speed test. I got 6.25 mbs download speed on my Nexus 4 using T-Mobile service and only 0.07 mbs (that's not a typo!) download speeds on the Virgin Mobile phone. In the DC area, I've gotten download speeds as high as 19 mbs and the lowest has been about 5 mbs.

Although Virgin Mobile touts the 4G capabilities of the HTC Evo V 4G, it has rarely worked and I routinely cannot get a 4G signal. Now T-Mobile's coverage is not necessarily perfect - we were on the eastern shore of Maryland during Thanksgiving and there, T-Mobile has only 2X Edge service, while I had a good 3G signal on Virgin Mobile. However, I had wifi access most of the time and it didn't matter.

Bottom line -- I love my Nexus 4 and am so happy to be ditching Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones