• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need help/advice with new P40 and google

Craig mk3

Lurker
Feb 7, 2021
Hello, not sure if anyone will see this, but this is where my research leads, me....I have just opted for the Huawei P40 switching from Iphone, Im realising just how restricted i am, i cannot install banking, nor can i view chat in Youtube livestreams or get notifications from youtube... Is there any way i can circumvent this stupid ban? I see lots of articles on installing google play onto the P40 Pro but not the P40. If this is because you cant on the P40 can someone tell me why, or offer me any advice about where to start, where to find help, forums etc that will help me get the most out of the device. thank you

Can you post a link to one of the P40 Pro recipes (text, not YouTube - I can't speak for others, but I personally won't watch a 6 minute video to get information I can read in 20 seconds or skim in 5)?

The obvious answer is "have you tried the P40 Pro recipe", but I don't want to say that without knowing what is involved, because if it requires modifying the sytem software (root, custom recovery, etc) then you do not want to use a recipe written for a different device. Mind you, if it involves root then banking could be a problem anyway (bank apps generally don't like rooted devices, for understandable reasons as an app with root privileges could access the bank app's dataa).

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Hello, not sure if anyone will see this, but this is where my research leads, me....I have just opted for the Huawei P40 switching from Iphone, Im realising just how restricted i am, i cannot install banking, nor can i view chat in Youtube livestreams or get notifications from youtube... Is there any way i can circumvent this stupid ban? I see lots of articles on installing google play onto the P40 Pro but not the P40. If this is because you cant on the P40 can someone tell me why, or offer me any advice about where to start, where to find help, forums etc that will help me get the most out of the device. thank you

Maybe the Pro version of the phone is more popular, and that's probably what the peeps who wrote the articles had? Have you actually tried the methods described in these articles?

Because installing GMS(Google Mobile Services, i.e. GAPPS) on a Huawei device involves the same files and methods, as long as it's on the current version of EMUI. It doesn't require rooting and modifying the device, and the worse thing that can happen if you screw-up, is you have to factory reset the phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you post a link to one of the P40 Pro recipes (text, not YouTube - I can't speak for others, but I personally won't watch a 6 minute video to get information I can read in 20 seconds or skim in 5)?

The obvious answer is "have you tried the P40 Pro recipe", but I don't want to say that without knowing what is involved, because if it requires modifying the sytem software (root, custom recovery, etc) then you do not want to use a recipe written for a different device. Mind you, if it involves root then banking could be a problem anyway (bank apps generally don't like rooted devices, for understandable reasons as an app with root privileges could access the bank app's dataa).

Hey thanks, here is a typical link, even the search comes up automatically P40 pro, but here is a typical
, and yes i have found a "Recipe" as you call it :) it involves attaching a USB drive, and following a number of steps, i have an adapter coming from Prime in the morning and i will try it. I will let you know if it works. !!

Upvote 0
Hey thanks, here is a typical link, even the search comes up automatically P40 pro, but here is a typical
, and yes i have found a "Recipe" as you call it :) it involves attaching a USB drive, and following a number of steps, i have an adapter coming from Prime in the morning and i will try it. I will let you know if it works. !!
Sorry you said no youtube! here is the recipe i am trying in the morning.https://phandroid.com/2020/07/20/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-the-huawei-p40/

Upvote 0
Maybe the Pro version of the phone is more popular, and that's probably what the peeps who wrote the articles had? Have you actually tried the methods described in these articles?

Because installing GMS(Google Mobile Services, i.e. GAPPS) on a Huawei device involves the same files and methods, as long as it's on the current version of EMUI. It doesn't require rooting and modifying the device, and the worse thing that can happen if you screw-up, is you have to factory reset the phone.
Awesome, i have minimum understanding of rooting although i have tried it in the past, i never really got my head round it, I have an adapter coming tomorrow i am going to try and do this https://phandroid.com/2020/07/20/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-the-huawei-p40/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones