• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want my phone to be faster

Just don't use Rom Manager okay? Find the Optimus Elite CWM FAQ to install it. And after that head to Giantpunes custom kernel thread and download the respective kernel. Make sure it's the most updated ones tho. Should be 10-26 or 10-28 I believe. Make sure you get the right one as well, if you have Sprint or VM make sure to only install the same one as your carrier. After you flash that kernel in your SD Card you are now overclocked to 1.6ghz which is insanely fast. Open up Rom Toolbox and find the CPU Thingy. (Idk what its called.) And set the "Governor" to SmartassV2 for the best performance, and make it Set On Boot. Your phone should then be faster. :] Also, before installing the Kernel, be sure to use CWM to make a backup before doing any of that. Any questions? I'm goin to bed but I'll answer them in about 7-9 hours from now.

Upvote 0
Root and flash giantpune's custom kernel after your rom of choice. The roms have cwm recovery...don't try to install it through Rom Manager. To overclock you need a kernel that supports it. Giantpune's does and by default sets the max to 1.6. Then just use one of the cpu control apps rather than a multipurpose app that has more potential to brick your phone. Read up on the different govenors as you want to find the best option for you in terms of battery life and speed. Some apps let you set up profiles so you can have it switch to a different govenor when your battery is getting low or the screen is off.

You can also try the V6 supercharger script with the smanager app to tweak some other things that can speed up the oe. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991276 Just don't enable integration into init.rc when it asks if you want to. It warns that in rare instances it can affect root access and this was the case for me. I had to reflash in order to fix root. Otherwise I love the script.

Upvote 0
Could I do this st8 from my phone or do it from a computer?

In order to not be persuasive, yet answer your question....Yes, you can do all of this from the phone and certain programs have been created specifically for this by namely GiantPune. Its not any more difficult IMO to do it from the phone than the computer. Just depends upon what you find convenient.

Upvote 0
I'll basically echo what everyone else has said, but here's the ideal settings for greatest performance (no noticeable lag and yet supreme battery life) for your CPU on a (preferably free) CPU Tuner app. Note that this is AFTER installing giantpune's custom kernel appropriate, and most up to date, for your version of the Optimus Elite:

Min: 245 MHz
Max: 1612 MHz
Governor: smartassV2

Now, as for the rest of speediness, any custom ROM will do - Aeneas, Chaos, Project Mayhem, Harmonia, ICS Optimus Elite Aeneas Build all will yield to you improved speed over the stock/vanilla/came-with-the-phone/pre-installed ROM. While Tagged and Sleipnir are reportedly the two fastest/most efficient for the Optimus Elite. After installing CWM, and giantpune's kernel (note that it is installed by default in Tagged and Sleipnir), feel free (and it is highly recommended) to install one of the many custom ROMs available. And enjoy your reborn OE while you're at it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones