• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help i was king of annoyed by the battery life on the evo...

don't touch the htc mail app. just use the gmail app. you don't need to mess with the settings... you get the emails teh second they're sent to you ('

thanks ill try that

it would have been nice if everyone would have gave me some hints instead of talking about lambos and ford dealerships

Well, it would have been nice too if someone had bothered to read the hundreds of tips people have already taken the time to post.

Upvote 0
Go through all of your apps which use data connections and make sure you tweak the settings.

I've got several full page widgets running, live wallpaper, but have tweaked all of my settings including FB, twitter, Friends Stream, Google Talk, 6 email accounts, weather widget, etc... I'm able to squeeze about 18 hours or uptime and still have 25% of battery life under moderate usage of texting/internet/app downloads/phone calls/running apps.

Since then, I've done more tweeking... I imagine it could go to 24 hours now with no problem.

Bottom line: don't just download something and let it run hog wild and do whatever it wants to.

Upvote 0
thanks ill try that

it would have been nice if everyone would have gave me some hints instead of talking about lambos and ford dealerships
bob, Sorry folks are jumping down your throat. My friend got his phone on day one and had horrendous battery life. He returned the phone and his new one is awesome. But remember awesome is a subjective term. I am a light user and my phone has been unplugged for over 34 hours and is at 43% . Also, this battery gets better over time. Some of that is due to how much one plays with it in the beginning and some not. I understand your frustration. There may not be a solution you can live with. Hope there is.

Upvote 0
if youre so bothered by battery cmplaints. Why even open this thread? I dont get that. Its like people just want to be jerks. Let the man complain about his battery all he likes and u can continue reading threads that dont upset u.

battery life sucks and thats just the way it is. If u use lots of stuff theres no way around it. Its the trade off with these phones.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
thanks ill try that

There is dozens of threads on this subject, if you where even bothered with hints, you could try to read them. You know the sticky thread that says " Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly"

But no, you have to start your own thread, after dozens have done so. Which means only 1 thing, you want to complain. If you where remotely interested in in solving your problem, you would post in the official battery thread.

So give me a break. IF you want to just complain, then expect to complain. IF you are looking for ways to fix the problem, go to the official thread on the problem.

But you don't, do you? You only want to have your own little thread complaining about something that has been drilled into the ground.

You bought the gas guzzling car and expect it to behave like the small sub compact car. It is just not going to happen.

Upvote 0
I think your hints are in those threads.

This made me LMAO! Either way to the OP I understand your frustration but from what I've seen alot has to do with how you have everything set up. There are several apps that will drain the battery if you have them updated everyfew minutes. I for one set my stuff to update at the last possible minute and if I want to check them early I just refresh them. Everyones different but just like a reply from another person almost all of us knew we would have to tweek the phone to our taste due to the amount of battery it will use. Right now I got 18h 22m 18s since I unplugged my phone with 50% left on my battery. Just keep at it and you'll get it tweeked out.

Upvote 0
I agree, I think his concern is a valid one. Everyone had that buzzkill moment when they had to start turning of radios to get some better battery life. However a search would have answered a lot of the OP's questions.

What I'm finding though is that if you really take the phone down to bare bones, you can start adding stuff back and not hurt yourself too bad. I've said this before but I have like 13 widgets, 2 of which are full screen (email, calendar) 3 half screens (htc clock/weather, movie finder, People) along with a lot of others and can still get 24 hours on the battery with significant usage.

Upvote 0
I agree, I think his concern is a valid one. Everyone had that buzzkill moment when they had to start turning of radios to get some better battery life. However a search would have answered a lot of the OP's questions.

I agree there is a buzzkill there when you have to turn these things off but if your not using them then why have them on? We don't leave our car on when were not driving it just doesn't work that way. I hope the OP does find a solution to his battery issues because this is one of the best phones on the market with so many things you can do with it.

Upvote 0
Really, you called cs to complain about the battery?

Do you call Lamborghini to complain that your Murcielago only get 11 mpg, and only 5mpg if you floor it everywhere.

You dont walk onto a ford dealership and scream "why did not you think of the gas milage when you built the Ford Excursion!!!" Why, over looking the fact that a family of 10 can live permanently in the car with no major problems.

Some people, you just cant reach.

Why in the world would you buy any super phone and expect anything but bad battery life?

Why?

THE PHONE IS A POWER GUZZLING SUPER MACHINE. it is going to have really bad battery life, and more so when you floor it everywhere.

I agree with your points, but in my review of the phone, it didn't say ANYWHERE that it was like flooring a sports car. It didn't say you would be able to STORE many widgets, and INSTALL many apps, but you will have to only use 1, and make sure your wireless phone is plugged in at all times. I had the idea to have a different clock on each home screen, because it looks cool when flipping through the screens, but that alone AFTER killing my weather widget, and FB widget all together is too much to allow my battery to last through 1 8 hour workday. Maybe I'm guilty of not knowing enough about "superphones", but it's not like anyone was trying to tell me before I bought it either.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm guilty of not knowing enough about "superphones", but it's not like anyone was trying to tell me before I bought it either.

That is why we have a 30 day return period. It was clear from the start, the phone with the most features and hardware, would suck the most battery life. That part is just common sense. But what we are suffering from is stupidty by sprint. HTC threw everything and the kitchen sink at the EVO. Sprint went right behind them and loaded everything else in the neighbors house on to. They did not bother to do basic performance tests, and just started to randomly crippling things until they thought they did to much, then shipped the phone. Lets face facts, if the phone came with zero items on it, no mp3, no camera app, no qik, none of that. And the consumer was allowed to select what they want to install, battery life would be manageable. But we are not. The only way I get about 8 hours of battery life, with heavy use, is to use advance task manager. Because every time you do a search, the mp3 store fires up to see if you are searching for illegal music. That right there takes battery. Every time you connect to the internet, a thousand and one programs thinks it has a right to ping all the data servers, to see if there is anything they need. It is just bad software management, not by android os itself, but by htc and sprint for all the programs the forcibly installed. So you have three options, you can live with it, you can install task killer or you can return the phone. But to think that sprint is going to fix this problem is just fallacy. To fix it, you would have to allow people to remove apps permanently from the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones