• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ice Cream Sandwich available through Kies

You know, I vaguely remember an Apple iPhone "update" that took some 6 hours to load. I forget which version of the system it was, but that was a bit tense, not to mention frustrating. So this one is a bit temperamental, from what I'm reading. If the official update had bricked my phone, I'd be spitting nails.

Upvote 0
Updated both phones last night. Each one took about 20 minutes.

Other than the look and feel, it doesn't seem all that dramatic although I'm not the gear head I used to be so I haven't dug into it much. Some things seem to be smoother, however.

My only complaint, really is that it moved all my custom menu items around and I had to recreate all of them. I'm sure I could have restored something from my backup but it wasn't all that dramatic.

Some apps had updates to them. Again, no biggie.

Seems like it's quite all right.

--Wag--

Upvote 0
That works great! I just rooted for the first time using that! Thanks! I am now backing up my original rom. Thanks again!

Can you tell me what are the benefits of rooting your phone, and how you are backing up your ROM?

Sorry for stupid question. I imagine removing all of the AT&T bloatware would be a benefit, but I sort of ignore these and get on with my life. So I'm curious as to benefits?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
well the first benefit is you can flash a new rom. haven't done this yet, but should be cool. with the kernel I flashed to you can dual boot. you can back up your entire phone onto your sd card using clockwork mod (that's how I backed up my rom). you can backup and restore your apps via titianium. I am sure there are plenty of other reasons if anyone wants to chime in...

Upvote 0
I upgraded my s2 to ICS and im using the apex launcher now. Is anyone here using this laucher? cause I am having trouble capturing the screen, home+power doesn't work anymore. I don't know if this has to do with the ICS or the apex launcher, as the screen capture command may be different.

Also, I find that it takes longer time to show the lock screen when I press the power key when my phone is idle, as in it takes more time for the lock screen to show up. Anyone having this problem?

Upvote 0
After loading updated kies and then ICS my phone worked fine with the exception of my google search and web won't work. Sounds like some smart folks out here...do any of you have an idea how to fix this problem. I can go to u-tube or use other programs that use internet as in g-mail but I get a white screen and it flips back to my home screen after about 8 seconds when I tap browser. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Upvote 0
well the first benefit is you can flash a new rom. haven't done this yet, but should be cool. with the kernel I flashed to you can dual boot. you can back up your entire phone onto your sd card using clockwork mod (that's how I backed up my rom). you can backup and restore your apps via titianium. I am sure there are plenty of other reasons if anyone wants to chime in...

First of all, thank you for your response. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I don't understand what you're saying. What is the advantage of flashing a new "rom"? (just what is that?). I can understand how backing up the phone onto my sd card would be a tremendous boon, but as for the rest, you lost me.

I am not a total luddite - I really can use my phone to do everything I need - very fast. But the whole flashing/rooting/etc. escapes me.

Upvote 0
First of all, thank you for your response. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I don't understand what you're saying. What is the advantage of flashing a new "rom"? (just what is that?). I can understand how backing up the phone onto my sd card would be a tremendous boon, but as for the rest, you lost me.

I am not a total luddite - I really can use my phone to do everything I need - very fast. But the whole flashing/rooting/etc. escapes me.

A rom and the kernel together are like the OS in your computer. I don't pretend to understand it all, and probably am not the one to explain it all. But backing this stuff up and then reflashing it to a different rom and/or kernel will change the entire experience on the phone. And you will have to start over in terms of setting up your phone with a new rom. That's the best I can do. Sorry. Anyone else want to add to this?

Reactions: FlyingPigL
Upvote 0
FYI I used Odin to unbrick / flash my phone.

http://www.ponack.net/designgears/b...OneClick_943bb6cb1d5fe44e82e9a9ede4678d2c.exe

Proceed at your own risk

Guys, this /\ above unbricked my SII ATT.... key is that you have to have the latest version of Odin which is currently 1.8.5 loaded already, and you also have to have the most current version of Kies drivers updated and loaded on you PC. I still like the rooted sikyah version the best of all, this one is a huge battery suck with all the bloatware. But I can't get sikyah to load up the latest version from the z image files... I'm technically challenged when I get on the XDA board with all the gurus of code and software, I'm not geeky or smart enough.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't, but you may find that there are apps that aren't entirely compatible with ICS and will need to be updated. As far as your documents and media files, they should stay the same. All effort has been expended to make this an in-place update, but going from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich is a major step and I'd highly recommend that once you update you perform a factory reset and reinstall everything just to clean up the OS. Make sure you back up ALL your important data before you do, or you could lose it.

I believe the update is 4.0.3
Lunatick59 if i have done an upgrade to ICS and do a factory reset wont it go back to gingerbread? or will it reset to the latest ICS?

Upvote 0
I am using the new upgrade 4.0.3 and it's much slower, GS2 ATT. Is there a patch to make the speed at least the same as the previous version?
There isn't a patch to speed it up, but the best thing you can do is a factory reset. This solves most of the issues after a large update. Just beware that you'll have to backup all of your data before the reset and reinstall your apps after. I know it's a huge hassle, but the phone will run much better afterwards.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Just wondering how everyone is liking ICS now? I see some of you had updated to it in June.

My phone still says I have latest software. Haven't taken the time to hook phone to kies and check there.
I am not unhappy with my phone now and hope if I update to ICS I won't regret it.

I like it overall. But I get SMS lockups on occasion and it bugs me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones