• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icon change

dupek

Apr 4, 2012
Any one know where the icons are located. I want to change the phone icon. I did resize the icon to proper format and made transparent(png). Can not figure out where the icon is located. I saw in skin, phone, and some other places, but there got to be one place for all the system icons. Thanks.
Forgot to add that I am on stock deodexed jb rom.

Well, I found out that system icons are in Setings.apk. I use 7zip to de-compress the apk. I found the phone icon, rename and replace with mine. The problem that I have - how do I compress back to .apk. I was able to zip it and then rename the zip to apk, but will not install. Do I choose the no compression while making the zip file or regular compression?.

Upvote 0
I was able to replace the phone icon. I did "put up the fight". Android file system is so complicated and not organize well. Why not just make icon folder and drop all the icons there. To replace the phone icon, I had to replace in Settings.apk, Phone.apk and com.htc.resource.apk. Pain in the butt.
Now I got problem with finding the icon_launcher.programs icon. It is ugly and I want to replace it. I did change in Settings.apk and com.htc.resources.apk (not present in framework-htc-resources.apk). Where to hell is hiding from me?.

Reactions: erik917
Upvote 0
I did successfully replaced the icon_launcher_programs after "fighting" with the phone for a day. Then I found out that I replaced wrong icon. Back to the "drawing board". It supposed to be in skin, but I have "hard time" to locate it.
It supposed to be in M10 and I got the Virtuous Ten Studio. Still no luck.
If someone decided to replace the phone icon, then need to take some steps, otherwise the phone will go into FC. I replaced first in Settings.apk, Then in com.htc.resources.apk(will go into short FC, but stabilize) and then Phone.apk (will go into FC, just reboot. I did not extracted the icon, just open with 7z, copy to my folder, edited and put back. It is a challenge, but can be done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones