• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ICS for Esteem IDEA!!!

SpeedV

Oct 11, 2012
January 13th, 2012, 02:39 AM

This was the day that PlayfulGod started his little adventure towards acheiving ICS.

I have the remedy to this.

What we really need is a port from a device with a similar chipset that has ICS so that he can better continue with developing ICS.

This is what we need from a similar phone or at least the things needed for a build on the Esteem. If we can harness the separate part from another builds from another phone that has ICs than we can literally achieve an ICS port...but what we really need is a phone that has the same chipset as the esteem and has ICS.

GENERAL 2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900
3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G Network LTE 1700 / 2100
Announced 2011, September
Status Available. Released 2011, October
BODY Dimensions 128 x 67 x 13 mm
Weight 172 g
- Touch-sensitive controls
DISPLAY Type TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches (~217 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass
SOUND Alert types Vibration, MP3 ringtones
Loudspeaker Yes
3.5mm jack Yes
- Dolby Mobile sound enhancement
MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32GB
Internal 8 GB storage, 512 MB RAM
DATA GPRS No
EDGE No
Speed Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, LTE
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP, EDR
USB Yes, microUSB v2.0
CAMERA Primary 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Features Geo-tagging
Video Yes, 720p
Secondary Yes, 1.3 MP
FEATURES OS Android OS, v2.3.4 (Gingerbread)
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8655 Snapdragon
CPU 1 GHz Scorpion
GPU Adreno 205
Sensors Accelerometer, proximity, compass
Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
Browser HTML, Adobe Flash
Radio No
GPS Yes, with A-GPS support
Java Yes, via Java MIDP emulator
Colors Black
- Social networking integration
- HDMI port
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail
- YouTube, Google Talk
- MP4/H.264/H.263/DivX player
- MP3/WAV/WMA/eAAC+ player
- Document viewer
- Image editor
- Organizer
- Voice memo/dial/commands
- Predictive text input (Swype)
BATTERY Standard battery, Li-Ion 1500 mAh
Stand-by Up to 200 h
Talk time Up to 3 h 30 min

IT IS DIRTY but we dont want to just port ICS from a similar phone I want to get the parts needed for a stable ICS on the esteem.

I have looked all over the net and have come up empty handed...but I have not looked over in china...

Chinese phone companies have build a plethora of devices, and one of them could have the same chipset and ICS on it as does the esteem...

I think that is we get the parts needed for ICS instead of making it from scratch or modifying another

for example the LG Splendor US730...has many similarities as the esteem
Motorola Triumph
Samsung M930 Transform Ultra
HTC DROID Incredible 2....

and many more... maybe...

I dont know if this could work but its a new look at something that has been plaguing us for a whole year.

Thank you.
SpeedV

Reactions: mike28
YES, it is true that ics is Ok and jellybean is better, but the whole idea of porting ics from another device is to have a better and easier method of acheivig jellybean.

If only playfulgod looked at my idea.....maybe geting ics from the LG Splendor US730

....on a side note i see u have the prime....me to i have an issue that i posted on another forum (xda)... here's my issue

At the current moment my prime is being used as a daily driver. It is my college life all bundled in to one awesome device. Android version 4.0.3 ICS. It is rooted it has IML74. US_epad-9.4.2.28.2-20120529 It has latest superuser it has been backed up Voodoo OTA root keeper shows 100% The device is NOT UNLOCKED, it does not say that it is unlocked on start-up, ITS LOCKED but It has CWM 5.5.0.4 My first method of rooting was done though vipermods exploits Last time I updated I just flashed the proper/suitable stock .28 build that I have now through CWM from a rooted .21 stock I can flash custom roms for unlocked devices but I am worried about a possible brick if I update to JB....but i remember unlocking the device when i was in .21 build...or before that....i need some guidance

Or you can search for ".28 to JB help"

Upvote 0
Getting ics from the LG Splendor US730 (or similar chipset/phone type) and dirty porting it to the esteem...if playfulgod doesn't want to do it then he can get the "parts" of the rom from it and then mod it to fit the esteem

Dont get me wrong that seems like it could work but wouldnt it be harder to do this? I mean from my understanding about dirty ports is you still have to fit it and that could mean it will be a longer process. Yes cm9 is taking awhile but thats because its being made from ground up. (Less chance of not being compatible). If im wrong then im sorry but thats my understanding between the two.

Upvote 0
Dirty porting is bad and I should feel bad, BUT THERE IS NO WAY 1 SINGLE PERSON CAN DO EVERYTHING "from ground up" as bennyben stated.

Look it is true that building from the ground up is better, but it will take too long. (it has taken almost a year and all we have is a green screen, or whatever color it is, and a slugish UI)

I say the heck with that and lets play with some ports.

Other devs have done it...why cant we?

Why not start with the LG Splendor US730. It is nearly identical to the 910.

Do some tweaks with a rom and it may be possible.
It has the same chipset, same cpu, gpu

LOOK:
lg 910
OSAndroid OS, v2.3.4 (Gingerbread)ChipsetQualcomm MSM8655 SnapdragonCPU1 GHz ScorpionGPUAdreno 205

the 730
OSAndroid OS, v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)ChipsetQualcomm MSM8655 SnapdragonCPU1 GHz ScorpionGPUAdreno 205

They are the same...

I mean can playfulgod or any other dev look at the posibilaty?

I am going to D-U-R-E-X, on his/her thread to ask him for a rom.

someone spread the word out to PG.

Upvote 0
OS
Android 2.3.4; en-us; LG-MS910
BuildInfos
Android version : 2.3.4
API LEVEL : 10
CPU ABI : armeabi-v7a
Manufacturer : LGE
Bootloader : unknown
CPU ABI2 : armeabi
Hardware : qcom
Radio : unknown
Board : lge_bryce
Brand : MetroPCS
Device : MS910
Model : LG-MS910
Product : lge_bryce
Battery
Charging in progress…
Level : 31 %
Technology : Li-ion
Temperature : 35.0

Upvote 0
The Esteem is a msm7k not a MSM8655

PS moving you over to the Root section since this would require root at the end of the day ;)
the esteem is a msm8655 and compiles as a msm7x30.

I will not do a dirty port, tho anyone is more than welcome to try it.

I will take the system for the US730 to see if it helps.

;)

Reactions: Nyrickan
Upvote 0
I'm not going to add to the dirty port topic. lol

But i have had/have phones and tablets devices with cm9 and cm10 on it, so it's no biggie to me as everyone is also moving to other phones. But what PG myself and others have done for the esteem update is a miracle. Even the Revolution dont have nothing on the esteem.

Agreed. I'm not knocking cm in any way but AOKP is where it's at honestly. I've seen the light. Lol.

Upvote 0
[GUIDE]How To Port Different ROMS to Your Device (Simplest and Fastest) Many people have requested me to share the method which I am using to port roms..

THIS IS THE SIMPLEST AND FASTEST WAY TO PORT ROMS!!!

This is the method which I use in porting Roms-
Things Needed- Winrar, Notepad++

This is For Same Resolution Mobiles and You can use this Method to port roms From armv6 to armv7 devices but I dont know about the method used to port roms from armv7 to armv6 devices..

Quote:
What is base Rom:
Quote:
The ROM which is Developed For your Mobile..

Quote:
What is Port Rom:
Quote:
The Rom Which you want to port to your Device.

Quote:
STEP1;
Quote:
Take any clean CM9, AOSP, CM7, CM10 ROM which is running on your device as Base ROM.

Quote:
SREP2:
Quote:
Extract it Using Winrar.

Quote:
STEP3:
Quote:
Take the ROM you want to port. This Port ROM. Extract it also using Winrar.

Quote:
STEP4:
Quote:
Delete app, Framework, Fonts and Media folder in System Folder of Base ROM.

Quote:
STEP5:
Quote:
Now copy app, Framework, Fonts and Media folder in System Folder from Port rom to base rom system folder.

Quote:
STEP6:
Quote:
Now open etc folder in both the ROMs folder.

Quote:
STEP7:
Quote:
In etc folder of base ROM open permissions folder and copy the extra permissions in Port rom to your base ROM folder.

Quote:
STEP8:
Quote:
Now open buid.prop file using Notepad++ and make changes to these of Base Rom as you wish. Quote:
ro.build.id=
ro.build.display.id=
ro.build.date=
ro.modversion=

Quote:
STEP9:
Quote:
In build.prop file change these to same as Port Rom build.prop values. Quote:
ro.config.ringtone=
ro.config.notification_sound=
ro.config.alarm_alert=

Quote:
STEP10: Quote:
If You find any extra file or folder in system folder of PORT rom than copy them to your base rom system folder.

IF YOUR BASE ROM HAS ISSUES LIKE CAMERA ISSUE THAN YOUR PORTED ROM TOO WILL HAVE ISSUES.

NOW ZIP YOUR ROM AND POST IT BUT DON'T FORGET TO GIVE CREDITS TO THE DEVELOPER OF PORT ROM..

ALL CREDIT TO THIS METHOD GOES TO
rishabh.raj37

Can this work????

Thank You.

Upvote 0
[GUIDE]How To Port Different ROMS to Your Device (Simplest and Fastest) Many people have requested me to share the method which I am using to port roms..

THIS IS THE SIMPLEST AND FASTEST WAY TO PORT ROMS!!!

This is the method which I use in porting Roms-
Things Needed- Winrar, Notepad++

This is For Same Resolution Mobiles and You can use this Method to port roms From armv6 to armv7 devices but I dont know about the method used to port roms from armv7 to armv6 devices..

Quote:
What is base Rom:
Quote:
The ROM which is Developed For your Mobile..

Quote:
What is Port Rom:
Quote:
The Rom Which you want to port to your Device.

Quote:
STEP1;
Quote:
Take any clean CM9, AOSP, CM7, CM10 ROM which is running on your device as Base ROM.

Quote:
SREP2:
Quote:
Extract it Using Winrar.

Quote:
STEP3:
Quote:
Take the ROM you want to port. This Port ROM. Extract it also using Winrar.

Quote:
STEP4:
Quote:
Delete app, Framework, Fonts and Media folder in System Folder of Base ROM.

Quote:
STEP5:
Quote:
Now copy app, Framework, Fonts and Media folder in System Folder from Port rom to base rom system folder.

Quote:
STEP6:
Quote:
Now open etc folder in both the ROMs folder.

Quote:
STEP7:
Quote:
In etc folder of base ROM open permissions folder and copy the extra permissions in Port rom to your base ROM folder.

Quote:
STEP8:
Quote:
Now open buid.prop file using Notepad++ and make changes to these of Base Rom as you wish. Quote:
ro.build.id=
ro.build.display.id=
ro.build.date=
ro.modversion=

Quote:
STEP9:
Quote:
In build.prop file change these to same as Port Rom build.prop values. Quote:
ro.config.ringtone=
ro.config.notification_sound=
ro.config.alarm_alert=

Quote:
STEP10: Quote:
If You find any extra file or folder in system folder of PORT rom than copy them to your base rom system folder.

IF YOUR BASE ROM HAS ISSUES LIKE CAMERA ISSUE THAN YOUR PORTED ROM TOO WILL HAVE ISSUES.

NOW ZIP YOUR ROM AND POST IT BUT DON'T FORGET TO GIVE CREDITS TO THE DEVELOPER OF PORT ROM..

ALL CREDIT TO THIS METHOD GOES TO
rishabh.raj37

Can this work????

Thank You.
no working base rom except for GB ;) and from everything I have tried and/or been told CM7 doesnt support the RIL the Esteem uses. ;)

Upvote 0
It also works for Tattoo removal, headaches, burnt-out light bulbs, and Bullsharks too big to drag into the boat. (Especially with a boat full of friends screaming yelling "GET THAT F*****G THING OUT OF HERE!")

Now if only it would work on those disagreements mamabear and I have from time to time...

So - who's willing to try SpeedV's ICS idea?
I have a 3lb Ballpeen if need be...

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones