• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS on SGSII Epic 4G Touch

Where did you hear the Feb/March dates? AFAIK Samsung/Sprint hasn't announced any dates for the E4GT ... I imagine it will almost certainly be later than the "vanilla" Galaxy 2 phones.

From what little I've seen of ICS, I can't say that I love the "minimalist" approach that much ... getting rid of menus and the stick-figure icons don't thrill me. I'm sure there will be some nice features, but overall I'm not holding my breath.

As most of you know, ICS for our amazing phone will be out most likely late February to early March. What are you most excited about?

Upvote 0
Where did you hear the Feb/March dates? AFAIK Samsung/Sprint hasn't announced any dates for the E4GT ... I imagine it will almost certainly be later than the "vanilla" Galaxy 2 phones.

From what little I've seen of ICS, I can't say that I love the "minimalist" approach that much ... getting rid of menus and the stick-figure icons don't thrill me. I'm sure there will be some nice features, but overall I'm not holding my breath.

First of all, I have my sources. :p
Second, all of those features will be replaced with another, easier way to do it. I think that it's a good idea, because one of my friends has been whining his ass off about how "Android (Gingerbread) is too hard to use." -_-

Upvote 0
Just picked up my phone and it said UPDATE - Ice cream sandwich and it listed all these improved features. I hit the update button and all of a sudden the GrooveShark app updated... then is app said installed. I rebooted the phone and selected the for system updates and it said my phone was up to date. but it did not upgrade ICS. What happen? is it out yet? very weird..

Upvote 0
Just picked up my phone and it said UPDATE - Ice cream sandwich and it listed all these improved features. I hit the update button and all of a sudden the GrooveShark app updated... then is app said installed. I rebooted the phone and selected the for system updates and it said my phone was up to date. but it did not upgrade ICS. What happen? is it out yet? very weird..

You probably just had a small maintenance update not OS.

Upvote 0
to be honest, I really don't care about getting ICS on this device. Yes, I want to be up to date, but it is something I can wait for. With Touchwiz on it, I highly doubt there will be much difference. Maybe a couple new features, but with the custom UI and Samsung's own skins for their camera and so forth, how different do you think your epic touch will be after the ICS update? Those running vanilla android will probably see a much bigger difference than us who are running on a custom UI.

Upvote 0
Sprint has hinted that the update will be by the first week in March... You have to keep in mind too, the update wont be to all devices at the same time. They will spread it around like the other updates. So if its available tomorrow, don't expect to be the first one to get it. You may have to wait a week or so.

And I too hate touchwiz. I would love to be able to install a custom rom on my galaxy s2. there has been little support for it, however, with the Nexus being released for Sprint also, we should expect to see some support. I haven't gotten a chance to look at differences between the two devices but I can hope that they are similar enough to make ROM porting easier. There has been little support for alternative ROMs from major players (CM7 ect)

Upvote 0
Device(s):

icon1.gif

FB 21 is up thanks to Calk...;)

[ ROM ] Stock Rooted FB21 System [ ICS / OS 4.0.3 ] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Ronny, how complicated is this to do. I have rooted before on many devices but the original Epic was the only device I bricked so I am a little nervous to try.

You won't brick the phone (If you follow the directions and take your time...)...Go to qbkings77's videos (On You Tube...He's the Best !!!!!!...) on how to root your phone and install Clockwork Recovery Mod... with these processes installed you can always go back thru Odin to get the tar file back to go to completely stock like it came from Sprint right outta the box...

By the way I've Bricked my Phone twice and got right back up and Runnin usin Odin...

Ive done all the leaks on the ICS up to fb 21...The last was about the best...But there are still bugs but not everyones phone gets them...I still don't have Sprint Visual Voice Mail...But now have GPS which I didn't have before...But I'm just playin with them...They won't be a Daily Driver for me...Until they do the Final which will be pusged to our phones in March...But our Devs will have them first so we'll see it before the General Public...

Right Now...I'm back to my stable Calks 2.91 Rom which is the best out there in my opinion...I'm runnin a Custom Kernel and my Touch is overclocked at 1.6...It is unbelievably fast...And I'm happy with that...

So if you want to root follow the directions to a T...take your time install the processes follow the directions and you'll have root and get yourself a nice Custom Rom and Kernel...Then if you want to play around with ICS you can...You won't brick the Phone and if you do there are plenty of people on here and other Forums...XDA is the best in My Opinion...Good Luck and have fun...If I can help in any way let me know...:cool:

Upvote 0
Just saying, even experienced dev's over at XDA are bricking their e4gt's trying to flash the leaks and countless others experienced problems "updating" it to a newer leak or going back to stock without following the exact directions.

Would not seriously recommend going to any of the ICS leaks unless you're absolutely determined, know what you're doing, and know that you might brick your phone...

I'll live with calkulins 2.9.1 till the entire installation process for the leaks are clarified / simplified.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones