• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS update?

Updates went perfect, all done now upto 2.3.6, thanks for the links and help. most appreciated. Just need to way up the pros and cons of going to ICS now, and then the correct way to do it safely.:):):):)

IMHO - all pros and no cons. I would point to one caveat and that is that you should ensure that all data (including the USB partition aka SD card) is deleted. It is such a big improvement over gingerbread. :)

Upvote 0
Not here in Vancouver, yet. Though I'm rooted and running AndroidMe 1.1 which is stable as can be and no fluffy add-on tweaks.
I don't think the Canadian carriers have had the ICS update yet. I'm guessing it was put on hold after reports of some issues with ICS on other variants so they want to ensure it works properly on the I9020a model before issuing it to us. My Nexus S is working fine, so I don't mind waiting, but I'm looking forward to having ICS on it when it arrives.
;)

Upvote 0
I don't think the Canadian carriers have had the ICS update yet. I'm guessing it was put on hold after reports of some issues with ICS on other variants so they want to ensure it works properly on the I9020a model before issuing it to us. My Nexus S is working fine, so I don't mind waiting, but I'm looking forward to having ICS on it when it arrives.
;)

I suspect the same as well.

btw, you are going to like ICS, makes it a whole new phone imho. The look and feel is nice and uniform plus the battery life and speed increases are noticable.

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how to get the most official ICS 4.0.3 on my Canadian Nexus S? I'm ready to do it. Do I have to root the phone or anything?
You don't need to root to apply the non-official update, however the only update that works requires flashing the firmware and correct radio for the GSM model, and even then it seems a little flaky with mediocre battery life. The version that is used is actually the AWS version (Wind 9020t), so if you have a Wind model you can just update without issues. But if you have the Rogers/Bell/Telus (robelus 9020a) model, it's more of a hassle. I'm still waiting for the official update to avoid headaches on my 9020a model.

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how to get the most official ICS 4.0.3 on my Canadian Nexus S? I'm ready to do it. Do I have to root the phone or anything?

The short answer is, no, you don't have to root to flash an official ROM (ICS) onto your device. You do, however, need to flash a recovery image in order to flash the ROM images onto the Nexus. This will always be temporary and has to be reflashed each and every time you intend on using the recovery. The only way to have a permanent custom recovery is by rooting. That said, I'm not famiiar with North American mobile operators and hence, I don't know what model you have (e.g. i9020, i9023, i9020A/T). This is crucial in choosing the custom recovery image. Make sure you get that right and google the subject of updating the Nexus S to ICS 4.0.3 - there are many helpful sites and here are a couple like www.nexusshacks.com and Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers . Currently you can only use the stock US ICS ROM to 'upgrade' via the initial US Gingerbread 2.3 to 2.3.6 versions. So you have to start with flashing the original GB 2.3x onto your Nexus and then going through the device update procedure (around 5 times) to end up with the US ICS 4.0.3 version. Beware, you'll omnly have the US localisation (i.e. keyboard). However, there is an easy way around this by downloading free apps from the market (like 'set locale and language') to overcome this problem.
I know this is convaluted but there seems to be no ohter way at present - except wait until you get your carrier to update your device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones