• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Illegal content in the Market??

Wow! I must not be searching the right places for illegal apps. The only one that I know of is Mabilo. That one is probably not legal even if it does just store a clip of music on your phone. There is no DRM protection and it isn't sanctioned by the RIAA. I think that Mabilo came off of the official market though. You have to go to their site for the download.

Look up "preschool girls 4 u."

If that doesn't send the Feds to your house, then I dunno what will. I haven't heard of a big-name app being taken down because it was illegally distributing copyrighted material. If it's on the Market, it's legal, most likely. If it wasn't, it would be taken down before we average Joes got to it.

They said that they were going to start coming down on pirated apps. Apps that were downloaded and installed third-party. What're they gonna do? Make us delete them? Fine us? They may make it tougher, but they won't go all RIAA on us.

Upvote 0
I use the Aldiko reader, so can't speak to the programs being referenced here. But I think you're imagining an entire page of a book displayed on the Eris screen, that's not the way it works. The text displayed on the screen is basically the same size as the text in the typical paperback book. So it takes about 4 Eris 'pages' to equal 1 book page. You turn a lot more 'pages' to read a book, but you don't need a magnifying glass to do it. :)

The text is definitely readable, but as far as how many page turns, you basically scroll till you reach the end of the physical book page then you have a page turn. It's not bad actually. It's basically a self contained reader so you don't have to have a reader installed. It's actually pretty cool.

Upvote 0
here's some other things to consider:

It does not matter if the digital content is sanctioned or not. If you bought a legal copy you theoretically can do whatever you want with it, AS LONG AS you don't decide to distribute it it any way. They really don't care. You can rip it to your iPod, PC, media center, etc. If you choose to distribute that copy through bit torrent, FTP, thats where the problem come.

OK Instead of ripping you decide to download it through non-sanctioned means (bit torrent, etc.) Whether or not you already own the original copy means nothing. You can still get busted, typically your ISP will be notified and they may suspend your account.

They go after downloaders as well as uploaders. I think if you upload you have more of a chance of getting sued.

Getting caught of either usually means a letter to your ISP (since they don't have YOUR info they contact your ISP via email with the content in question and the IP associated with it) who in turn notes your account and notifies you via email. Your ISP has the choice of either warning you, temporarily suspending your account (which means you have to call and "promise" not to do it again), or just terminate your internet access.

Upvote 0
The market has a lot of apps that are probably questionable, for example i did a search and found at least 5 apps that let you search and download music for free. Nothing about legally or not. A good example is Music Junk, which WAS pulled from the market earlier this year. Also think about all the apps that have sound bites from movies or music that are free. Because the android market is not nearly as monitored as the iTunes market there's a lot of grey area apps or straight illegal apps out there. What about apps that have free digital copies of the twilight books or the popular girl with the dragon tattoo book?

and no i'm not a lawyer....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones