• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incoming SMS With No Sender's Number

Vlad Soare

Jun 13, 2015
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I keep receiving spam from my carrier. I'd like to add the sender's number to the spam list, but the problem is, there's no such number. In the Messages app the sender is displayed as Vodafone. Trying to add that to the spam list gives me an "invalid number" error.

I'm sure there is a real number behind that name. When I received spam from Vodafone on my dumb phone, the sender would be shown as a short number, like 2877. But the Android tries to be smarter by displaying the name (I have no idea where it gets that from).

What can I do to get rid of them? Is there any way of seeing the sender's number, so I can add it to the spam list? Or a way of adding the Vodafone sender to the spam list?

Thank you.

Last edited:
It's completely possible to have spam SMS that do not have originating phone numbers at all, if they're sent from an Internet service. There's no way to see a number, because there just isn't one.

Might be possible to get your carrier, Vodafone to block them, that is any message that comes from a "unknown number" or "private number".

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I know it's possible, but on my dumb phone these messages do have a number (and no name) attached, which makes me suspect that the Messages app chooses to display a name instead of the number.

I don't want to block all messages coming from unknown or private numbers, because there are legitimate ones I wouldn't want to miss (like alerts from my bank when money goes into or out of my account). I just want this specific sender to be blocked.

Upvote 0
Even if it only applies to content, it will still work, because most messages do contain that word. Like "Vodafone is now offering you the unique opportunity to...", or "go to www.vodafone.ro for more details", or something along those lines. :D

Ultimately I can ask them to stop sending me spam. They are required by law to offer me the possibility to opt out. In the end I'll probably do that, but for now I wanted to see if I could handle it myself. Somehow I find it more rewarding to protect myself than to ask the aggressor nicely and politely to stop bugging me. :D

Upvote 0
Even if it only applies to content, it will still work, because most messages do contain that word. Like "Vodafone is now offering you the unique opportunity to...", or "go to www.vodafone.ro for more details", or something along those lines. :D

Ultimately I can ask them to stop sending me spam. They are required by law to offer me the possibility to opt out. In the end I'll probably do that, but for now I wanted to see if I could handle it myself. Somehow I find it more rewarding to protect myself than to ask the aggressor nicely and politely to stop bugging me. :D

Here's the thing though, EU and country specific consumer marketing laws don't apply to Nigeria or Ghana or India or Pakistan or Russia or China, or wherever these spam messages might be coming from.

Upvote 0

Me too mate. It's more satisfying and "hacky" :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones