• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing foreign Android version...

First... I'm quite lost in the more technical areas. User, not a messer... if you know what I mean. So there might be stupid questions. On top of that English isn't my first language, so stupid questions might look even more stupid. Just bare with me...

The Swedish version of 4.1.2 to the N8010 was supposed to be released in Dec/Jan, but hasn't been released yet. This time Samsung won't give an estimated time either. Many with me here have gotten tired of this and they have installed the German version with Odin instead, like the instructions on DroidViews site (link wasn't allowed in this first post of mine).

These are guys who aren't as insecure as myself when it comes to these "less conventional" ways to do stuff. I need to know for sure that there is an easy way back before I start a trip to somewhere I've never been before. The heaviest questionmark here is regarding the factory restore:
If I install a foreign version, will that in any way affect the factory restore? Will a factory restore after installing it take me back to the Swedish tablet that I bought, or will it take me to a clean German version?

Hope I managed to describe my dillema in a way that could be understood.

Thanks in advance!

It depends. If you want to have a solid way back, you're going to need the Sweedish firmware to restore back. It will screw up your update path and will put you on the German path. This is all assuming that the flash is successful of course and doesn't screw things up(which it can do). If you do find the Sweedish firmware, store it somewhere safe on your computer and you should be able to get back via Odin as well.

Edit: I've moved this into the All Things Root subforum to help it get seen by more specialized eyes.

Reactions: Runarsson
Upvote 0
I think that said it all. It was the information I needed, though sadly not saying what I had wished for. If something can get screwed up with Odin and I need to go back the same uncertain Odin road so I (hopefully) can restore back... then it's not for me.

I guess I will stick with my waiting... maybe also stop reading all these "It's wonderful! Totally worth it!"-posts.

Thank you anyway. I'm glad that I'm not afraid to ask when I'm unsure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones