• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Intermittent "vibrate" function

wmm

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
The "vibrate" function on my Nexus One has recently become flaky. I'll be typing along in Swype and then suddenly the phone will stop vibrating on touches. Generally it stays off for a while (until I switch apps and put the phone in standby) and then it will fix itself.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or possibly a bug in the most recent version of Swype. (I think the vibration stopped once recently while I was doing something other than text entry via Swype, but I don't recall the details.) Anyone have an opinion?

If it is a hardware problem, I'm wondering if I should try replacing the battery? I know that on some phones the vibrate function is part of the battery, but I don't know if the Nexus One is that way or not.

Suggestions appreciated.

Or, to be more precise still, it is the vibration that is used for haptic feedback. I haven't received a call or text during the interval when the phone won't vibrate for haptic feedback, so I don't actually know if that would be affected or not. That would be an interesting experiment; I'll try it (call myself from a landline) next time the haptic feedback stops working.

I'll also try using SlideIT instead of Swype for a couple of days to see if it happens apart from Swype or not.

Upvote 0
Everything works fine, including the Home and Back buttons; there's just no vibration. Which is frustrating, because there's sometimes a bit of lag processing the Back button, and a couple of times I've thought I had missed the button and hit it again, only to find that I've exited the application instead of just going back one screen.

Upvote 0
I don't think there's a problem with either my digitizer or screen protector; all my screen touches are registered reliably and do what they were intended to do. It's just that for a few minutes at a time once in a while the phone doesn't vibrate to confirm that the touch was registered, even though it actually was.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I got my Nexus One the day it was released, so it's now out of warranty. I guess I can live with the flaky vibration if I have to, but that's why I was asking if the vibrator is in the battery -- I can get a replacement battery with a lot less hassle and cost than sending the whole phone in for service.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I got my Nexus One the day it was released, so it's now out of warranty. I guess I can live with the flaky vibration if I have to, but that's why I was asking if the vibrator is in the battery -- I can get a replacement battery with a lot less hassle and cost than sending the whole phone in for service.

I seem to have the exact same problem, started occurring shortly after I got it.
For what it's worth it hasn't gotten worse over time and only occurs when excessively using the touch buttons, or feedback.
I turned of vibration for swype and I rarely experience the problem anymore. I DO think when it stops working, it also does so for calls and notifications.

Upvote 0
I've verified that it has nothing to do with Swype. I was just reading some stuff in my RSS reader this evening (hadn't used Swype since the last time I rebooted the phone) and the vibration stopped working. I tried calling myself from a landline, and indeed both the haptic feedback and the phone ring notification were missing. I'm not sure what causes it to come back, but it always seems to after a few minutes without my doing anything special; maybe it's just leaving it in suspend mode for a little while. Oh, well, the phone's a year old now; I'm sure something will come along in a few months that I'll be eager to upgrade to, and this will give me a little bit more of an excuse! :)

Upvote 0
My nexus also had issues with the vibration failing. I tried all the software options, and no luck making it come back. Alarms were vibrationless, haptic feedback gone. Well, it has to be electro-mechanical then.

If you feel up to it, and want to crack open the nexus to attempt a repair, read on.

Found a site for the full nexus teardown:
Nexus One Teardown - iFixit

Since the vibration motor is in the bottom of the nexus, you actually don't have to open the main battery section. The ifixit site was a little vague on the opening of the bottom section, so I will go into more detail on how I managed to open it:

Hmm, I don't know how to insert images inline with text.

Anyhow image 1 shows how I jammed an old creditcard that was sharpened flat under the metal backing. This allowed me to get a tool underneath the plastic cover.

Image 2 shows the bottom cover pried open. If at first you don't succeed, pry pry again.

Image 3 shows the bottomless nexus. The torx screw and the philips screw need to be removed.

Image 4 shows the removal of the motor. As noted on the ifixit site, the plastic frame lightly grabs the circuitboard, so flex the corners a little so as to release its hold on the circuitboard.

Image 5 shows the bottom section of the nexus splayed open. Note the gold contacts and where they meet. One of the antennas is taped on the plastic frame.

Image 6 shows the vibrating motor. Spin the counterweight in case the motor has seized for some reason (not likely).

Image 7 shows the more likely issue of the flex tabs for the motor not making contact to the pads on the circuitboard. Lightly overflex the tabs so that they will make better contact when re-assembled. You might was well overflex the tabs on the circuitboard for the antenna contact so they have nice pressure when re-assembled.

Image 8 shows the bottom section re-assembled. Don't forget to re-install the torx and philips screws. I forgot the first time! But, I decided to take pictures the second time. Test the nexus to see if the vibration is back. Make some calls, and use the wifi to make sure the antenna is on properly.

Image 9 is the bottom cap re-installed with some slight battle scars.

Hurray, haptic feedback has returned for me.

LAW

Attachments

• 1_creditcard.jpg
    1_creditcard.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2_prybar.jpg
    2_prybar.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 3_bottomless.jpg
    3_bottomless.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 4_remove_motor.jpg
    4_remove_motor.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 5_display_motor.jpg
    5_display_motor.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 6_spin_counterweight.jpg
    6_spin_counterweight.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 80
  • 7_flex_tabs.jpg
    7_flex_tabs.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 142
  • 8_reinstall_test.jpg
    8_reinstall_test.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 9_all_better_now.jpg
    9_all_better_now.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones