• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Ausdim kernel

Sydney99

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2011
UK
Hi guys, I promised I'd report back....

The so-called ausdim kernel is flashable and works on 4.2.2 samsung roms such as omega and Djembey. In his words "this is a kernel compiled from GT-I9505G sources and packed with MF8 initramfs....Is not something special, is a stock kernel i compile because i see some diffs between I9505 & I9505G sources.."

It's main pros are that you can overclock, limit the CPU frequency, undervolt, switch governors and schedulers etc. You do this using the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigeyes0x0.trickstermod&hl=en Trickster mod app from play store.

You can download the kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2342298, although the latest "test" version, version 12, is rock stable and appears slightly better, available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43970516.

Simply download zip and flash thru your custom recovery.

Features:
Updated Linux kernel to latest 3.4.54.
Reworked from scratch CPU OC - UC - VD. (Many thanks to @
ktoonsez))
All cores runs at frequencie you set.
(That is very important and you can chek it with
kernel tuner app from playstore)
All cores runs on ondemand governor.
(That is also very important and you can again chek it with
kernel tuner app from playstore)
Added faux sound control (Thanks to @
faux123 for his work)
Added kthermal and auto_hotplug. "mpdecision is not works because auto_hotplug take his place if you whant to completly remove mpdecision you can rename /system/bin/mpdecision to mpdecision.back but if you change to other kernel do not forget to rename the file". (Thanks again to @
ktoonsez))
Max CPU OC @ 2160000. (I dont need more)
wink.gif

GPU OC steps 128/200/320/450/600 (Disable some frequencies because of the new method ktoonsez use to OC, all apps exept his app doesnt whant to set anything).
Added Fading-led mod and it is working with everything, Missed call-sms user apps etc... :p
Disabled Gentle Fair Sleepers.
Enable Fat/MSdos/Vfat and Ntfs(as module) Filesystems (Thanks to @
ktoonsez))
Added CIFS as module.
Ioschedulers: row-bfq-noop-deadline-fiops-sio-vr-zen-fifo-cfq.
Added fast charge.

Verdict
Had on for several days, have limited CPU and undervolted. Rock stable and all apps on phone working glitch free, no fc's. Doesn't make a huge difference as stock kernel already very good indeed, but slightly better battery for me.
Great if you want to squeeze every drop of battery out of your phone, or experiment with overclocking and performance.

version 13 up

@V13
Updated Linux kernel to latest 3.4.55.
Added an option to app to control the led (Fade - non fade - speed)
Added an app to manage some basic kernel features based on scripts thanks to HM.Carbide.
Created a new function called set_cpu_min_max which will set the cores specified using a workqueue. (Many thanks to ktoonsez)
Fixed Screen-Off Mhz fuction. (Now is working) 
Auto-Hotplug enabled by default.

Source code:
https://github.com/ausdim/GE-Edition-I9505-jfltexx
I

So far rock solid. The new app to control/tweak the kernel is very good, an easy ui to control the usual governor, scheduler, cpu frequency, undervolting, led etc etc.

Well worth a look....

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Finally got around to trying this kernel at the weekend, mainly because of an exchange between Hawker and PhilZ on xda.

No problems in installing the kernel which is based on the Android 4.3, Google Play kernel and comes with its own settings that are automatically installed and are similar to ExTweak and STweaks.

The settings offer a range of governors, schedulers and over/under clocking and volting plus various other options including LED flash speed.

In a nutshell, I'm afraid that this kernel did not live up to my expectations and that for my needs and battery usage, it fell short of the stock kernel on Power saving for me.

I used the kernel on its default settings and noticed a slight lag and the occasional hiccup when playing videos through MX Player.

For my needs, which are few and simple and involve a heavy usage at the beginning and end of the day with a light usage the rest of the time, I could not rely on it seeing me through until bedtime or closing time, unlike the stock kernel which has proved time and again it can do.

This is the third custom kernel that I have tried and I must say, from my point of view and usage, the stock kernel is still favourite.

Reactions: dynomot and Hawker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones