• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Best KitKat custom ROM for S4 i9505 - Echoe, Google Edition, Cyanogenmod

I'm interested in changing my S4 i9505 to a custom ROM. The main reason is to avoid the limitations of Samsung Knox (information here and here), which limits flexibility. I want to keep root and the ability to use custom ROMS in future. The main things I want to do are let apps do things like turn airplane mode on, reboot the phone periodically, plus little bits and pieces.

The main things I want from a phone are stability (critical), then flexibility and performance. Stability and reliability really are important. Extra features like waving my hand over the phone to have it tell me the time are useful, but I don't do any fancy gestures.

The ROMs I'm considering are:

Echoe Rom
Pros: Based on TouchWiz, so has all the right drivers. Samsung bloat presumably removed, though not sure. A few apps and extra behaviour introduced. Probably supports air gestures.
Cons: Less well known/trustworthy. Touchwiz keeps apps seperated into normal and downloaded, downloaded isn't sorted - that's just annoying.
XDA Link: [UPDATE 10 Dec][ANDROID 4.4][ROM][I9505] Echoe Kit Kat v.1.2 (OTA CUSTOMIZATION) - xda-developers
Notes: unsure how the slim version is different from the full version. Must flash the MJ5 modem. KitKat version appears to be based on google edition ROM and doesn't appear to be fully working yet. Lots of discussion here suggests there's a bit of knowledge and hackery required to get it all working perfectly.

Google Edition
Pros: Stock, well known and trusted, frequent updates. Should be fast, flexible, and reliable.
Cons: Updates may have to be applied manually (no problem). Unsure whether all the correct drivers are present for all the hardware, for the proper Google Edition phone Samsung builds it with the drivers. Suspect it's done fine.
XDA Link: [ROM] Google Edition S4 rom for i9505[5 Dec][deodexed & odexed rom 4.4, 4.3 & 4.2.2] - xda-developers
Guide: Update Galaxy S4 (LTE) I9505 to Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition [GUIDE] - IBTimes UK

Cyanogenmod
Pros: Well known, trusted, supported, tested. It's almost a commercial distribution. Based on ASOP so should be pretty clean.
Cons: on my old TF101 tablet it rebooted occasionally, though a friend of mine says it was great on his S2 and battery life was better than stock firmware
XDA link: [ROM][PORT] CyanogenMod 11 | KitKat | BUILD 8 | 29 Nov ] - xda-developers
Guide: Update Galaxy S4 (LTE) I9505 to Android 4.4 KitKat with CyanogenMod 11 ROM [GUIDE] - IBTimes UK

I'd appreciate hearing from people who've tried any of these ROMs on their i9505 or who can compare them. Also interested in LTE support.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

i run echoe 4.4 KitKat, it has no TW, no Samsung apps as its a google edition

its also one of the most stable KK roms available for the s4

I believe the rom you will be looking for is the echoe v10 slim, that does all the things you say youre looking for.

for a truly stable tw rom i would look at either xnote or echoe

CM11 is not running so great and the latest nightly is raping peoples batteries

Upvote 0
You're correct, I got a couple of things wrong. I learned as I went, didn't update my post sorry. This whole area is a little confusing, even for a software developer type guy who has good general technical knowledge and six months Android experience.

The Echoe KitKat ROM seems to be based on google edition ROM, but the 4.3 ROM based on the Samsung TouchWiz ROM.

The echoe ROM website is built by Android ROM hackers for other Android ROM hackers. It has no useful information for random Android users interested in using their ROM, just link, no guides, no tutorials, nothing about why to use echoe or how it's better than other ROMs. Documentation is always 7th priority in most projects, especially by hackers more interested in doing cool stuff than support. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones