• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Failed restore with Philz, no idea how or why.

dynomot

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2011
Sheffield U.K
Yes, yes, I know I own a Note 3, but I want some input (no point on my device's rooting forum :( ).

After running rooted stock for seemingly ever I ventured into XDA found a kernel I could tweak to death (Ultimate v63) Did a Nandroid, and flashed away. Didn't like it, it wasn't stable, even with default settings so I decided to restore my Nandroid and go from there. Big mistake. On booting every and any process you can think of FCed (ie stopped) repeatedly, rendering the phone useless. I didn't even have time to acknowledge one before another popped up; I even had to pull the battery to stop it. So I went into recovery (Philz v6.13 for Note 3), did a wipe, and tried again. Same thing. Did a mega wipe (where you have to install a new ROM straight after) and restored my Nandroid, same thing. Now silly me only had that one Nandroid that was 4.4.2 (and we all know you can't go back) so I spent three and half hours hours reflashing the stock ROM from Odin, rerooting, installing CWM rather than Philz (which I'm not sure Is to blame) and setting up my device with all my apps (a very ancient TB backup was available, so ancient as to be obsolete so I didn't bother), tweaking, installing my mods etc, etc.

Why did it happen? Anyone any ideas? The Nandroid passed it's Md5 checksum and was made direct from me manually entering recovery and restored exactly the same way.

I Just want to avoid another repeat of the debacle.

Only replying cos I feel sorry for you not having had any here yet......

I really have no idea what could be wrong though, unless the version of recovery had changed between making the back up and restoring it?

Lol, sntaylor. I think rustybum hasn't replied because he's still trying to get his hairy palms to work the fingerprint scanner on his new S5.

Seriously, and in answer, no, it was the same (ancient) version of Philz recovery I used to make and restore the Nandroid. I did it on the fly at work as well. I use Sygic on the phone rather than a dedicated sat nav. I had to buy an A to Z to find the street/roads I was working on, fortunately my last three jobs were all in the peak district so I only had to buy the one. My phone was useless until I got to my PC. It was horrible. I didn't think it would be that much of a bind not having it, boy was I wrong. No music (of my choice), no sat nav, no internet, no Netflix no FB, No Twitter etc etc. The last hour and a half at work were on "Standby" where my area is worked up and I have to sit there to see if anything comes in. I actually went into a supermarket and bought a paper back to read (Dan Brown -Inferno) I was that bored.

Upvote 0
Lol, sntaylor. I think rustybum hasn't replied because he's still trying to get his hairy palms to work the fingerprint scanner on his new S5.

I'm replying on the Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5 forums and now you want me to get involved wit the Hobbit, (Galaxy Note 3), phone. Please, feel free to stick a broom up my jacksie and I can sweep the Android Forum floors while I'm at it! ;)

Seriously, and in answer, no, it was the same (ancient) version of Philz recovery I used to make and restore the Nandroid. I did it on the fly at work as well. I use Sygic on the phone rather than a dedicated sat nav. I had to buy an A to Z to find the street/roads I was working on, fortunately my last three jobs were all in the peak district so I only had to buy the one. My phone was useless until I got to my PC. It was horrible. I didn't think it would be that much of a bind not having it, boy was I wrong. No music (of my choice), no sat nav, no internet, no Netflix no FB, No Twitter etc etc. The last hour and a half at work were on "Standby" where my area is worked up and I have to sit there to see if anything comes in. I actually went into a supermarket and bought a paper back to read (Dan Brown -Inferno) I was that bored.

I would probably have recommended downloading and installing the stock firmware and re-rooting and installing the PhilZ recovery before trying to do a nandroid restore. This sort of thing commonly happens when trying to do a nandroid restore over, say, a CM ROM where the partitions have been mucked about with.

I'll just go and make the tea for everyone on here now, shall I? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
There has been an influx of problems lately since CM merged its kernel sources with the latest Samsung kernel sources. Problems relating to BT/Wifi/3G/4G/Signal predominantly, but also regarding access to external SD. This latter problem has also affected recoveries as they are closely tied in with CM kernels, but their success at performing operations to the external sd card seems to be a bit of a game of Russian Roulette at the moment.

As far as recoveries are concerned, in my personal experience, the latest Philz (6.58.7) and TWRP (2.8.0.1) have both been affected. (TWRP far moreso)

Again, going on my personal experience, I've not experienced any external-sd-related problems with neither PhilZ 6.58.4 or TWRP 2.7.1.0, so my advice for now would be to stick with one of these two versions for the foreseeable future, or at least until CM have ironed out their kernel issues.

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones