• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Factory Reset - Lose Root?

I've run into an issue where the Facebook for Android app won't work from my Titanium Backup, and after some ill-done tinkering, the Market won't let me uninstall (or reinstall) the version I've got on my rooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus. (Basically, Facebook for Android is unusable, but I can't uninstall it.) Since I don't have too much on my phone anyway, if I were to do a factory reset to remove any broken files left on my phone from Facebook, would I break root? I'm running stock version 4.0.2.

Thanks!

You could also try a fix permissions from ROM Manager.

FWIW, as a general rule, you should NEVER install apps back from a Titanium backup, unless you have a really good reason to. Always install the app from the market/amazon/sideload. Then go into Titanium and restore data only for the app.

75% of the time, the app+data works fine, but the 25% of the time it can really muck something up and you'll pull your hair out tracing down the rogue app that's screwy. Much easier to just install clean and be done with it. Especially since this is such a radical change from gingerbread to ICS.

(yes, I did pull those percentages out of my azz, but you get the point).

Upvote 0
You could also try a fix permissions from ROM Manager.

FWIW, as a general rule, you should NEVER install apps back from a Titanium backup, unless you have a really good reason to. Always install the app from the market/amazon/sideload. Then go into Titanium and restore data only for the app.

75% of the time, the app+data works fine, but the 25% of the time it can really muck something up and you'll pull your hair out tracing down the rogue app that's screwy. Much easier to just install clean and be done with it. Especially since this is such a radical change from gingerbread to ICS.

(yes, I did pull those percentages out of my azz, but you get the point).

Restoring user apps with TiBU shouldn't cause any issues, it basically sideloads the app. I will agree that system apps/data shouldn't be restored with TiBU.

The issue the OP is having appears to be a facebook issue with the data restore feature. I have seen it notated in several rom threads where you can clear data for the facebook app and it will function afterwards regardless of if it was installed from the market or restored via TiBU

Upvote 0
there really is no reason to backup app/data for facebook imo. I never do. I always just install it from the market. Once you add your account then your back to where you were.

I agree, but with the batch backup/restore feature with TiBU if you use facebook then it is more work to exclude it from the batch [Yeah I am lazy :eek: but I don't use facebook :p]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones